Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There was a time when general hockey experts called Granlund the best player in the world not in the NHL. Yes, his hyperbole was intense too... he also had risk of failure, but he didn't also have the risk of being unwilling to come to the NHL that Russians have.

I think he and Kuznetsov were neck-and-neck for a while.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah... no. The hyperbole around this kid is ridiculous around here. Gaborik is still the best prospect this team has ever had, and it's not close. Kaprizov has high potential for success, but there is very significant risk of failure.

Yeah this Kaprizov hype has blown over. He was 5th round pick after all and there are a lot of players who can't translate big ice success to small ice.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if this news is true , this is a f***ing DISASTER! i guess the russian factor is real. anybody wanna buy a used kaprizov jersey? ps no the hype is not overblown , this kid is a stud.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Fletcher must have as much knowledge as we do right now since the Wild have never directly communicated with the kid...

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Let's have a live look at the Wild front office...

RX8bJ.gif

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
if this news is true , this is a f***ing DISASTER! i guess the russian factor is real. anybody wanna buy a used kaprizov jersey? ps no the hype is not overblown , this kid is a stud.

He's proving to be a stud at his current level of play for sure. That in no way guarantees he will be a stud in the NHL.

He is LIKELY to be very good in the NHL, but he does come with a significant risk of failure to reach that as well. Remember, the KHL is loaded with players who are studs there, but simply could not make it in the NHL.

As the poster earlier said - greatest prospect in Wild history - THAT is an example of how the hype is way overblown, because that simply isn't true.

Gaborik had just as high of an outlook, with virtually no risk of failure.

Russo's most recent tweet makes it seem like it's not a done deal...
Which is no surprise, this isn't our first go-around with the KHL thinking Kaprizov was signing an extension that he then never signed. They jump to put the news out because they want their fans to get excited and they want to put media pressure on him to sign... but he hasn't ever given credence to any of these stories when they've come out.

As I've said before, until I actually see that he HAS signed, I'm not going to believe it due to the poor reporting nature about these contracts in the KHL.

From Russo

Typically a player has to buy himself out of his contract to get loose unless there are out-clauses. While I'm pretty sure he was due to make $70,000 US this upcoming season, some have speculated the next deal could be around $1 million a year US, which is about comparable to an NHL entry-level deal.
Doesn't really seem like much benefit to Kaprizov if this supposed deal in the KHL is the same amount of an ELC he would sign for the NHL. That's not even counting the bonuses he could get in his ELC.

Also, there's no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, so the way I understand it, the Wild owns his NHL rights essentially forever. They're not in danger of losing his rights if unsigned four years from his draft year like other drafted players.
A few years might not be a bad thing though if it means we get an even more developed player when he does come over.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Didn't actually realize that Kaprizov still haven't got a salary raise in the KHL during those years, in this case I'm pretty sure the CSKA contract offer is tempting (considering 13% tax rate and no escrow).

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Figures... we can't have nice things. Rangers will probably trade for his rights, pennies on the dollar, and he'll come over the following season.

How the **** haven't you ever met one of your top prospects?!?! Can't they just go over there and take him out to dinner or something?

:laugh::laugh::cry:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Didn't actually realize that Kaprizov still haven't got a salary raise in the KHL during those years, in this case I'm pretty sure the CSKA contract offer is tempting (considering 13% tax rate and no escrow).

Ya, AHL money for his production is nuts.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Figures... we can't have nice things. Rangers will probably trade for his rights, pennies on the dollar, and he'll come over the following season.

How the **** haven't you ever met one of your top prospects?!?! Can't they just go over there and take him out to dinner or something?

:laugh::laugh::cry:

On behalf on the Rangers, we will indeed jump on that grenade

Sucks to hear about this guy though, I think he is a special player. Whenever I watch Salavat games, he would stand out

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Seems absurd he'd opt to stay in the KHL for less than he'd make here considering the bonuses attached to ELCs. Oh well, if he never comes over then we lost a 5th I guess.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Seems absurd he'd opt to stay in the KHL for less than he'd make here considering the bonuses attached to ELCs. Oh well, if he never comes over then we lost a 5th I guess.

He doesn't sound NEAR as committed to signing that contract as the KHL tweeted he was.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What a buzzkirill today has been.

Not really. Nothing has really changed other than CSKA has made a contract offer, which everyone knew they would do... and Kaprizov has not said whether he would or wouldn't sign.

Only the KHL tweet said it was a done deal, when it's anything but at this point.

All that tweet was from the KHL, was them trying to make it public that the offer was there and that he had accepted so he would get pressure to actually accept. It's manipulation via the media. We've gone through this before with him and it was unfounded. I'll only believe he's signing when it comes out from him that he has signed.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Not really. Nothing has really changed other than CSKA has made a contract offer, which everyone knew they would do... and Kaprizov has not said whether he would or wouldn't sign.

Only the KHL tweet said it was a done deal, when it's anything but at this point.

All that tweet was from the KHL, was them trying to make it public that the offer was there and that he had accepted so he would get pressure to actually accept. It's manipulation via the media. We've gone through this before with him and it was unfounded. I'll only believe he's signing when it comes out from him that he has signed.

It's plausible that this might be a tactic of guilting Kaprizov into signing. There could be some communal pressure involved as a result.

Wild fans can take solace in the fact that Kaprizov appears to be making his own decisions here unlike Sorokin who just let his father handle his business.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They don't have to do that. Kaprizov still has a year left on his contract.

There could be pressure from Russia for him to sign, and they may be dangling an Olympic team spot for him dependent on his signing an extension in the KHL.

It's plausible that this might be a tactic of guilting Kaprizov into signing. There could be some communal pressure involved as a result.

Wild fans can take solace in the fact that Kaprizov appears to be making his own decisions here unlike Sorokin who just let his father handle his business.
Yeah, the last time we went through this, his Father was the one claiming he was signing an extension... which then was proven to be absolutely false. The media manipulation to pressure these guys to sign over there is quite unusual to North American hockey fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad