Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
It is a start but it's also the bare-minimum. Who knows what happens behind the scenes and that is what still as me worried for rookies in junior hockey.

Overall though, really well said post Tim!

Thanks Robert. I just hate seeing it because I think a lot of us have if we admit. It's a perpetuating dynamic which means it's in the culture.

Mar 12, 2009
Kinda tough to penalize the team. If this happened at a private party, how can team officials be held accountable?

If Guest or anyone else didn’t make team officials aware, how could they have acted.

This isn’t Downie/Aliu (team practice/team bus) or Carcillo (team dressing room).
If a player doesn't feel comfortable coming to management, maybe management needs to work on creating a team atmosphere where players don't feel too afraid of punishment by coming forward.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
he also said to Westhead that he doesn’t want to hurt their career. Opilka doesn’t play anymore.

all the available evidence reeks of Jeremy Bracco

Im glad this is out in the open so the problems can be addressed.
But having said that I rather not jump the gun on naming players let alone "reeks"...the truth should come out to the correct people.
Any player(s) involved as a ringleader in this should be off the team ASAP...no p***yfooting around this. The players pressured into these acts
should get support from the team,this will allow them to feel comfortable to go to management to right any issues.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
The other 16 year old would have been one of Vallati / Damiani.

The drafted vets on that team were 19 year olds Opilka and Bracco and 18 year olds Mascherin, Bunnaman and Hall.

He didn’t mention names, but there’s two very short lists nonetheless.

Guest could have headed down the same road that Terry Trafford travelled had he not gotten help. Or is that why he eventually landed in a psyche ward?

Almost makes you wonder if there was "another reason" that Vallati demanded a trade? Most of us suspected a parental squabble but........

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
What people don't understand is that this is part hockey culture. I hate that I have to say that and I hope that this can be changed. I think you also have to keep in mind what happens at high school parties now a days. I'm not talking from experience but my son has told me these actions are a usual at these parties. My son has also showed me a clip of a couple players who won gold at the world juniors on a popular drinking/partying YouTube channel where they admitted to having hookers after they won gold this past year. If you would like to see the clip I have attached it below.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
What people don't understand is that this is part hockey culture. I hate that I have to say that and I hope that this can be changed. I think you also have to keep in mind what happens at high school parties now a days. I'm not talking from experience but my son has told me these actions are a usual at these parties. My son has also showed me a clip of a couple players who won gold at the world juniors on a popular drinking/partying YouTube channel where they admitted to having hookers after they won gold this past year. If you would like to see the clip I have attached it below.

yup. all the OHL players from Team Canada. I was surprised they were that open about it in a video with a channel that has 5 million subscribers.

but no one said a thing, presumably as the demographic of people watching the NELK boys are around the same age as those guys, and this comes as no surprise to them.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If a player doesn't feel comfortable coming to management, maybe management needs to work on creating a team atmosphere where players don't feel too afraid of punishment by coming forward.

The Calgary Flames have employed Brian McGrattan as an avenue for players to go to who have substance abuse issues, or any issue at all. His position, even though he is employed by the Flames, is a 100% confidential outlet for the players. This position filled by McGrattan has been deemed a 100% success in the eyes of all involved.

Perhaps CHL teams should go in this direction to allow players like Guest a person to talk to, to raise these type of issues with, where he would have no fear of his career being affected in a negative fashion.

This person could be a counsellor like the person Guest spoke of in his video. Somebody who could be trusted to be 100% confidential, but be of the stature and influence to be able to ensure that issues that get raised get addressed.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My son has also showed me a clip of a couple players who won gold at the world juniors on a popular drinking/partying YouTube channel where they admitted to having hookers after they won gold this past year.

They didn't seem to anything along those lines in this video.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
yup. all the OHL players from Team Canada. I was surprised they were that open about it in a video with a channel that has 5 million subscribers.

but no one said a thing, presumably as the demographic of people watching the NELK boys are around the same age as those guys, and this comes as no surprise to them.

I recently read Jordin Tootoo’s autobiography. He spoke of wild trysts with multiple girls by multiple players at the Halifax world juniors.

Unfortunately, this type of thing is very common.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
The Calgary Flames have employed Brian McGrattan as an avenue for players to go to who have substance abuse issues, or any issue at all. His position, even though he is employed by the Flames, is a 100% confidential outlet for the players. This position filled by McGrattan has been deemed a 100% success in the eyes of all involved.

Perhaps CHL teams should go in this direction to allow players like Guest a person to talk to, to raise these type of issues with, where he would have no fear of his career being affected in a negative fashion.

This person could be a counsellor like the person Guest spoke of in his video. Somebody who could be trusted to be 100% confidential, but be of the stature and influence to be able to ensure that issues that get raised get addressed.

Saginaw has a "Director of Player Well-Being" a 3rd party person not employed by the team that players can talk to about this kind of thing. Implemented after the Trafford situation. I think its a great idea.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Saginaw has a "Director of Player Well-Being" a 3rd party person not employed by the team that players can talk to about this kind of thing. Implemented after the Trafford situation. I think its a great idea.

It baffles me that every team does not have a Councillor on staff to do check ins. I'm guessing the majority of OHL players would not seek out help, it would be a great resource to have on stand bye.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think it's fairly obvious not much has changed around the league since that tragic incident, although I'm sure we'll soon be told different.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Mar 12, 2009

I wish to think this was the same situation, but I fear this is a bigger issue than a few guys

OHLinsiders was also adamant that the Ranger suggested his issues were a result of marijuana psychosis and said it had nothing to do with marijuana...which we now know, while it wasn't exactly that, as he states he has a disorder related to marijuana that makes one unable to consume marijuana in a normal manner without becoming very ill. Maybe insiders did have info about another player, but from what I've heard of scouts and people around the league is that OHLI is a bit of a running joke and I doubt any organization is going to take his consultation and advice at face value. Kind of annoying how he's using Eric's situation to boost himself, again.
EDIT: Later in this thread OHLInsiders says "That was just made known to the family recently. When it was happening they didn't know what it was". Not sure where he got that because it doesn't that track, with what Eric says in the video, that when he came back at one point he knew he couldn't smoke because of his cannabis related disorder, but eventually did any way due to the severe anxiety (just adding I don't blame Eric, when you're struggling that bad and you only know one thing that's helped find relief, it's hard not to go back to even if you know it's bad).
It baffles me that every team does not have a Councillor on staff to do check ins. I'm guessing the majority of OHL players would not seek out help, it would be a great resource to have on stand bye.
a kid I went to school with's mother was a councilor at a high school that had a bunch of Ranger players, and even a former Captain struggled quite a bit with anxiety problems coming here. Wouldn't have known by their play (also if you are a high school counselor, maybe don't tell your kids about well known people you're counselling). As in Guests situation, where his councilor was a huge influence and ended up billeting him, it seems like teams are more than happy to have the public/private school system shoulder that load, rather than having to pay anytone to right their own ship.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Return To Play:
A Message From Commissioner David Branch

On behalf of the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club and the Ontario Hockey League, we hope that you and your loved ones are healthy and safe.

The exciting news is that the hockey season is coming and we will be confirming the exact date for training camps and on-ice play as soon as government and public health agencies advise us that we are allowed to do so.

The health and safety of our players, their families and billets, on and off-ice officials, staff, fans, and the public is of the utmost importance and every decision that we make will keep that in mind.

We plan to drop the puck in the Fall, but in the meantime, our coaches and players are getting ready to play and teams are working towards ensuring that when we do return it will be the great hockey and fan experience that you have become accustomed to!

Sincerely,

mail

David E. Branch
Commissioner
Ontario Hockey League

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
I said that the Kitchener Rangers brought in Jay McKee's contact NHLPA Dr. Shaw. He diagnosed Eric Guest with Cannabis Induced Psychosis. Without ever meeting Eric. If that's not ethically wrong, its certainly a great way to make sure Eric doesnt play in the OHL again.

Hopefully there is much more coming out, but I doubt it now that it's a criminal investigation. I tried to tell you it was a serious situation back in March of 2019 when he walked away...some of you wished him good luck. Others said he played the bully card and was sour. Everybody is listening now and that's all that matters. Just wish people listened back when it was happening

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I said that the Kitchener Rangers brought in Jay McKee's contact NHLPA Dr. Shaw. He diagnosed Eric Guest with Cannabis Induced Psychosis. Without ever meeting Eric. If that's not ethically wrong, its certainly a great way to make sure Eric doesnt play in the OHL again.

Hopefully there is much more coming out, but I doubt it now that it's a criminal investigation. I tried to tell you it was a serious situation back in March of 2019 when he walked away...some of you wished him good luck. Others said he played the bully card and was sour. Everybody is listening now and that's all that matters. Just wish people listened back when it was happening

this is the least of the concerns right now, but is the marijuana sickness what held him out of the 2018 playoffs? seemed like a long time to be sick.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
this is the least of the concerns right now, but is the marijuana sickness what held him out of the 2018 playoffs? seemed like a long time to be sick.

Not sure. I remember his dad mentioning an injury at some point but he also was also constantly mentioning an unexplainable sickness that happened at random and lasted for months and culminated with massive weight loss. They didnt know obviously what they do now.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Clinical psychologist checking in (my time to shine!). Substance-induced psychosis can absolutely be a long-term thing, and Cannabis does carry the risk of activating a latent vulnerability for a psychotic disorder. This is based off of an interaction between genetic vulnerability and environmental factors. So someone could carry a genetic predisposition to developing such a disorder but it only manifests under certain environmental conditions (like a stressful life event, for example). Cannabis increases the probability that individuals carrying this underlying vulnerability will develop such a disorder, and this risk is especially salient (7-10 times more likely) for the developing brain (e.g., an adolescent). Let me be clear that I don't know anything about Eric's particular mental health challenges and I'm not trying to say that this is what happened with him. I'm merely intending to shed light on substance-induced psychosis and particularly in relation to Cannabis use.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014

Pyette clearly states, 'It only added to his problems since he suffered from cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which caused him to vomit violently for hours on end.' and 'He ended up being treated in the psychiatric department of a London hospital for 45 days.' Maybe he was diagnosed properly by a third party but you're throwing around personal medical information for the benefit of views.

Ex-OHL player details nightmarish start to league career in social media post | London Free Press

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Torgo

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
Hayden, Pyette clearly states, 'It only added to his problems since he suffered from cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which caused him to vomit violently for hours on end.' and 'He ended up being treated in the psychiatric department of a London hospital for 45 days.' Maybe he was diagnosed properly by a third party but you're throwing around personal medical information for the benefit of views.

Ex-OHL player details nightmarish start to league career in social media post | London Free Press

That was just made known to the family recently. When it was happening they didn't know what it was.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I remember years ago, a couple Attack players were suspended, when they were caught chewing tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad