Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk Career Ending Eye Injury

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
If this was engineered by LL, why not do it a month ago BEFORE you trade Toews for a bag of pucks to create cap space? Or BEFORE free agency so that you can sign someone of value? The timing makes no sense for this to be a sham to create space. lt is more logical that JB came to the end of the road with medical evaluations and reached the conclusion that it was not safe to continue playing.

I think Toews was a goner at the money he was seeking / got. We’re still not out of the woods yet - we have Pelech, Beau, and Sorokin coming up next year, and an expansion draft which Toews might have been on the bubble for protecting.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Who is Incarcerated Bob? Is he also a blogger? I want to see what he said on Boychuck.

He’s a Twitter personality and big Isles fan. He seems to be very in the know when it comes to the Isles considering he isn’t affiliated with the team in any way (that we know of, at least).

He hints at a lot of things and has been increasingly more accurate recently.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Yes, everyone at the time said that they knew the last couple years were going to suck. We were all still happy with the deal. Years later, I'm still happy with the deal. I'm pretty sure we both posted that we'd sign him to that deal all over again just a few weeks/months ago.

There is nothing hypocritical about our posts. His play has dropped, he was a problem for the cap, and he did need to be moved. I was just hoping he'd get to keep playing and I'd have wished him well had he been dealt. I'd still say the same things about him and I think everyone has always said the same things about him.

Second thing is that Throttle isn't knew, he's Blitzkrieg or whatever (I could be wrong, I didn't double check before posting).

Id make that deal again 10/10 times. To have a player that they acquired WANT to stay and build something at that time was a huge statement. Everyone says Matt Martin is Mr Islander, but Johnny came, never left, and left it all on the ice.

Yes I wanted to try and move him this off-season. Yes, I can appreciate what he brought and be sad he can’t go out on his own terms. Those two statements aren’t hypocritical at all.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Who is Incarcerated Bob? Is he also a blogger? I want to see what he said on Boychuck.

IB is a Twitter personality who makes betting prognostications and occasionally breaks some sports news. I think he broke the Jets (football) Revis deal and a few other things. Some people think he’s great, some feel he throws a bunch of stuff at the wall and sees what sticks. Truth may be somewhere in between.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
M

He’s a Twitter personality and big Isles fan. He seems to be very in the know when it comes to the Isles considering he isn’t affiliated with the team in any way (that we know of, at least).

I like Bob and find him interesting- but that prediction is very “fortune tellerish”. It’s not a stretch to guess that the team was discussing various players going on LTIR. I’m curious if he ever said Boychuk by name?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Toews was a goner at the money he was seeking / got. We’re still not out of the woods yet - we have Pelech, Beau, and Sorokin coming up next year, and an expansion draft which Toews might have been on the bubble for protecting.

I can't wait for next offseason when the usual schmucks in Toronto, Rags fans, etc. incessantly lecture Isles fans about how screwed the Isles are against the cap and how Lou is senile and blah, blah, blah. CAN'T f***ING WAIT!

It's endless entertainment.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Thanks that tweet was pretty good by IB. Just from this, he's no Eklund that's for sure.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Thanks that tweet was pretty good by IB. Just from this, he's no Eklund that's for sure.

He dips his toe into leaking news in other sports as well that don't appear to be as accurate which hurts his credibility but for some reason he's pretty on the ball when it comes to the Isles.

Interesting because of how Don Lou operates.

Also @Beacon Isles I don't believe he ever mentioned Boychuk by name, although he generally does when a player is the subject of a trade rumor. Maybe he didn't want to leak the name of a player who was potentially retiring out of respect...but, who knows!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He dips his toe into leaking news in other sports as well that don't appear to be as accurate which hurts his credibility but for some reason he's pretty on the ball when it comes to the Isles.

Also @Beacon Isles I don't believe he ever mentioned Boychuk by name, although he generally does when a player is the subject of a trade rumor. Maybe he didn't want to leak the name of a player who was potentially retiring out of respect...but, who knows!
Lou has the cone of silence perfected to a T. If IB does have a source inside the Isles front office, hope he keeps it this way. I wouldn't name names either. Be pretty silly to do so, given Lou's zero tolerance for leaks.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Good point. Bob does seem to be on point with his isles rumors. And I could swear he broke the Revis resigning news with the Jets.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We're lucky here. This could have easily happened to Barzal when he lost his vision. then we'd be 2 men down.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Let's not forget that our own Costigan surmised that Boychuk and Ladd could be moving on. Half right so far. Waiting for the other sturgeon to drop.

I won't get my hopes up , been there before too many times with this team , but if Ladd were to somehow go as well, then we could be looking at long term Barzal and another significant scoring piece, either from UFA or maybe we would be bailing out someone in cap trouble .. and there would be much rejoicing.. but until then, just happy we will be able to sign Barzal, and likely bring back Greene and Martin.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If this was engineered by LL, why not do it a month ago BEFORE you trade Toews for a bag of pucks to create cap space? Or BEFORE free agency so that you can sign someone of value? The timing makes no sense for this to be a sham to create space. lt is more logical that JB came to the end of the road with medical evaluations and reached the conclusion that it was not safe to continue playing.
Exactly. But you'll never convince the geniuses who dominate this board of it. Anything they can conjure to anoint Lou as a savior they will when the real bottom line is that Lou hasn't accomplished anything yet that his predecessors didn't. Until he does the book will remain open.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Exactly. But you'll never convince the geniuses who dominate this board of it. Anything they can conjure to anoint Lou as a savior they will when the real bottom line is that Lou hasn't accomplished anything yet that his predecessors didn't. Until he does the book will remain open.

His predecessor was Garth Snow. How many times did Garth’s teams make it to the conference final? Zero.

Before Garth it was Mike Milbury (actually Neil Smith)....same question and answer. I mean are we going all the way back to Torrey to try to prove your point?

it’s true that some people here go on about Lou being this unreal savior. Of course he’s not. But he’s a damn good GM who got us a great coach and has managed to ice a team that has performed successively better each year in the playoffs. Now he needs to start building through the draft and stop going off the board, prioritize skating , and stop signing slow vets. I’m hopeful he’ll do just that. We shall see.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's a very unfair statement. Why can't people have recognized that his game had slipped down a notch and he struggled some games last season while still recognizing that during his time as an Islander he gave his all, was one of the few credible NHL players we had, and re-signed here at a time when the Island was a tough sell to free agents?

We all knew Boychuk's contract was going to be an albatross the day he signed it. You're new here so maybe you didn't look back to the threads when Boychuk resigned where it was basically accepted that he was an overpay but it had to be done to get quality players to want to play here. So I really don't dig your post one bit.
Fans were throwing him overboard for anything the minute the Covid cap crunch became an issue for the team. I’m not undermining his contributions, that he resigned, that his contract most likely was going to be an issue near the end of the term, etc. Not all. Rather, fans were so easily dismissing him to find a way to get under the cap. That’s all. Now, all of sudden, he’s retiring and we’ll bypass all that nonsense to flip the page to ‘he was the best, a warrior, yada yada yada.’

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Bro. It takes two minutes to look up the cap space and realize LTIRing Boychuk was not magically clearing up space for Toews along with Barzal.

Please get informed.

Reactions: buud

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
His predecessor was Garth Snow. How many times did Garth’s teams make it to the conference final? Zero.

Before Garth it was Mike Milbury (actually Neil Smith)....same question and answer. I mean are we going all the way back to Torrey to try to prove your point?

it’s true that some people here go on about Lou being this unreal savior. Of course he’s not. But he’s a damn good GM who got us a great coach and has managed to ice a team that has performed successively better each year in the playoffs. Now he needs to start building through the draft and stop going off the board, prioritize skating , and stop signing slow vets. I’m hopeful he’ll do just that. We shall see.
As you may or may not know, I take the Conf finals run with a grain of salt given the circumstances, and no, I'm not going back to Torrey. Even with Jack Capuano at the helm, from 2012 to 2016 we made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, had two 100 point seasons (might have been a third but one season was, of course, strike shortened), made the second round once. Not a whole lot different than Lou's record to date and the trajectory we were on on before Covid hit was not good. The book on Lou is still wide open, his signings (particularly Lee, Eberle) remain highly suspect, his draft picks still have to prove themselves (they haven't had the chance to yet, I know) and the prospect cupboard is pretty thin according to most. I question his entire "win now" strategy given the roster he had to start out with but I'm keeping an open mind. If his moves and picks work out (and if he gets more Boychuk-luck with Ladd) he may yet be a hero and I'll be the first to congratulate him, enjoy the success and, most importantly to some of the knuckleheads here, eat my crow if necessary (though I haven't bashed Lou at all - but not lauding him constantly and singing his praises is apparently the same thing as criticizing him here).

Reactions: pursuit81

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bro. It takes two minutes to look up the cap space and realize LTIRing Boychuk was not magically clearing up space for Toews along with Barzal.

Please get informed.
I'm completely informed thanks. Lou had three key assets he wanted to sign, Toews, Pulock, Barzal. He moved Toews and now we have two key assets to sign. Boychuk taking a skate to the eye put us right where we were pre-Toews move, actually in better position financially but with on one fewer top 4 defensemen . So are you trying to tell me that the plan was to move Toews all along? Don't think so. Lou backed himself into a corner he couldn't get out of and had to move him. Get yourself informed.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
IB is a Twitter personality who makes betting prognostications and occasionally breaks some sports news. I think he broke the Jets (football) Revis deal and a few other things. Some people think he’s great, some feel he throws a bunch of stuff at the wall and sees what sticks. Truth may be somewhere in between.
He's called a ton of shit.

He's the first one who got the Artemi Panarin to the Rangers news last year.
He's the first one who named TJ Brennan as part of the Nick Leddy trade.
He got Nikita Gusev to the Devils.

Lots of others I'm not going to personally type out, but he likes to post receipts on Twitter so I'm sure he'd provide them if you want.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
"Lou got lucky! We suck! We should re-build! Fans who enjoyed our luck and think that it was real, are delusional! Everyone hated Boychuk until he announced his retirement, but now want to have his babies! Was going to book a trip into the desert, but it looks like rain! I don't exaggerate... YOU exaggerate!"

Sorry, I may have exaggerated a bit. I hope you don't mind... :sarcasm:

open-uri20150608-27674-1tafjo_7ef154a3.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad