Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OHL etc start up on December 1st?
upload_2020-8-4_16-57-23.png

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
December 1st is the current start date, which will be the same timeline as the AHL. Likely no Damiani, Ingham, Noel returning.

I imagine this would mean players report around early November.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
December 1st is the current start date, which will be the same timeline as the AHL. Likely no Damiani, Ingham, Noel returning.

I imagine this would mean players report around early November.

difference is AHL is like 80% US based. Not sure their timeline will work out for Dec 1st with fans.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Jeeze games are going to be crammed together with this schedule.

I was wondering this the other day fellow Aud attendees. At what point will you go back to the games? If the season starts and they say STH are allowed abck in the arena at 50% capacity, no bathrooms, or food places open, would you go ? Or will you be waiting it out longer for a vaccine or just less uncertainties?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Toronto, Ont. – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that it is planning to return to play on December 1, 2020, subject to ensuring that the players, fans, staff and community are able to play and attend games safely. Over the next four months the League will continue to work with government and health agencies to finalize outstanding issues such as safe attendance at venues and cross border travel for teams and players.
“We are looking forward to getting back to playing hockey, but are committed to ensuring that we do so in a manner that is safe and healthy for our players, officials, families, billets, teams, staff, fans and the community,” said OHL Commissioner David Branch. “Players will remain at home until the season resumes and teams will work closely with them on both their academic studies and overseeing their on and off-ice development. In addition, the League will liaise with our facilities to ensure that our venues are safe for our return to play.”
The season will include a 64-game schedule and a 16-team playoff format. The regular season is scheduled to end on Thursday April 29, 2021. The 102nd Memorial Cup presented by Kia is scheduled to be played June 17-27, 2021 and will be hosted by either the Oshawa Generals or Soo Greyhounds.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I was wondering this the other day fellow Aud attendees. At what point will you go back to the games? If the season starts and they say STH are allowed abck in the arena at 50% capacity, no bathrooms, or food places open, would you go ? Or will you be waiting it out longer for a vaccine or just less uncertainties?

At this point, I am waiting for more details. It is mostly about the game for me so I could care less about the food areas. (My God! How are the Rangers going to survive without selling their quota of $10 beers!) They cannot open the place without some sort of access to washrooms. 50% capacity?.......I thought STH made up more than 50% so there is a logistics problem that needs to be worked out there. If we are all "sharing" then, of course, I want the games that I miss reimbursed. And even at 50% capacity, I am sure I will be in the same row as those kids that go to the concessions 3 times a period, excusing themselves while stepping on my toes, even though they are only 2 seats away from the aisle if they went THE OTHER WAY!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
At this point, I am waiting for more details. It is mostly about the game for me so I could care less about the food areas. (My God! How are the Rangers going to survive without selling their quota of $10 beers!) They cannot open the place without some sort of access to washrooms. 50% capacity?.......I thought STH made up more than 50% so there is a logistics problem that needs to be worked out there. If we are all "sharing" then, of course, I want the games that I miss reimbursed. And even at 50% capacity, I am sure I will be in the same row as those kids that go to the concessions 3 times a period, excusing themselves while stepping on my toes, even though they are only 2 seats away from the aisle if they went THE OTHER WAY!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the concession kids! lol

But we're still 4 months away and anything can happen regarding capacity....borders....protocols. Hopefully, in a positive direction like it is currently.

Again this week, zero cases today....but more importantly are hospitalizations (despite what the mainstream media loves to shout) and we have never been overloaded here (currently only 11). Not to mention that over 80% of cases are never hospitalized (and that's been consistent from the start). Total cases are less then 0.3% of the population. Fingers crossed that this continues here and for other OHL cities as well.

Reactions: robertmac43

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I was wondering this the other day fellow Aud attendees. At what point will you go back to the games?

For many people, it will depend on whether all games are televised or not. If they are, you may see people choose to stay at home.

But me? I’ll go to the games. What is surprising to me though is that, even though I will go to the games when they eventually start up, I can’t believe how my level of “give a f***” is way low regarding OHL hockey.

This is coming from a guy who would rather go to a regular season Ranger game then watch the gold-medal world junior game on TV. Coming from a guy who would rather go to a Ranger game than watch my NHL team play a playoff hockey game. Etc. Etc.

Like I said, when it starts up, I’ll go. But if it starts up this December or two December’s from now, I can’t say that I really care. I have found so much more to do with my time then wait in anticipation all week long for the Friday night Ranger home game.

If this sentiment is shared by many more people than me, and as a result they choose to do other things besides return to watching Kitchener Rangers hockey religiously, social distancing may not be such a big problem at the Aud.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
As a big fan of junior hockey and one who believes strongly that communities need to support these teams, I'll go as soon as it's possible to, provided protocols are not ridiculous.

Yes, we all know there are more important things in life than hockey, but leagues like this are in more danger than many realize and it's the age old problem - if you don't support it, it'll be gone.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As a big fan of junior hockey and one who believes strongly that communities need to support these teams, I'll go as soon as it's possible to, provided protocols are not ridiculous.
This brings me to another question. What would people do to support the team if going is not a option.

I also have season tickets to a CPL team. The league is going into it's second year. With games happening in front of no fans the league set up a way to support it financially. I think it was 180 for a jersey and the ability to watch the games. It's a decent chuck of cash for what you are getting, but for me it was a no brainier to support the league.

Would people be open to something along those lines ?

Reactions: JoelKRangers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
This brings me to another question. What would people do to support the team if going is not a option.

I also have season tickets to a CPL team. The league is going into it's second year. With games happening in front of no fans the league set up a way to support it financially. I think it was 180 for a jersey and the ability to watch the games. It's a decent chuck of cash for what you are getting, but for me it was a no brainier to support the league.

Would people be open to something along those lines ?
I have no doubt that if the situation becomes so dire that teams are in danger of folding, NHL players would step in as individuals. It's happened for many teams already.

section15

Dec 5, 2018

The kids I can deal with... they are after all kids and with some guidance will get it. The adults..... I just flat out say something.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For me, its not about the safety for going to the games but the safety of the players as we're seeing in the MLB.
Having said that, this virus and protocols are consistently changing so whats planned this week will be redone next week. The bonus is with the Dec 1 st start-up (actually Nov 1st due to training camps) the OHL can look at all the other various sports leagues around the world and see what worked and what never worked and adapt it accordingly.

Reactions: Torgo

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have no doubt that if the situation becomes so dire that teams are in danger of folding, NHL players would step in as individuals. It's happened for many teams already.
I was more thinking of the individual fans. How far they will go to support their team when they cannot be in the stadium.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, we all know there are more important things in life than hockey, but leagues like this are in more danger than many realize and it's the age old problem - if you don't support it, it'll be gone.

I don’t think it will ever be gone.

The OHL as we know it today, along with being a feeder league to the pros, has expanded to 20 teams because it’s an entertainment product and a viable business endeavour for ownership.

The worst case scenario would be it taking years before we can have full houses again. If that were to happen, I assume the majority of owners across the three leagues may have to throw the keys on the table as it would become a money losing endeavor. If it ever came to that, you may see the NHL reverting to the days of sponsorship since they need a feeder system.

Back in the day, NHL teams sponsored multiple junior teams each across Canada. There being 32 NHL teams now with the addition of Seattle, it would not be out of the question for each NHL team to sponsor (maybe only financially) two CHL teams. That would be 64 teams CHL wide. At last count, I believe there are 60 CHL teams?

Shouldn’t be a problem IMO. The NHL generates a lot more money these days than they did back in the 50s and 60s via TV contracts etc. They were able to sponsor teams back then. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t do so again.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad