Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Personally, I'm not too worried until we hear the contract is officially done. Of course, CSKA wants Kaprizov signed and they're clearly trying to make it sound like the deal is closer to being done than it probably is in reality. The fact that Kaprizov seems to be insisting he still has time to think about the offer tells me the deal's not done yet and something is keeping him from putting pen to paper. Obviously the KHL wants to keep one of their young stars in the fold, so I don't really blame them for doing everything they can to push Kaprizov in that direction, but this just seems like all this news about a "signed deal" is coming from the KHL PR department and nothing is concrete yet.

Like I said, not worried about it until his Herbie Hancock is on the paper ;)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be surprised if he signs, but I can't get in his head and know what he wants. Is he a guy who wants to play against the best, and is up for the challenge of a new country and lifestyle? Or does he prefer to stay where he is comfortable, both hockey wise and culturally. In the short term he might make as much, or more money in Russia, but in the long term I don't think it's even close....should he succeed in the NHL.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Through my time following world soccer, I've found that living and dying by rumors is NOT the way to go. There's 75 different versions of the story published before the real ones come out. Seems like this might be similar.

I'll wait until I see an official release from the club before I react.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There could be pressure from Russia for him to sign, and they may be dangling an Olympic team spot for him dependent on his signing an extension in the KHL.

I know that this is a popular sentiment in the West, but Russia is not that homogenous. Decisions are not made by some "big brother"-type central body. This is between his team and him, and Kaprizov's decision is difficult because playing and living well in Moscow is the envy of every player in Russia. For many guys who grow up as hockey fans, it is their dream.

There is no need to spin tall tails of conspiracy and blackmail. Either Kaprizov chooses to stay home and live comfortably there for the next four years, or he will cross the ocean early. He will make that call.

Let's also keep in mind that Kaprizov has never made a World Championships roster, and I doubt NT head coach Znarok is penciling him in on the olympic team. Kaprizov would have try out and make the club, which is far from a sure thing at this point.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Through my time following world soccer, I've found that living and dying by rumors is NOT the way to go. There's 75 different versions of the story published before the real ones come out. Seems like this might be similar.

I'll wait until I see an official release from the club before I react.

What gets me is this isn't even 75 different stories. I spent a good amount of time looking for info on this yesterday, and a bit today. Every single article, tweet, blog, ect. points back to the exact same quote from the CSKA president more than 24 hours ago now. Each outlet has run with it to differing degrees from "He's 100% renewed" to the more rational "an offer is on the table." There's no info out there besides the one line quote and everything else is fabrication by the media outlets.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
The more research I do about this whole situation makes me believe that CSKA Moscow and the Russian Olympic team are holding Kaprizov hostage with both playing time and with whether or not he will be invited to the Olympics.

I can't imagine with the earnings potential he will have in the NHL compared to the KHL that he wouldn't want to play in the NHL, especially considering his favorite player (Tarasenko) plays in the NHL.

What irks me a bit though is why the Wild haven't sent someone over to Russia to meet with him directly. I don't know why they wouldn't setup a meeting with Kaprizov's girlfriend where very few people would know about it so that they can convey face-to-face that they want him in a Wild sweater at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season.

It seems there is a lot more the Wild organization could be doing to secure him playing for this team in 2018 instead of sitting on their hands with their fingers crossed.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The more research I do about this whole situation makes me believe that CSKA Moscow and the Russian Olympic team are holding Kaprizov hostage with both playing time and with whether or not he will be invited to the Olympics.

Source? :laugh:

What irks me a bit though is why the Wild haven't sent someone over to Russia to meet with him directly. I don't know why they wouldn't setup a meeting with Kaprizov's girlfriend where very few people would know about it so that they can convey face-to-face that they want him in a Wild sweater at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season.

If Kaprizov is being held hostage then what would be the point to holding such a meeting? Are they going to bring Jason Bourne there to drag Kaprizov to safety?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Kaprizov is being held hostage then what would be the point to holding such a meeting? Are they going to bring Jason Bourne there to drag Kaprizov to safety?

That is not a job for Jason Bourne. It has Bryan Mills (movie version, not tv version) name written all over it. :popcorn:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know that this is a popular sentiment in the West, but Russia is not that homogenous. Decisions are not made by some "big brother"-type central body. This is between his team and him, and Kaprizov's decision is difficult because playing and living well in Moscow is the envy of every player in Russia. For many guys who grow up as hockey fans, it is their dream.

There is no need to spin tall tails of conspiracy and blackmail. Either Kaprizov chooses to stay home and live comfortably there for the next four years, or he will cross the ocean early. He will make that call.

Let's also keep in mind that Kaprizov has never made a World Championships roster, and I doubt NT head coach Znarok is penciling him in on the olympic team. Kaprizov would have try out and make the club, which is far from a sure thing at this point.

good points, both on the size and diversity of Russian society, and the WC and Olympic roster.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
No need for this.
He has a point, you've deduced an opinion from 'research' and is asking for a source for you to share.
I'm curious as well... so... source?

+3. How many on here have actually BEEN to Russia or studied it inherently over the last 15 years? Feels like too many movies were watched before posting.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
3 people with reading comprehension issues in this thread. Wonder how many more we'll get to before one of you geniuses decides to go read what I actually said.

Did all 3 of you see the word "hostage" and stop reading or something?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
3 people with reading comprehension issues in this thread. Wonder how many more we'll get to before one of you geniuses decides to go read what I actually said.

You could also read between the lines and realize that I was poking fun at what you said, not taking it literally.

And where is your source for your central claim again?

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
You could also read between the lines and realize that I was poking fun at what you said, not taking it literally.

And where is your source for your central claim again?

Looks like we were all supposed to get that a post of that length was all discredited with one word LOL.

GG, he doesn't have a source so he'll resort to insults :).

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail

How about stop the trolling and make a post that contributes. No one cares to read minds here just from a single word in a post. If you wanted to type that much to then just turn around and say 'it's a joke', then again, enough with the troll act.

Some people come here to seriously discuss what's going on, considering this topic has had its fill of speculation, further speculation thinly veiled as a joke (or troll) is a waste of everybody's time.

Have a good rest of your Sunday.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I know I shouldn't play this game, because nobody wins, but I'm bored and I can't stand the whole "reading comprehension" argument. It's making me wonder more if you know what reading comprehension actually means than it is pointing out any actual lack of reading comprehension of others around here.

Here you indicate that you have in fact done research, unless by research you mean reading a forum and Russo's articles, which I would argue is very limited and almost entirely speculation based. If you've done research outside of that, we'd like to see what you've read. That's why we're asking for a source. I'd love to read more on it, if you've got something that hasn't been posted up around here yet. To your point: It wouldn't shock me if this was the case, but until I've read something even slightly indicating so, I'm not going to speculate further on it.

I can't imagine with the earnings potential he will have in the NHL compared to the KHL that he wouldn't want to play in the NHL, especially considering his favorite player (Tarasenko) plays in the NHL.

You act as though people stopped reading your post, but I've read it through three times now and fail to see any solid support for your first sentence. This part quoted above provides very loose, very speculative support. You're saying that you can't imagine him staying given the improved earning potential in America, but your point of view is not Kaprizov's, and therefore is pure speculation. It also does not address your allegation that the Russian Hockey Federation or CSKA Moscow is threatening less playing time or roster spots, at all.

It seems there is a lot more the Wild organization could be doing to secure him playing for this team in 2018 instead of sitting on their hands with their fingers crossed.

This part is not relevant to what people were asking for sources on anyway, so there's no reason to get into it. What I will say is that I actually am surprised the Wild haven't been able to even send someone to Russia just to say hello to him, but I don't know enough about Kaprizov's situation to know if that's for a good reason or not.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Kaprizov is under contract to a team that has no ties with the Wild, and is a professional, separate, business entity. I can imagine that CSKA would be less than thrilled if they found out Fletcher was visiting with Kap in Russia, while they are paying him. It's not like they are a junior team.

Imagine if Sokolov was playing for the Wild, and CSKA sent their GM over to Minnesota to talk to him about coming back to Russia while he was under contract, and "owned", by the Wild. It would certainly ruffle some feathers here.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
kaprizov is the best prospect since gabby or granlund , its rare to find someone with his skillset. small sample but he did prove himself at the wjc. while no prospect comes with a guarantee it doesnt get much better than his resume. i sure hope this news is all hype bs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, Kaprizov is under contract to a team that has no ties with the Wild, and is a professional, separate, business entity. I can imagine that CSKA would be less than thrilled if they found out Fletcher was visiting with Kap in Russia, while they are paying him. It's not like they are a junior team.

Imagine if Sokolov was playing for the Wild, and CSKA sent their GM over to Minnesota to talk to him about coming back to Russia while he was under contract, and "owned", by the Wild. It would certainly ruffle some feathers here.

Yeah, this has been in the back of my head as well. If it's just a matter of a plane ticket to go over and say hello it seems a little odd that the Wild haven't done that. It's probably more than they're used to doing for a prospect, but there's a degree of competition for Kaprizov that they probably haven't encountered before. With Parise and Suter they had Fletcher and Leipold themselves flying into Madison, though that's obviously a far cry from Moscow.

But it's probably not that simple when he's under contract with CSKA. It's not exactly like tampering with another NHL team's RFA/UFA, but it's at least conceptually similar.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, this has been in the back of my head as well. If it's just a matter of a plane ticket to go over and say hello it seems a little odd that the Wild haven't done that. It's probably more than they're used to doing for a prospect, but there's a degree of competition for Kaprizov that they probably haven't encountered before. With Parise and Suter they had Fletcher and Leipold themselves flying into Madison, though that's obviously a far cry from Moscow.

But it's probably not that simple when he's under contract with CSKA. It's not exactly like tampering with another NHL team's RFA/UFA, but it's at least conceptually similar.

I'd guess it's more complicated than simply buying a plane ticket.

Most of Wild's management likely don't speak Russian, and from what I've read most Russian players have North American agents and Russian agents. Not sure if management would be able to speak with him directly without agents present? Especially when talking about contract status.

I'm just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad