Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk Career Ending Eye Injury

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
This was always on the cards once he wasn't getting traded. Sad to see him retiring like this but it beats playing your final years in the AHL, which is what would have happened. Now he can retire with dignity and get a full payout as well. JB is a player whose signing helped turn this franchise around and gave us respectability. His worth cannot be overstated in that sense. Hopefully they'll keep him on in a coaching role of some kind.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This was always on the cards once he wasn't getting traded. Sad to see him retiring like this but it beats playing your final years in the AHL, which is what would have happened. Now he can retire with dignity and get a full payout as well. JB is a player whose signing helped turn this franchise around and gave us respectability. His worth cannot be overstated in that sense. Hopefully they'll keep him on in a coaching role of some kind.

I think it's a slam dunk that Boychuk will be with the organization in some capacity. He's put his roots on LI so he isn't going anywhere.

Shannon kind of alluded to it during the presser, but Boychuk would be pretty sick as a member of the broadcast team. He's very well spoken, has a great sense of humor, and is highly respected by pretty much everyone.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'll never forget the offseason that Snow landed Leddy and Boychuk a few weeks before the start of the season. It was just what the doctor ordered. Boychuk immediately brought us respectability at the blue line. He was a perfect addition for this team and played his heart out for us. Sad to see him go, but in the hockeyverse he won't be that far away I imagine. We'll get to see his fair share of popping up from time to time. Pay that man his money...I hope he gets every cent he was supposed to get.

it was a great day getting both of them. Boychuk also started the season extremely hot, scoring a bunch of goals in the first few games.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Big fan of the player and person from what we've seen. Helped turn the franchise around on the ice and gave us a lot of memorable moments. A throwback type of player and I loved his tenacity on the ice. Wonderful career, but I'm sad we couldn't send him off with another cup this past season.

That said, now the Barzal situation can be resolved and our cap woes are gone. Lamoriello does it again. Who is having crow for dinner tomorrow night?
I'm having turkey. All of those who have said that Lou deserves a pass on the cap situation because he could not have foreseen Covid and it's effect on the cap cannot now give him credit for an eye injury that also could not have been foreseen but that the organization will benefit from. Terrible for JB, great for the Isles and Lou got lucky.

Reactions: Quicklime

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm having turkey. All of those who have said that Lou deserves a pass on the cap situation because he could not have foreseen Covid and it's effect on the cap cannot now give him credit for an eye injury that also could not have been foreseen but that the organization will benefit from. Terrible for JB, great for the Isles and Lou got lucky.

You can go ahead and attempt to make the point that Lou did not see anyone going on LTIR when he has done this multiple times before. That is what you believe (or at least try to portray).

At the end of the day Lamoriello is getting the Isles out of a shitty situation that not many (including me) believed was possible. The difference between me and you right now though is I am at least willing to admit I was wrong.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A great shame, this is why I think players should wear more protective equipment. Eye / face injuries would be easily avoided if the players just wore proper equipment.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can go ahead and attempt to make the point that Lou did not see anyone going on LTIR when he has done this multiple times before. That is what you believe (or at least try to portray).

At the end of the day Lamoriello is getting the Isles out of a shitty situation that not many (including me) believed was possible. The difference between me and you right now though is I am at least willing to admit I was wrong.
Lou didn't get us out of the cap quandary. A skate to JB's eye did. And there is no one on this site is more willing to admit when he is wrong than I am. No one.

Last edited:
Reactions: pursuit81

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Shame to see it end like this. But I don't believe it's a BS situation, he has had two injuries to the same eye, including surgery. He tried coming back for return to play and got hurt again. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

Plus him retiring is leaving money on the table correct? Is a retirement leaving his remaining salary unowed, or is it LTIR? Even if it is LTIR, doesn't scream shenanigans to me, but I thought if a player specifically retired they didn't get any more money

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Shame to see it end like this. But I don't believe it's a BS situation, he has had two injuries to the same eye, including surgery. He tried coming back for return to play and got hurt again. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

Plus him retiring is leaving money on the table correct? Is a retirement leaving his remaining salary unowed, or is it LTIR? Even if it is LTIR, doesn't scream shenanigans to me, but I thought if a player specifically retired they didn't get any more money

He's not retiring, he's going on LTIR and he will get the $1.25M owed to him season as well as the $4M in 2022-23.

Reactions: SI90

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, yeah, Lamoriello had no idea this was coming. He's just the beneficiary of unforeseen circumstances again.
Are you honestly saying that he did see this coming? Even for you, a ridiculous comment.

As I recall, JGP was traded for in late Feb and JB was cut in early March. So I guess, according you, Lou is so good that he made that move, with all of it's troublesome cap implications, because he knew with foreknowledge that one of his much beloved but aging defensemen with a particularly onerous contract would scarcely a week later take a skate to the eye that would cause an injury that would ultimately end his career and open up cap space to pay for that trade and then some.

"That, is one magic loogie".

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
It’s moot.

While I think there could be other Less-useful candidates for dispensing, Lou did what he could with what was given, and it involved a player many here thought wasn’t done and had fond opinions of.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are you honestly saying that he did see this coming? Even for you, a ridiculous comment.

As I recall, JGP was traded for in late Feb and JB was cut in early March. So I guess, according you, Lou is so good that he made that move, with all of it's troublesome cap implications, because he knew with foreknowledge that one of his much beloved but aging defensemen with a particularly onerous contract would scarcely a week later take a skate to the eye that would cause an injury that would ultimately end his career and open up cap space to pay for that trade and then some.

"That, is one magic loogie".

Yep, that's what I said.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Translation:

We feel a spectrum of varying ways about something.

Lou doesn’t miss a trick — even when regarding a fan favorite — regardless of presentation.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad