Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Regarding Eric Guest there is a lot of pressure placed on very young kids when it comes to high level athletics and becoming a professional athlete. I am glad he mentions in his chats it is not to bash the OHL or the Kitchener Rangers. That’s an important acknowledgement by him as this is not a hockey issue quite frankly it’s clearly the continuing malaise society has towards Mental Health. We still want to keep it in the closet and not talk about it because we know so little about it. Every time Eric releases another chapter / video it becomes even more clear then the previous one it’s about Mental Health not hockey. I hope for Eric the human being he uses his Education Package that he paid a very steep price to attain and moves on with his life. Hopefully he can handle the pressures of elite learning as it’s no walk in the park either, many horror stories out there. Good Luck my friend, lots of folks in your corner cheering for you to get to a place where you can feel good about yourself and your life choices.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Heard from someone that some of the new kids are at the Aud today, so take that for what it’s worth. Probably just a tour and what not that they were cut short of on draft day

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Update to Subscribers today: "We are working through four schedule options with possible start dates of October, November, December, and January."

IMHO...this will all depend on how the next few months go both here in Ontario and of course, our U.S. team locations. With school starting up here in September, I would imagine that Rangers also have a plan to get the team here.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Update to Subscribers today: "We are working through four schedule options with possible start dates of October, November, December, and January."

IMHO...this will all depend on how the next few months go both here in Ontario and of course, our U.S. team locations. With school starting up here in September, I would imagine that Rangers also have a plan to get the team here.

For sure. It seems as if that’s the plan in the other leagues. in the QMJHL, they plan to start in October but will report for camps in August.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Nice article in the Buffalo News about McDonnell and what he's doing to stay ready for a return to the Rangers. Claims that the WHL isn't planning on coming back until maybe December. Can't find a statement on the WHL site or its twitter feed. Seems odd considering how the west is doing with this pandemic.

Local NHL draft prospects preparing for uncertain start to next season

says the BCHL. Junior A league. WHL statement says they plan to open early October

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
with the signing of Cajan, the Rangers are at 3 goalies. the easy response is to let the OA (likely backup) Lucas Pfeil go. But in unprecedented times, could we see the Rangers carry a 3rd goalie in case of 1 or even 2 of the goalies getting covid? it would cost an OA spot but it seems like there are already more than enough players in the lineup (12 F, 8 D. probably a good amount of games at 11F 7 D to get Motew/LeBlanc in games)

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think the OHL probably has to make some changes for this year, could see an extra OA spot.

im starting to think the OHL will be running but the AHL won’t be. Could be a very weird year in the OHL. For us, this means Ingham and Damiani could both be back. Potentially a lot of trade chips to sell. Which should be the move IMO.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think the OHL probably has to make some changes for this year, could see an extra OA spot.

im starting to think the OHL will be running but the AHL won’t be. Could be a very weird year in the OHL. For us, this means Ingham and Damiani could both be back. Potentially a lot of trade chips to sell. Which should be the move IMO.

Noel would also be back. with Valade, Pinelli, McDonnell, Petizian all a year older as well, that could be a deadly forward core

Reactions: GeoBlue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

If all this happens plus Noel returning, no way I’d sell.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
If all this happens plus Noel returning, no way I’d sell.

Any team can think this way. London could have Foudy, Merkley and Regula back. Giroux, Jenkins and Wilde for Saginaw. Don't forget, we lost Meireles, Yantsis and Hawel. Our investment should be in the future at this point and SYWTom is right that we should sell, sell, sell!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Any team can think this way. London could have Foudy, Merkley and Regula back. Giroux, Jenkins and Wilde for Saginaw. Don't forget, we lost Meireles, Yantsis and Hawel. Our investment should be in the future at this point and SYWTom is right that we should sell, sell, sell!
Sell....sell....sell....but I would imagine the buying teams will have all kinds of conditions since the 20-21 season could end the same way as last season,

Mar 12, 2009
I would trade Ingam, he'll be the best goalie on the market most likely and I really can't see us rotating 3 goalies, and both Parsons and Cajan need to be on the roster imo. I think I'd be more interested in prioritizing high quality young players/prospects over draft picks, I think if we could get a some guy in the Pinelli age group, it would leave us with a really could corp of 3rd and 4th year players after this season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I also would still like to see the team sell this season. I don’t know what will happen with the guys like Noel, Damiani, Ingham, but as was mentioned above, Kitchener won’t be the only team that would benefit off this.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I also would still like to see the team sell this season. I don’t know what will happen with the guys like Noel, Damiani, Ingham, but as was mentioned above, Kitchener won’t be the only team that would benefit off this.

If we were to (unexpectedly to be sure) get those three back, no doubt other teams would get their comparables back as well under SYWTom’s scenario above. If that were the case, the league would be saturated with these players, who would be OA’s. Therefore, market value of such players would be low.

That wouldn’t bode well in getting high end return for players that are decidedly high end.

Torgo, I agree Ingham would be one of if not the top tenders next year. If we did put him on the market, along with Vukojevic, we could bring a return that would allow us to bolster the 21-22 team with a stud or two.

However, as I said above, market value wouldn’t be up there for Damiani or Noel as other contenders would already have stud OA’s. So I could see this management group hang onto them to give us a respectable playoff as a prep for the 21-22 season.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019

A friend and I were talking about a similar scenario a little over a week ago. We came to the conclusion that the Rangers would keep Noel and Damiani and trade Ingham. Now that Cajan has signed it is almost a guarantee that this will happen if Ingham is returned. I imagine Cajan plays 44 games and Parsons plays 24. As much as I would love for us to have Ingham unfortunately its in our best interest to trade him. First of all I would not trade him to anyone in our Conference because I would hate to have get past him come time playoffs. So in my eyes that narrow's it down to 4 teams. MISS, OSH, KGN and NB. MISS looks to be one of the best teams next year in the east and they could use a better goalie. OSH is the same as MISS however they are miles better and have a potential number 1 in Kooy however Ingham would be the best goalie in the OHL so they might look to try to upgrade there. The only reason why I have KGN and NB on there is because their management could feel like 2 plus rounds in the playoffs could help their youth grow (especially Shane Wright). Now I am not willing to guess what the return could be because with how much the season is up in air.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I imagine Cajan plays 44 games and Parsons plays 24.

Just on this point:

Suppose the OHL is forced to play an abbreviated season this year. If there is, say, a 40 game season, assuming Cajan would likely get close to 30 of those games plus playoffs, would it make sense to have Parsons on the roster to play a mere 10-12 games?

Maybe it would make more sense development wise to have him at a lower level (with the odd call up) where he’d get a ton of minutes being the #1?

Maybe a cheap backup would be a better option?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Just on this point:

Suppose the OHL is forced to play an abbreviated season this year. If there is, say, a 40 game season, assuming Cajan would likely get close to 30 of those games plus playoffs, would it make sense to have Parsons on the roster to play a mere 10-12 games?

Maybe it would make more sense development wise to have him at a lower level (with the odd call up) where he’d get a ton of minutes being the #1?

Maybe a cheap backup would be a better option?

at that point, might as well keep Pfeil around IMO. if it’s going to be a short season, it will start around the same time as the NHL and probably(?) the AHL. that would likely mean no Damiani, Ingham, Noel and there would be 3 OAs (Wale, MacPherson, Pfeil). I imagine one of MacPherson or Wale gets moved. They are similar players, both not in the teams long term plans obviously and there are 8 defence signed as of now.

So if they trade MacPherson for example, there’s only 2 OAs. I don’t think MM will be in a rush to go and get 2 more OAs and push Pfeil out of a spot in a retool year. Give Pfeil another year of paid education and let him play his however many games. No point in acquiring a goalie to play 10-12 games if it’s a shortened season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Eric Guest did a 2nd part on the Behind the Gear podcast. very good listen. also kind of eliminates 2 of the 4 guys from the cocaine allegations. had some praise for Connor Hall and Connor Bunnaman

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad