Karlsson's season and future | MOD Warning Post 508

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A couple of people need to relax we were just in a Rebuild we have been adding talent each year. So much over reaction.

Now we have ppl saying Karlsson will leave in 5 years... Please tell me how the team. Will look like in 5 years

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
A couple of people need to relax we were just in a Rebuild we have been adding talent each year. So much over reaction.

Now we have ppl saying Karlsson will leave in 5 years... Please tell me how the team. Will look like in 5 years

No kidding. In another thread I posted the Sens lineup from 5 years ago, and there are only three players left from that roster. Turnover in players is a part of the game.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise though, considering how many people started to panic about whether Ryan re-signs pretty much immediately after we brought him over.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Alfie was also part of a team that was bankrupt and I didn't see him say he was going to leave so I don't buy the whole not spending to the cap is what will drive Karlsson away. Like StefanW said you can't predict how much things can change in 5 years. Just look at how much turnover there has been since the cup run. Only Spezza, Phillips, Neil and Corvo are the players left from that roster. In 5 years we could very well be cup contenders or even have a cup under our belt. Sometimes all it takes is a couple big trades, a couple of big free agent signings and next thing you know you're a contender. This team could very well come out of nowhere in the future and win a cup similar to Carolina. Carolina was picked to be a lottery team after the lockout and they defied the critics and won the cup. Hell in 5 years we could have a new owner or Melnyk could open up the purse strings for a couple of years in a last ditch effort to win Murray the cup.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Can I ask a favour of you guys. For future karlsson threads on the main board when fans who don't watch karlsson think they're experts.

A list of all the quotes on Erik karlsson from current and retired NHL players. The link too if possible. I saw the ones from doughty and st Louis. I know bobby orr said something. So did Esposito. And potvin too of course.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

This way we could show like a douzen quotes. They never have a response for that.

Thanks again guys.

Are you asking for the the quotes or for us to use them?

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
What the ... You know his contract is up in 5 years, not this offseason, right?

Please see my post. I said "There is absolutely zero chance Karlsson stays when the contract is up."

I can't tell you. But what I can tell you, is if the Sens are going to be penny pinching, there's zero chance he will be back if the financial support isn't there.

No kidding. In another thread I posted the Sens lineup from 5 years ago, and there are only three players left from that roster. Turnover in players is a part of the game.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise though, considering how many people started to panic about whether Ryan re-signs pretty much immediately after we brought him over.

I won't panic if Ryan leaves. He isn't a generational talent like Karlsson.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I also find it doubtful karlsson will play his career in ottawa, all signs show he isnt happy hear, but he is locked up for 5 more years, and il enjoy that, and hopefully he wins a cup for us in that time period.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I also find it doubtful karlsson will play his career in ottawa, all signs show he isnt happy hear, but he is locked up for 5 more years, and il enjoy that, and hopefully he wins a cup for us in that time period.

What signs does he show that he isn't happy here?

Last edited by a moderator:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Losing Karlsson would suck, but as with any player if they don't want to play for Ottawa I don't want them here.

That said Karlsson is a top 5 defenceman in the league, and probably a top 3 player to watch in terms of excitement. While there are some signs that he is unhappy here I hope it's more related to things going on outside of the team and not anything to do with the organization. I don't think he'll just give up on Ottawa because of the Alfredsson situation and I still think, on some level, players respect the idea of playing with a single team their whole career if that team can be competitive. Ottawa will be competitive before Karlsson's contract is up.

Fingers crossed he wants to stay at that point, but if not he will make for a great time in the trade speculation thread.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I can see him being frustrated with this season but I dont see him not liking Ottawa.

SenatorArmy*

The only reason I could see Karlsson reason is him not liking the whole Alfredsson fiasco. You can bet his Swedish pride means a whole lot more to him than his Senator pride. I also think he wants to truly compete & if Ottawa doesn't take the necessary steps in years coming to be less of a pretender then I could see him wanting to go elsewhere. Ottawa should really consider bringing in another young stud swede or two to make him feel more at home. :D

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Where has Karlsson said he's unhappy playing here? Just because he had a rough 2013 doesn't mean he hates playing on the team. Losing Alfie sucks but it's not like he's been sulking and under performing in his absence. One thing about Ottawa is I've yet to see any ex-players, players around the league or even our current players say it's a horribly run organization. We're the class of the league in terms of professionalism and I've heard so many people say that. We treat players well for the most part as long as they show they want to be here. Melnyk may run his mouth a lot more than people want but he's by far the worst owner ever in the world. Could you imagine if we had Charles Wang as the owner or a guy like Bill Wirtz or Harold Ballard? They all make Melnyk look tame in comparison.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson is the type of guy who wants to be the center of attention. If anything he gains a lot more of that now that Alfie is gone.

Again all this is pointless speculation.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
karlsson's probably upset about Alfie leaving, and he probably knows how Alfie felt, but it's easy to fix if Karlsson is unhappy. The Sens organization can reach out to Alfie pretty easily after his career is over and put everything behind them.

SenatorArmy*

How does Karlsson seem like a guy that wants to be the center of attention? Just because people MAKE him the center of attention doesn't mean he wants to be. Seems pretty humble from what I can see.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
karlsson's probably upset about Alfie leaving, and he probably knows how Alfie felt, but it's easy to fix if Karlsson is unhappy. The Sens organization can reach out to Alfie pretty easily after his career is over and put everything behind them.
Alfie decided to leave. I think Karlsson is a big boy and understands that they are in a business and players come and go all the time. It would be kind of pathetic if he was sulking over that 5 years from now. But I bet he isn't even now

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
You can't be be rocking that godly flow and not be looking for some attention lol.

Definitely seems like a genuinely good guy though. Time to time he has his moments but he seems to carry a positive aura.

SenatorArmy*

Alfie decided to leave. I think Karlsson is a big boy and understands that they are in a business and players come and go all the time. It would be kind of pathetic if he was sulking over that 5 years from now. But I bet he isn't even now

He didn't decide to leave, he left because Melnyk didn't live up to his end of a verbal contract that he would be compensated for playing at a discount. Alfie turned his back on an organization that essentially turned it's back on him. I think Karlsson as someone who looked up to Alfie as a countryman & a great player appreciated none too much the way Alfie's tenure ended.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He didn't decide to leave, he left because Melnyk didn't live up to his end of a verbal contract that he would be compensated for playing at a discount. Alfie turned his back on an organization that essentially turned it's back on him. I think Karlsson as someone who looked up to Alfie as a countryman & a great player appreciated none too much the way Alfie's tenure ended.

Yes so what u are saying is that Alfie left. He had the right to leave. The team offered what they thought a 40 year old Ufa was worth. If Ottawa low balls Karlsson then Karlsson can leave but as we saw with his first contract he was offered a fair 6.5 mill deal and he took it

Ottawa has treated Alfie like a god the back end of his career if Karlsson gets that I think he would be very happy. Actually ppl here already consider Karlsson the next big thing

SenatorArmy*

Yes so what u are saying is that Alfie left. He had the right to leave. The team offered what they thought a 40 year old Ufa was worth. If Ottawa low balls Karlsson then Karlsson can leave but as we saw with his first contract he was offered a fair 6.5 mill deal and he took it

Ottawa has treated Alfie like a god the back end of his career if Karlsson gets that I think he would be very happy. Actually ppl here already consider Karlsson the next big thing

They don't even have to lowball him. If he doesn't want to play here he can leave & play wherever he sees fit. I think Karlsson's contract is fair value for when he signed it although he probably would've been well advised to wait as that contract is an obvious bargain now. Who knows what Alfredsson's intentions are but it'd be nice to see some amends made after this season, whether it's bringing Alfie back for 1 more year (if he has another year left) or some other role in the organization. Would just be nice for Alfredsson to be a lifelong Senator in some capacity.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Alfie never played for a discount he played for a front loaded contract, just like Spezza is. Is Spezza gonna bail on his front loaded contract now.

SenatorArmy*

Alfie never played for a discount he played for a front loaded contract, just like Spezza is. Is Spezza gonna bail on his front loaded contract now.

lol it's fairly well recognized that Alfie played at well below market for a great deal of his career. I'm not talking about about how the contracts were structured but for a long time he had an annual cap hit of something like 4.25 million. Meanwhile guys like Spezza & Heatley were making 7.5 million. This was the best player on our team.

SenatorArmy*

Just because a contract is front loaded doesn't make it fair market value. Granted he signed the contract, giving Melnyk flexibility to spend elsewhere. You'd be hard pressed to find a player in the league who left more money on the table than Alfredsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad