News Article: Joe Veleno

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Let's relax here. Playoff scoring in general goes down for most players, not just Veleno. Also, Steve Yzerman played in junior, during a much higher scoring era, and his numbers were not that great in junior all things considered. Patience is something we need to have, and Veleno is 19 years old. And no, I am not comparing the two, just saying we need to relax. Veleno has said, in an interview recently he has been working hard on his defensive game, so that can explain the drop, and the fact his whole team isn't scoring a lot.

Reactions: lilidk

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying for this to just be a lack of skill, Veleno would have to be a total bum who only scores on bad teams, since he's not producing at all right now. But because we have regular season evidence to the contrary, that explanation seems unlikely. The next most likely explanation for the sudden drop in production is that he's injured.

But that's a good point too. Rasmussen scored a billion points a game last year in a better league on a worse team. Are we to believe that Rasmussen was a way better junior level offensive player than Veleno? Veleno beats up on bad teams, but Rasmussen never had to? I don't believe that at all.

You keep saying that injury is likely. But again, given the fact that multiple players on his team are down significantly in ppg that doesn't hold. Its much more likely that the play style of the playoffs reduces offensive output.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Are the playoffs somehow different in the Q than in the W? Because this didn't happen to Rasmussen...

Ras also was coming back from an injury and moved from centering his own line to being a winger on the top line. The decreased responsibilities, and combined with finally being healthy lead to him scoring a ton of points. Also sometimes players just get hot. LeBlanc has never been a world burner, but somehow last night he gets 4 points in a playoff game. But, unless you want to posit that the whole of Veleno's team is injured, just claiming he's injured and the rest of his team are seeing depression in ppg for other reasons, is a nonsense answer based on special pleading.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Ras also was coming back from an injury and moved from centering his own line to being a winger on the top line. The decreased responsibilities, and combined with finally being healthy lead to him scoring a ton of points. Also sometimes players just get hot. LeBlanc has never been a world burner, but somehow last night he gets 4 points in a playoff game. But, unless you want to posit that the whole of Veleno's team is injured, just claiming he's injured and the rest of his team are seeing depression in ppg for other reasons, is a nonsense answer based on special pleading.
But what's happening to Veleno is not what is happening to his teammates. He had a stretch of 1 point in 6 games before today. That didn't happen to the other guys on his team. That top line has been scoring all along. So, what? Are we just going to say that all of Comtois, Mercer, and Lauzon are better than Veleno because they can still score? Like is that the take-home here? Are we going with the idea that Rasmussen is a better offensive player than Veleno?

Were you the guy who was unreasonably critical of Veleno earlier in the year? I seem to remember that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kevin LaBanc actually lead the OHL in scoring when he was in junior. He was an overage player I believe but um he had tons of offensive chops when he was a younger player and a lethal shot his entire hockey career. Not saying it does anything else, but he has indicated plus offense for quite a while actually.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He had a stretch of 1 point in 6 games before today

And sometimes players just hit a cold stretch where they can’t buy a point. It happens far less frequently in juniors, but 1 in 6 became 3 in 7 tonight. It takes his playoff total to like 14 in 14? Which keeps him near or at the top for his team. I think Shaman in right on this one, the playoffs have likely tightened up. He’s been getting special attention all year for being a big driver of offense, and I’m sure that comes with even higher scrutiny in the playoffs.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
But what's happening to Veleno is not what is happening to his teammates. He had a stretch of 1 point in 6 games before today. That didn't happen to the other guys on his team. That top line has been scoring all along. So, what? Are we just going to say that all of Comtois, Mercer, and Lauzon are better than Veleno because they can still score? Like is that the take-home here? Are we going with the idea that Rasmussen is a better offensive player than Veleno?

Were you the guy who was unreasonably critical of Veleno earlier in the year? I seem to remember that.

I still am critical of him. I think that he's not your classic D+1 because of his exceptional status, so I see him as a D+1.5. I also think that at least part of his jump in ppg is accounted for by playing with the top offensive team in the CHL. So, I am still in camp 'show me this in the AHL' before I believe he's going to be a top 6 center at the pro level.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Are all you guys who discussing Veleno actually watching him playing ,or just try to speculate. I've heard a lot about him , but never watched him . Also why do we compare him to Rasmussen. There are totally different and supposed to benefits from each other.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Are all you guys who discussing Veleno actually watching him playing ,or just try to speculate. I've heard a lot about him , but never watched him . Also why do we compare him to Rasmussen. There are totally different and supposed to benefits from each other.

People compare to what they know. And I try to watch when I can find videos, but for CHL hockey its spotty, and sites get taken down time to time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Had the best scoring chances for/against -ratio.

What are you talking about? He didn't have any scoring chances. Meier had 3 or 4, and couple other Sharks had chances, while Nyquist had 0 scoring chances, and set up 0 scoring chances.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What are you talking about? He didn't have any scoring chances. Meier had 3 or 4, and couple other Sharks had chances, while Nyquist had 0 scoring chances, and set up 0 scoring chances.

On-the-ice statistics. If you were watching only individual statistics, then good for you.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Not surprised to see Veleno's performance dip. He had a spectacular regular season with basically zero slumps... it was bound to happen eventually.

He just needs to continue getting stronger. He is a fluid skater with fantastic skill already. What's going to hold him back right now is being pushed to the outside of the ice. Can't have that as a center.

Reactions: firestarter

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wouldn’t mind Drummondville losing tonight if it means Veleno might be able to join GR and get a taste of AHL playoff hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad