Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It happens everywhere! This is not just about hazing, it is about alpha male behaviour. And Guest made mention of this. Let me give you a couple of examples.

I saw it in regular pickup hockey though not as extreme as above. New guy joins the group, get sent out to collect the pucks and comes back to find his clothes soaking in the beer water. Ha ha, very funny!

Not only does this happen in sports, but one of my first full-time jobs was with a local company which will remain nameless. In on particular department, newbies were threatened with being "snowed". Threatened and often seen through. This would involve taking the person somewhere out of sight and stuffing his pants with snow. Ha ha, very funny! Sometimes, and this might give away the company but I will still not name it, mixed in with the snow was blood and / or pickle juice.

So what is behind all this abusive hazing? It is something the tough guys, the "top dogs", can get a few yuck yucks over beers as they show off how much they can pound back. It's all about macho posturing, out playing the other in shenanigans, flexing a bit of muscle, I suppose. It's "all in good fun" without taking into account the damage that is being done at the receiving end.

We have a long way to go to correct this type of behaviour and it will not be easy to eliminate it.

if by pickle juice you mean boogers I know exactly what company you are talking about and may or may not work for them too

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Donovan Sebrango comes in at 57 on Bob Mckenzie's final ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

No doubt, Lafreniere #1. He proved that at the World juniors. Best player on the ice, got the injury and missed a few games and then came back to be the best player on the ice again! And I would give Drysdale #2 based on the world juniors. Don't know much about the import but I would take Drysdale over Byfield at this point. Of course, it would all depend if the team picking is looking for offense or defense.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
No doubt, Lafreniere #1. He proved that at the World juniors. Best player on the ice, got the injury and missed a few games and then came back to be the best player on the ice again! And I would give Drysdale #2 based on the world juniors. Don't know much about the import but I would take Drysdale over Byfield at this point. Of course, it would all depend if the team picking is looking for offense or defense.

Ottawa could get both which would be electric

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Ya, I'm a bit on the fence about renewing my bunch of seasons, due to contagion/CoVid fears (my dad is in his 90s). I may just get the OHL TV package for the Rangers. Anybody have anymore info other than boiler plate that the club has up?

Season Ticket Holder: Frequently Asked Questions – Kitchener Rangers
Season Ticket Renewal Update – Kitchener Rangers

I sent them an email and am waiting for a response. Basically, I stated that if the product is not the same when the season starts, I am looking for assurances that I can get a full refund.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

George Fegaras might be an NCAA risk imo. everyone who follows the U16s for the draft tends to think he was a steal in the 4th round. the Rangers have quite a few guys that can play 2 or more seasons with the club. might be tough for him to ever get in the lineup. I believe I heard he is signed with North York in the OJHL for the upcoming season

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

George Fegaras might be an NCAA risk imo. everyone who follows the U16s for the draft tends to think he was a steal in the 4th round. the Rangers have quite a few guys that can play 2 or more seasons with the club. might be tough for him to ever get in the lineup. I believe I heard he is signed with North York in the OJHL for the upcoming season

He seems to be a 6'1" point a game defenceman. Nothing wrong with getting him on the roster to see what he has in junior. Our D is coming together nicely and there would be nothing wrong with trading one of them for some decent draft selections.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
He seems to be a 6'1" point a game defenceman. Nothing wrong with getting him on the roster to see what he has in junior. Our D is coming together nicely and there would be nothing wrong with trading one of them for some decent draft selections.

the 4 16 year old cards are filled. he could only play like 9 games or something like that. I’m glad he’s at least going to be playing in the OJHL because we’ve seen that work out for Declan McDonnell and hopefully Matt Sop

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Our D is coming together nicely and there would be nothing wrong with trading one of them for some decent draft selections.

Depending on who reports, if we do eventually become overloaded at D, a Vallati type deal would help replenish the draft pick cupboard immensely. Especially if we eventually move Vukojevic as well in this upcoming non-containing season this year.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Depending on who reports, if we do eventually become overloaded at D, a Vallati type deal would help replenish the draft pick cupboard immensely. Especially if we eventually move Vukojevic as well in this upcoming non-containing season this year.

I believe Fegaras cannot he traded until next year because he wasn’t a 1st rounder? Maybe that’s not what you meant tho. But I don’t see who else you would move off the team that holds Vallati value if we plan on contending in 2 years.

I think we should push for him to play the 9 games and come the following year. London had a recent highly regarded dman playing down in his 16 yo season and it hasn’t hurt his stock.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
per CHL.ca, Kitchener will select at 49 in the import draft and skip their picks at 109 on Tuesday. 8 teams ahead of the Rangers will be passing as of now, so it will be the 41st pick

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I believe Fegaras cannot he traded until next year because he wasn’t a 1st rounder? Maybe that’s not what you meant tho. But I don’t see who else you would move off the team that holds Vallati value if we plan on contending in 2 years.

I think we should push for him to play the 9 games and come the following year. London had a recent highly regarded dman playing down in his 16 yo season and it hasn’t hurt his stock.

I’m not suggesting we trade Fegaras. I’m suggesting we maybe trade someone more seasoned who we could do without should players we took chances on report.

Say we move Vukojovic
at the deadline. Going into 21-22 we’d have 5D:

Xhekaj-OA
Sebrango-02
Ottavainen-02
Motew-03
Leblanc-04

Say both Schmidt and Fegaras sign in the summer of 2021 (and are as advertised).

Say Motew has a year this year where he emerges into another Sebrango.

I’ve said on here often that I see a possible Sebrango in this player. If he has a 20-21 season in the neighbourhood of the season Sebrango had in 19-20, he’d have trade value (maybe not Vallati’s 2x2nds 2x3rds), but he could bring good value just the same if we chose to move him should Schmidt and Fegaras sign. (For instance, what would a Sebrango bring us if he were put on the market this off season).

We don’t have a stocked draft pick cupboard. The return we would get for Vukojevic and an improved Motew would replenish that cupboard immensely.

It’d leave us with a solid 6D in a contending year.

Xhekaj-OA
Sebrango-02
Ottavainen-02
Schmidt-03
Leblanc-04
Fegaras-04

Add to that six an 05 rookie and in a contending year, there’s always a possibility we add mid range veteran depth back there (a Holden Wale type) to bring us to 8D.

I know, a few “what if’s” would have to come through. But if these guys did report, something would have to give somewhere.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’m not suggesting we trade Fegaras. I’m suggesting we maybe trade someone more seasoned who we could do without should players we took chances on report.

Say we move Vukojovic
at the deadline. Going into 21-22 we’d have 5D:

Xhekaj-OA
Sebrango-02
Ottavainen-02
Motew-03
Leblanc-04

Say both Schmidt and Fegaras sign in the summer of 2021 (and are as advertised).

Say Motew has a year this year where he emerges into another Sebrango.

I’ve said on here often that I see a possible Sebrango in this player. If he has a 20-21 season in the neighbourhood of the season Sebrango had in 19-20, he’d have trade value (maybe not Vallati’s 2x2nds 2x3rds), but he could bring good value just the same if we chose to move him should Schmidt and Fegaras sign. (For instance, what would a Sebrango bring us if he were put on the market this off season).

We don’t have a stocked draft pick cupboard. The return we would get for Vukojevic and an improved Motew would replenish that cupboard immensely.

It’d leave us with a solid 6D in a contending year.

Xhekaj-OA
Sebrango-02
Ottavainen-02
Schmidt-03
Leblanc-04
Fegaras-04

Add to that six an 05 rookie and in a contending year, there’s always a possibility we add mid range veteran depth back there (a Holden Wale type) to bring us to 8D.

I know, a few “what if’s” would have to come through. But if these guys did report, something would have to give somewhere.

Motew’s going to have to earn every minute of ice he gets as long as he’s a Ranger. with Xhekaj, Sebrango & Ottavainen all hopeful to be here for the next 2 seasons as well as MacPherson, Wale & Vukojevic all returning next season (as of now), and the potential of getting Roman Schmidt, a highly touted 03 RD ice time is going to be hard to come by for young guys.

even if Vukojevic gets traded, Motew is the 6th D and would be likely rotated in and out with Jacob LeBlanc. I could easily see a Motew trade during next season if he’s not getting consistent time in the lineup

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Motew’s going to have to earn every minute of ice he gets as long as he’s a Ranger. with Xhekaj, Sebrango & Ottavainen all hopeful to be here for the next 2 seasons as well as MacPherson, Wale & Vukojevic all returning next season (as of now), and the potential of getting Roman Schmidt, a highly touted 03 RD ice time is going to be hard to come by for young guys.

even if Vukojevic gets traded, Motew is the 6th D and would be likely rotated in and out with Jacob LeBlanc. I could easily see a Motew trade during next season if he’s not getting consistent time in the lineup

In a rebuilding year, for sure I move Vukojovic. And, I go with one OA max on the back end if not no OA. We’re rebuilding and part of the rebuilding is getting guys like Motew valuable minutes.

By the deadline, a D of Xhekaj, Sebrango, Ottavainen, Motew and Leblanc along with either one of the OA’s and another young up and comer (Xhekaj mould) makes a ton of sense to me.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
In a rebuilding year, for sure I move Vukojovic. And, I go with one OA max on the back end if not no OA. We’re rebuilding and part of the rebuilding is getting guys like Motew valuable minutes.

By the deadline, a D of Xhekaj, Sebrango, Ottavainen, Motew and Leblanc along with either one of the OA’s and another young up and comer (Xhekaj mould) makes a ton of sense to me.

Couldn't agree more. Motew made the most of his minimal time last season. This season, he needs to see more ice time to develop even more. This is a valued player with USA Hockey who has been a member of several select teams including last years Under 17 team. We've seen his smart play, sharp exit passes, and bursts of speed. Last season was a settle in year, this season should see him contribute even more. Wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Xhekaj. Could be a deadly combo with their speed and tenacity.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Wale and MacPherson should 100% be traded to make ice time for Motew and Lebanc. It’s a double positive. The kids get more ice time and learn the OHL and we get some draft picks to built for the future.

When we are in contention again Wale and MacPherson will not be here. Motew and Lebanc will be and be solid options at 18/19 year olds.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Couldn't agree more. Motew made the most of his minimal time last season. This season, he needs to see more ice time to develop even more. This is a valued player with USA Hockey who has been a member of several select teams including last years Under 17 team. We've seen his smart play, sharp exit passes, and bursts of speed. Last season was a settle in year, this season should see him contribute even more. Wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Xhekaj. Could be a deadly combo with their speed and tenacity.
Wale and MacPherson should 100% be traded to make ice time for Motew and Lebanc. It’s a double positive. The kids get more ice time and learn the OHL and we get some draft picks to built for the future.

When we are in contention again Wale and MacPherson will not be here. Motew and Lebanc will be and be solid options at 18/19 year olds.

I agree with both of you, but I just can’t see MM having a fire sale on his D core. I think he trades Vukojevic and maybe 1 of Wale and MacPherson.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
So tomorrow, a new Import for the Rangers? Any rumours??
sounds like there won't be many Swedes or Finns that will be willing to come right now, more guys out of Germany, Russia, Belarus, etc.

maybe Kitchener's reputation with Swedes like Hugg and Bergkvist can help them get a guy that would probably go higher in normal times.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
sounds like there won't be many Swedes or Finns that will be willing to come right now, more guys out of Germany, Russia, Belarus, etc.

maybe Kitchener's reputation with Swedes like Hugg and Bergkvist can help them get a guy that would probably go higher in normal times.
And Landeskog...plus Assistant Coach Andreas Karlsson.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Rangers go with 02 goalie Pavel Cajan from the Czech. born in October so not eligible for the draft until 2021.

commit to HC Benatky in the Czech 2 league as of now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->