Karlsson's season and future | MOD Warning Post 508

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
He takes a lot of shots here. He has a tendency to miss the net more often here for some reason...

But he leads d-men in goals so he's obviously doing something right. Plus Sweden's PP is a LOT better than Ottawa's at setting him up.

Karlsson goals was preceded with great set up passes, always important on PP. Hard to score with sub par passing.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Now in the Olympics I sense Erik shots more slapshots than he has done in Ottawa. I wonder if he has switched stick (that he can trust in) or if Swedish coach has told him to shoot more.?...
a few extra skilled players on Sweden means he is a little more free to shoot and he can receive good passes. in the NHL other teams try to make sure he doesn't get a chance.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
He takes a lot of shots here. He has a tendency to miss the net more often here for some reason...

But he leads d-men in goals so he's obviously doing something right. Plus Sweden's PP is a LOT better than Ottawa's at setting him up.

He is a fair bit further away from the net on NHL ice.

He does seem to be able to find room to get the puck past the defender on the wider ice. A skill that has been missing from his game post injury IMO.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
The guy has been unreal, seriously. For me he is the MVP of the Olympics. In some games he has been, unfortunately the best Swedish player by faaaaaar. For a healthy team Sweden there should be some more competition.

Like people of various nationalities said during the group play...it was Karlsson & friends. Tonights match against Finland it was a team effort but who scored the GWG...Karlsson of course.
Point leader in the olympics.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
This is from NHL.com but its still a good read, especially Berglunds thoughts about how it is to practice with Karlsson. :laugh:

"I think he's really enjoying himself playing in the Olympics with great players," Alfredsson said. "It seems like he can blossom even more when he's surrounded by Sedin and [Nicklas] Backstrom and [Alexander] Steen. They make him look even better I think. It is amazing to me that he is 23 years old and playing as mature as he is. Everybody talks about him with making mistakes here and there, but it was an Olympic semifinal and I think he played outstanding. Smart, was in the right position most of the time, joined the rush when he needed. But I was really impressed with his game."

"He's the best D-man-slash-forward in the world," Patrik Berglund said. "We're happy to have him. It's hard sometime when you're practicing and you count four forwards all the time. You wonder where your guy is. But so far so good."

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
should there be another Olympic with NHLers, what Swedish fan saw in Karlsson is just a taste what he'll be later, hopefully.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Now in the Olympics I sense Erik shots more slapshots than he has done in Ottawa. I wonder if he has switched stick (that he can trust in) or if Swedish coach has told him to shoot more.?...

Any thoughts from you Sens fans?

You're completely right, excellent observation.

I have been saying this for months. Karlsson used to have an absolutely lethal slap-shot that he frequently used first couple years in the NHL. Then he just stopped. Mostly because Sens are absolutely horrible at setting him up and usually look for Spezza in the far board, it pisses me off.

I am so happy he is back to using it in the Olympics. This will offer him another sizable weapon on offense which he hasn't used almost at all this year(aside from SJ goal).

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
"He's the best D-man-slash-forward in the world," Patrik Berglund said. "We're happy to have him. It's hard sometime when you're practicing and you count four forwards all the time. You wonder where your guy is. But so far so good."

That's great. He started this season still recovering from the injury, I can't wait to see him next year with a full healthy training camp under his belt. Just scary, but he is not at the peak of his ability at all.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Wow, cant believe Karlsson get so bashed on the olympics board and in the GDT. So Crosby is the worlds best player and scores one goal on the final and ends up with 1+2. Karlsson ends up with 4+4 and the GWG against Finland, also not on the ice for a single GA. Still he does not singlehandedly win the gold for Sweden, and therefor he is a choker and Crosby is the "clutch" "big game player".

Not saying Crosby isnt a big game player, he is. But the bashing on Karlsson is just ridiculous. Him and Lundqvist were our MVPs, AINEC. Without Karlsson we would ended up fourth.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it's not necessarily Karlsson, it's a dislike for more offensive minded players. Forwards like Ovy and defence-men like Green who forgo defensive duties are chastised contiously. To Karlsson's credit, he doesn't forgo defensive duties, but more that he plays it slightly unconventionally and sometimes poorly.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow, cant believe Karlsson get so bashed on the olympics board and in the GDT. So Crosby is the worlds best player and scores one goal on the final and ends up with 1+2. Karlsson ends up with 4+4 and the GWG against Finland, also not on the ice for a single GA. Still he does not singlehandedly win the gold for Sweden, and therefor he is a choker and Crosby is the "clutch" "big game player".

Not saying Crosby isnt a big game player, he is. But the bashing on Karlsson is just ridiculous. Him and Lundqvist were our MVPs, AINEC. Without Karlsson we would ended up fourth.

Agreed. Very frustrating to see on the forums over and over though.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I just read Karlsson wasn't on the ice for a single goal against all tournament. Can anyone confirm this?

MikeyMagic

Jun 22, 2005
I just read Karlsson wasn't on the ice for a single goal against all tournament. Can anyone confirm this?

It is true. He couldn't get anything going today but that was all team Sweden. He was outstanding these Olympics and clearly the best dman in the tournament. Other teams fanbases can bash all they want, I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world so I'll just sit back and enjoy

Major Might

Oct 18, 2013
It is true. He couldn't get anything going today but that was all team Sweden. He was outstanding these Olympics and clearly the best dman in the tournament. Other teams fanbases can bash all they want, I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world so I'll just sit back and enjoy

Here we go :laugh:

I love Karlsson just as much as the next guy, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Crosby.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Here we go :laugh:

I love Karlsson just as much as the next guy, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Crosby.

This!! Crosby is money. Karlsson is just incredibly talented and a master at times with the puck. Frustrating game today for Karslsson for sure but we all know what he can do. But com'mon - I'd take Sid over EK anyday!

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Canadian defence gave EK no chance today, not his fault. SWE as a team just was not good enough, honestly, I was not nervous before gold medal game, the way Canada has been playing all tourney make them almost impossible to beat. SWE had a very good run considering all the injuries they suffered.

EK was still their best player IMO..hey, silver is pretty darn good. He gained some great experience playing at the highest level possible, and was doing ok.. this can only help the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad