Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
After Moscow is eliminated from the Playoffs, would be the absolute earliest (I think). STL had a Russian come over for the Playoffs last year.

Sobotka's Czech but I'm not sure the situation plays out the same. He was an RFA who declined an arbitrator's deal and signed in the KHL. Once his contract was up there he signed with St. Louis again - as an RFA who would have been subject to the arbitrator's award.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_00352b61-90d9-58f0-bed0-0692674fd68e.html

I don't see why Kaprizov couldn't sign once his season is over and adding him in April could be an amazing coup, just not sure it's that simple.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sobotka's Czech but I'm not sure the situation plays out the same. He was an RFA who declined an arbitrator's deal and signed in the KHL. Once his contract was up there he signed with St. Louis again - as an RFA who would have been subject to the arbitrator's award.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_00352b61-90d9-58f0-bed0-0692674fd68e.html

I don't see why Kaprizov couldn't sign once his season is over and adding him in April could be an amazing coup, just not sure it's that simple.

Yea, I don't know the ins and outs of the KHL contracts. Not that it really matters, it's supposed to get an overhaul within the next calendar year: less teams, different salary cap, etc.

RE for the dev camp:
Wasn't there something written awhile ago saying Moscow wouldn't allow him to come over for it?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, I think the KHL training camp dates conflict with the development camp. Don't blame them for wanting their player to show up for camp.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, I think the KHL training camp dates conflict with the development camp. Don't blame them for wanting their player to show up for camp.

Or taking the chance their shiny new toy might get injured in a meaningless (for them) camp. We had the same concerns with the Wild players in the WCH last year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yea, I don't know the ins and outs of the KHL contracts. Not that it really matters, it's supposed to get an overhaul within the next calendar year: less teams, different salary cap, etc.

RE for the dev camp:
Wasn't there something written awhile ago saying Moscow wouldn't allow him to come over for it?

Seems like the Russian teams never let their players do anything. :laugh:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I'd be the same process as Sobotka, except that the terms of Sobotka's contract were already laid out due to the Arbitration hearing he lost after signing in the KHL. But given ELC restrictions, there isn't all that much to haggle over. Fletcher would give him a max ELC + max bonuses, because if he hits the bonuses he's worth.

Kaprsiov is on our reserve list, just like Sobotka was for St. Louis. As long as the KHL team releases them, they can come over.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Where does kaprisov stack up against this years crop of prospects just drafted?
Would kaprisov having entered this draft been a top 5 pick?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Top-10 for sure. Hard to say with the draft where some of the players go. He's a wing, not a center or d-man, so that might make him go lower than he should.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

it all depends on how much weight you give the 19yr old khl record playing against men. im baised so i'd say top 5. hes no mcdavid but i believe he has tarasenko potential. whats that worth? you decide. granlund had great euro #s but took several years to turn into a very good player.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/883248296151724032

"Expect CSKA to announce extension of Kirill Kaprizov to a 3 year term, as well as Grigorenko, another 3 year deal for the team" @A_Kalnins

Not sure if I put that in here correctly... But this isn't what I wanted to wake up to, the other 2 signings the guy listed have been verified so this makes me nervous and maybe brings light to why he was possibly offered to Vegas. Want to see him in a Wild sweater so bad.

That being said until Russo or someone else confirms it, I will hold my reservations.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
No he doesn't. NHL/KHL respect each other's contracts now. If he signs, he's there's until his contract is up or he buys it out.

are you saying if he was forced with basically a gun to his head to sign , then wanted to come here the nhl would refuse to help?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
are you saying if he was forced with basically a gun to his head to sign , then wanted to come here the nhl would refuse to help?

How would a KHL team (realistically) coerce him into signing against his will? The chances of the KHL putting a figurative or literal gun to his head are as likely as the NHL putting one to the head of a Canadian/American player that's thinking of running over to Europe to make bank.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Yes, in that extremely un-realistic scenario, there would be jack the NHL could do. They have an agreement to respect eachother's contracts. Unless Kirill could get the contract thrown out in Russian court, the NHL isn't a legal entity that could void it without breaking the agreement with Russia. Which opens a can of worms the NHL doesn't want.

The NHL would not allow that contract.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
These quotes were posted in the main board thread.

- What about future? One season you will spend in CSKA. And then what is the KHL or NHL?
- I do not know yet. I'll wait with this decision.

- It's just that CSKA does not hide that it is negotiating with you about the contract for another three years.
- I know. But I still have time to think about this proposal.

So, CSKA is just negotiating through the media again. Kirill hasn't made his decision.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How would a KHL team (realistically) coerce him into signing against his will? The chances of the KHL putting a figurative or literal gun to his head are as likely as the NHL putting one to the head of a Canadian/American player that's thinking of running over to Europe to make bank.

Not saying that this is the case with Kaprizov, but it's no secret that the Russian mob has ties to the KHL. In fact, the Russian mob has been even known to extort Russian players in the NHL. Alexander Mogilny and Alexei Zhitnik are just two examples of this happening. Mogilny even had to go to the FBI for protection.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not saying that this is the case with Kaprizov, but it's no secret that the Russian mob has ties to the KHL. In fact, the Russian mob has been even known to extort Russian players in the NHL. Alexander Mogilny and Alexei Zhitnik are just two examples of this happening. Mogilny even had to go to the FBI for protection.

Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad