Karlsson's season and future | MOD Warning Post 508

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
For anyone that understands advanced stats, go and check out Karlssons HARO, HARD, and HART. Theses stats tell the story I'm trying to explain.

I think you mean anyone who believes in the advanced stats...some of that stuff is just fluff.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not to generalize (although this is definitely a generalization) but the Swedes are a bit cold like that. There's a bit of a different attitude and cultural background at play here.

And HSF is right, a lot (heck, maybe even the majority) of pro athletes have a chip on their shoulders these days. I think, with the amount of competition, the (over)training required to be a pro and the whole elite sports culture around these days (special clothing lines, the "Nike attitude" effect, big money, insta-fame, etc) it's something most pro athletes pretty much need to survive.

This day and age where any yahoo with a keyboard and express their views on an athlete to the world, cameras everywhere, sports channels 24-7, and instant access to everything, you need that super arrogant attitude not to go crazy...and keep your spot on the roster.

Personally, I don't like it. I'd much rather cheer for a good player who is also a kind and humble person, but it just doesn't work that way anymore. Whoever coined the phrase the meek shall inherit the earth would turn in their quill after seeing the way the world works in the 21st century.

Well said. Karlsson may be a *****bag but he's not much different that guys like St. Louis or even Crosby (who, when the cameras aren't on, is known to be unpleasant).

I like Karlsson the hockey player, but couldn't care less about him the person. I'm not going to deify him like we did Alfie. As long as he performs, then there's no problem. The minute his game slips, then you know the vultures will be all over him for being a jerk (Barry Bonds syndrome).

My favorite player is, and will always be, Teemu Selanne. Class act on the ice, great player, and, having lived on the same street as him in Winnipeg, off the ice one of the most nicest, genuine people you'd ever meet.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Karlsson is better than Coffey or Leetch ever were. Hockey is better now compared to when they played too. He has been great during the Olympics, back with Alfie having fun! :nod:

Uh...no.

Let's not go crazy just yet and try to maintain some perspective. Coffey was on a powerhouse team for sure but that dude could PLAY and create offense just as well as Karlsson can now.

Leetch is a different kind of player without the blazing speed - more like Alfie actually in that he could control the play just through his vision and patience.

Give Karlsson some slack here - saying he is better than two all-time greats this early in his career is crazy. Let him play and amaze us without him having to be the best there ever was.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The first time I met Karlsson, he drove back to his house to grab me two signed rookie cards after we had chatted.

On a separate occasion, he gave my friend the hat off his head, when mentioned how much better the hats that the players get are.

Every subsequent time I've met him, he's been awesome.

Every person I know that has met him, has only good things to say about him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The first time I met Karlsson, he drove back to his house to grab me two signed rookie cards after we had chatted.

On a separate occasion, he gave my friend the hat off his head, when mentioned how much better the hats that the players get are.

Every subsequent time I've met him, he's been awesome.

Every person I know that has met him, has only good things to say about him.

thats good to hear.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
Anyone meeting the guy in 2013 should put an asterisk beside their interaction.

Major injury. Personal issues. I'd be surly as well.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone meeting the guy in 2013 should put an asterisk beside their interaction.

Major injury. Personal issues. I'd be surly as well.

Quote for truth. He's probably also unhappy that his security blanket in Alfredsson is gone. Combine that with all the other stuff and it could explain why he's such a grumpy Gus.

But, I don't care how he acts off the ice, but how he plays on it. Carry us to wins and the Stanley Cup and you can spit on orphans for all I care.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Keep building Karlsson up on that pedestal - we're the only ones losing in the end. Gotta separate man from legend at some point.

"You guys have lifted up the expectations pretty high," Karlsson said to three veteran reporters after the Senators practised at Canadian Tire Centre on Monday. "You talk about me like I was some (bleeping) god or something.

"It's not easy to live up to that."

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
If we could appreciate and celebrate his on ice godliness that would be great - perfect even. Unfortunately non-high 5s and having normal human emotions is enough to cloud all of it for a lot of this fanbase.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Uh...no.

Let's not go crazy just yet and try to maintain some perspective. Coffey was on a powerhouse team for sure but that dude could PLAY and create offense just as well as Karlsson can now.

Leetch is a different kind of player without the blazing speed - more like Alfie actually in that he could control the play just through his vision and patience.

Give Karlsson some slack here - saying he is better than two all-time greats this early in his career is crazy. Let him play and amaze us without him having to be the best there ever was.

Wrote that after watching some old Canada Cup game. I dont think he feels any pressure or even watched Paul Coffey play. :nod:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As far as I know, that whole non-high five to the kid before the Olympic break was never actually confirmed by any other sources. It was just some random tweet by a guy no one has ever heard of before.

Not sure why it's being treated as gospel now.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
As far as I know, that whole non-high five to the kid before the Olympic break was never actually confirmed by any other sources. It was just some random tweet by a guy no one has ever heard of before.

Not sure why it's being treated as gospel now.

Before the Olympic break, I was eating french fries at the Rideau Centre food court, and someone comes up from behind and takes a handful of fries from me. I turn around to see Karlsson (professional ice hockey player for Senators, Team Sweden, etc.) eating my fries. He looks at me and says, "no one is ever going to believe you, you know," and walks away; that guy is amazing.

#BillMurrayUrbanLegends - http://gawker.com/5591356/bill-murray-on-the-bill-murray-no-one-will-ever-believe-you-urban-legend.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Funny how everyone who has actually met Karlsson in person only has good things to say about the guy. You'd almost think those rumours were made up!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Funny how everyone who has actually met Karlsson in person only has good things to say about the guy. You'd almost think those rumours were made up!

We need an official source to confirm them first. Someone like Garrioch or Brennan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Before the Olympic break, I was eating french fries at the Rideau Centre food court, and someone comes up from behind and takes a handful of fries from me. I turn around to see Karlsson (professional ice hockey player for Senators, Team Sweden, etc.) eating my fries. He looks at me and says, "no one is ever going to believe you, you know," and walks away; that guy is amazing.

#BillMurrayUrbanLegends - http://gawker.com/5591356/bill-murray-on-the-bill-murray-no-one-will-ever-believe-you-urban-legend.

lol, that is golden...and the profile pic puts it over the top! :laugh::handclap:

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Now in the Olympics I sense Erik shots more slapshots than he has done in Ottawa. I wonder if he has switched stick (that he can trust in) or if Swedish coach has told him to shoot more.?...

Any thoughts from you Sens fans?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Now in the Olympics I sense Erik shots more slapshots than he has done in Ottawa. I wonder if he has switched stick (that he can trust in) or if Swedish coach has told him to shoot more.?...

Any thoughts from you Sens fans?

He takes a lot of shots here. He has a tendency to miss the net more often here for some reason...

But he leads d-men in goals so he's obviously doing something right. Plus Sweden's PP is a LOT better than Ottawa's at setting him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad