Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk Career Ending Eye Injury

Jack Johnson

Jan 27, 2018
What Is Next In Store For Johnny Boychuk,Now That He Is Calling It Quits & What Will The New York Islanders Blue Line Look Like Next Season?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, I definitely see some Lou in this, but also maybe Johnny said, COVID, I almost lost an eye, Lou and him had a heart to heart, and we will never know, but I suspect, Lou may have a golden parachute waiting for him after his contract expires to coach, scout, AGM, Player development, be Sparky the mascot if he wanted that job. All I know right now is it helps the Isles, sure we will miss Johnny but Andy Greene can do his job at a fraction of the cost. And now it really paves the way for Dobson's time to become a star in the NHL.

Agreed on all the bullet points, though as good of a fit as Andy Greene has been, and saying zippo against his game, I feel my preference for a physical defense leaning more towards this opening the door for Mayfield more — while Greene helps Dobson get steadied.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed on all the bullet points, though as good of a fit as Andy Greene has been, and saying zippo against his game, I feel my preference for a physical defense leaning more towards this opening the door for Mayfield more — while Greene helps Dobson get steadied.
Yep, we are right in sync on that thinking, I see Mayfield moving up with Leddy, or down if Dobson and Greene become the second pairing. More like a 2A and 2B if Greene agrees to a contract with the Isles.

Jack Johnson

Jan 27, 2018
What Makes You Say That The Blue Line Should Look Like This If We Resign Andy Greene?:

Left Defense-Right Defense

Adam Pelech-Ryan Pulock
Nick Leddy-Scott Mayfield
Andy Greene-Noah Dobson

Reactions: SI90

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Gotta feel for him watching that press conference. He's put everything on the line time and again, and is clearly gonna miss it like hell.
Maybe a future Butch?

Last edited:
Reactions: nyisleslover

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
why do I have a feeling the Islanders are going to regret trading Devon Toews

We accept it as a necessary evil. No one wanted to see him traded, but when we ink Barzal, nobody is going to be thinking twice about it either. The salaries that put us in salary cap hell are usually lamented, but the casualties aren't normally thought about that much because it represents us signing Barzal.

Reactions: frankieboy

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'll never forget the offseason that Snow landed Leddy and Boychuk a few weeks before the start of the season. It was just what the doctor ordered. Boychuk immediately brought us respectability at the blue line. He was a perfect addition for this team and played his heart out for us. Sad to see him go, but in the hockeyverse he won't be that far away I imagine. We'll get to see his fair share of popping up from time to time. Pay that man his money...I hope he gets every cent he was supposed to get.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
A5953D4D-E11C-4C4B-BF8A-AF31C47EDC5D.jpeg

Great photo.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Well this was definitely a tough day filled with mixed emotions. The fact is that Boychuk had basically become a third pairing defenseman and simply put this news sets the team up in a better situation with signing key players and the possibility of upgrades. However, in the six years that Johnny Rockets has been on the Island, he has probably been my favorite player on the team. Maybe for the first 3 years it was the traitor and the last 3 years it was Barzal, but taking the entire span of time into consideration, I would be hard pressed to put any guy ahead of JB. He is the epitome of a warrior and a leader and a teammate. You only need to look at the social media comments coming in from current Isles, former Isles and his former teammates all around the league. I honestly think he would make a great defensemen assistant coach and would love for him to have a role with the Isles moving forward. Thanks for the hits, the blocked shots, the bombs from the point and tons of great memories JB!!!!!!! Hard to believe but he actually spent more time in his career with the Isles than the Bruins and he retires an Islander!

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
Crazy thing...when we were talking about finding cap room, the talk was trying to find a trading partner for Boychuk and I didn't have a problem with it as I knew the team needed to do it. Now, we get this news which accomplishes the same goal without having to move assets and yet.....here I sit feeling sad and a little empty that our warrior won't be in an Islander uniform next year. I really hope Lou finds a spot in the organization for him as he needs to be around the players that respect and talk so highly of him. Unlike the other Johnny, I have the up most respect for this guy and wish him all the happiness in the world, he will be missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad