Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk Career Ending Eye Injury

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
Are you honestly saying that he did see this coming? Even for you, a ridiculous comment.

As I recall, JGP was traded for in late Feb and JB was cut in early March. So I guess, according you, Lou is so good that he made that move, with all of it's troublesome cap implications, because he knew with foreknowledge that one of his much beloved but aging defensemen with a particularly onerous contract would scarcely a week later take a skate to the eye that would cause an injury that would ultimately end his career and open up cap space to pay for that trade and then some.

"That, is one magic loogie".
So many pricks on these pages, one reason a lot of us read but don't post. This is a great post and right on. Love the Seinfeld reference. Keep up the good work.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Are you honestly saying that he did see this coming? Even for you, a ridiculous comment.

As I recall, JGP was traded for in late Feb and JB was cut in early March. So I guess, according you, Lou is so good that he made that move, with all of it's troublesome cap implications, because he knew with foreknowledge that one of his much beloved but aging defensemen with a particularly onerous contract would scarcely a week later take a skate to the eye that would cause an injury that would ultimately end his career and open up cap space to pay for that trade and then some.

"That, is one magic loogie".

Well.... The great GM's somehow get "lucky" more often than not. Call it whatever you want, but this team is closer to success today than they were earlier in the week. they became closer once they acquired Pageau as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well.... The great GM's somehow get "lucky" more often than not. Call it whatever you want, but this team is closer to success today than they were earlier in the week. they became closer once they acquired Pageau as well.

Lou apparently has a 4-Leaf Clover lodged up his ass then because he has lucked out his way through decades of being a successful GM.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Lou apparently has a 4-Leaf Clover lodged up his ass then because he has lucked out his way through decades of being a successful GM.

And this is why any of these comments about Lou being senile and getting lucky are stupid. They are not different opinions, they are just dumb.

I have disagreed with plenty of Lou's moves. Surprisingly (not really), I have been wrong more often than Lou has. It is time for some of these other posters to actually just say they were wrong. Lou found a way out of it and he will continue to do so.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Funny at the turn of events. For months, isles fans have chided Boychuk as overpaid, horrible contract, cap hit must go, old, slowing down, can’t play 20 mins, trade him, bury him to help the cap situation. In certain (and many) fans’ view, he had to be sacrificed to get under the cap.

Now, the guy ‘retires’ due to an eye injury and isles fans are coming out of the woodwork with ‘love ya’s’ all over the place...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Funny at the turn of events. For months, isles fans have chided Boychuk as overpaid, horrible contract, cap hit must go, old, slowing down, can’t play 20 mins, trade him, bury him to help the cap situation. In certain (and many) fans’ view, he had to be sacrificed to get under the cap.

Now, the guy ‘retires’ due to an eye injury and isles fans are coming out of the woodwork with ‘love ya’s’ all over the place...

Both are fine to have. We can all recognize how good of a player he was for this organization, appreciate his skillset (which is not common in today's game), enjoy the moments he gave us as an Islander, AND recognize them him being placed on LTIR is HUGE for this franchise.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Surprised by this, given that he was floated around as a trade asset (w/ draft picks). I suppose the concussion sealed it, as he seemed like he wanted one more crack at a Cup. I echo the warrior sentiments, but even early on w/ NYI he was much more. As good a shutdown D man that NYI had in decades; he could also put up points.

Do something with Ladd now and sign Barzal and Hoffman.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Great, great guy and great, great player. Trading for him and especially re-signing him were two moves that spelled out a brighter future for us.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
So many pricks on these pages, one reason a lot of us read but don't post. This is a great post and right on. Love the Seinfeld reference. Keep up the good work.
The main board is a lot worse. JB brought swag with him when he got here, and a lot of us will never forget him battling Ovi in the playoffs. Too bad he did not get a second ring here.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lol... at the “Lou is just lucky” takes.

Of course he didn’t predict Boychuck’s injury at the deadline, just as he didn’t predict a COVID flat cap.

What he did do, is what he has always done in his hall-of-fame career... find a way to succeed.

If it wasn’t Boychuck, then something would have happened elsewhere. Because Lou has in the past consistently capitalized on or generated these circumstances.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Lol... at the “Lou is just lucky” takes.

Of course he didn’t predict Boychuck’s injury at the deadline, just as he didn’t predict a COVID flat cap.

What he did do, is what he has always done in his hall-of-fame career... find a way to succeed.

If it wasn’t Boychuck, then something would have happened elsewhere. Because Lou has in the past consistently capitalized on or generated these circumstances.
i'm guessing that LL knew long before we ever did, and again, was holding his cards to his chest. he has no obligation to keep the entire fanbase privy to his plans. and while some fans do their best impression of a combination Yosemite Sam/Eeyore, he sits back, not revealing his weaknesses or strengths. sorry to disappoint you closet Rags fans, or whatever you are. Garth gurus? glass empty gigafans? whatever you are, who cares.

there is a reason that LL was awarded GM of the year, and Garf never had.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Not surprising. It's just the normal hypocrisy we see here on a daily basis.

Reactions: pursuit81

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The main board is a lot worse. JB brought swag with him when he got here, and a lot of us will never forget him battling Ovi in the playoffs. Too bad he did not get a second ring here.

I forgot about how JB followed Ovi like "a fly on an elephant's ass" (shout out Butch) during that series. He was playing like 32 mins a game.

And that sliding poke check, my goodness.

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

That's a very unfair statement. Why can't people have recognized that his game had slipped down a notch and he struggled some games last season while still recognizing that during his time as an Islander he gave his all, was one of the few credible NHL players we had, and re-signed here at a time when the Island was a tough sell to free agents?

We all knew Boychuk's contract was going to be an albatross the day he signed it. You're new here so maybe you didn't look back to the threads when Boychuk resigned where it was basically accepted that he was an overpay but it had to be done to get quality players to want to play here. So I really don't dig your post one bit.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
This guy called it a day before Boychuck retired. The Ladd retirement is no suprise. We have all been speculating that one, but Boychuck. Give the guy credit for calling it a day before it happened.

New York Islanders rumors: Serious cap relief incoming
New York Islanders rumors: Serious cap relief incoming
That guy is just reposting the incarcerated Bob info. Plus he says Boychuk’s cap hit is minimal...he clearly knows nothing

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's a very unfair statement. Why can't people have recognized that his game had slipped down a notch and he struggled some games last season while still recognizing that during his time as an Islander he gave his all, was one of the few credible NHL players we had, and re-signed here at a time when the Island was a tough sell to free agents?

We all knew Boychuk's contract was going to be an albatross the day he signed it. You're new here so maybe you didn't look back to the threads when Boychuk resigned where it was basically accepted that he was an overpay but it had to be done to get quality players to want to play here. So I really don't dig your post one bit.

Yes, everyone at the time said that they knew the last couple years were going to suck. We were all still happy with the deal. Years later, I'm still happy with the deal. I'm pretty sure we both posted that we'd sign him to that deal all over again just a few weeks/months ago.

There is nothing hypocritical about our posts. His play has dropped, he was a problem for the cap, and he did need to be moved. I was just hoping he'd get to keep playing and I'd have wished him well had he been dealt. I'd still say the same things about him and I think everyone has always said the same things about him.

Second thing is that Throttle isn't knew, he's Blitzkrieg or whatever (I could be wrong, I didn't double check before posting).

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
If this was engineered by LL, why not do it a month ago BEFORE you trade Toews for a bag of pucks to create cap space? Or BEFORE free agency so that you can sign someone of value? The timing makes no sense for this to be a sham to create space. lt is more logical that JB came to the end of the road with medical evaluations and reached the conclusion that it was not safe to continue playing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If this was engineered by LL, why not do it a month ago BEFORE you trade Toews for a bag of pucks to create cap space? Or BEFORE free agency so that you can sign someone of value? The timing makes no sense for this to be a sham to create space. lt is more logical that JB came to the end of the road with medical evaluations and reached the conclusion that it was not safe to continue playing.

I think Toews would've been traded anyway, though it depends what happens with Ladd I guess.

Boychuk said he told Lamoriello right after he left the bubble that there was an issue and began being evaluated. That was months ago. I can't see how Lamoriello was completely unaware of what was happening with Boychuk as things progressed from there. I'd doubt he made the Toews decision or other decisions (or lack of them) without having a full understanding of the Boychuk situation. There is a lot of room for Lamoriello to have an influence here though, and we know he has a history of forcing guys to do what he wants, so why couldn't he have had a hand in this particular outcome?

I don't doubt that Boychuk has a real injury. The question for me is whether or not he would've wanted to attempt a comeback if there were no other circumstances at play. For simplicity sake, Lamoriello tells him he's done or he is going to be traded to another crappy team he doesn't want to go to. If Boychuk's chances of returning are already slim or is a long potential recovery, that might be incentive to just agree to be done.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Why can’t it be both? It was definitely time to try and move on, but you’d like to see the guy go out on his own terms, not from an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad