News Article: Joe Veleno

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think you are underselling Bergeron. Over his last 4 seasons he is running a 82 game average of roughly 33 goals and 42 assists for 75 points. While winning about 58% of faceoffs, and maintaining a Corsi of 58%. He is a shut down two way center who can pot 30+ goals and should be able to log in at a point per game in full season. As good as he is, I still think he is underrated.

Bergeron's peak has been my high water mark hopes for Larkin. Larkin looks like he will be able to hit the offensive end without issue, but he needs to work on discipline and can still improve defensively.

For me, I think Veleno will make his mark more offensive than he will defensive. I don't view Veleno as a shut down candidate right now, I think we are dealing with a high IQ center who knows where to position himself and has the "give-a-damn" to be proactive on both ends of the ice. Offensively, I think the skill is there, and I will fully admit I'm more on board the hype train than most, but I think the name I would throw out as a lite comparable would be Barkov. Plus hands and puckhandling, really makes his money with his hockey sense and vision as a playmaker. I think the main difference is Veleno will be a more dynamic skater (speed and agility), whereas Barkov has more of a power style of play. Again, not going to say that Veleno will be at the level of Barkov, but a player who is known for primarily the same methods of production with different physical traits to get it done. I have no issue with saying Veleno could be a 50-60 point guy in the future. Could be more, could obviously be less.

I'm pretty confident Veleno will be putting up at least 50 points per year in his prime.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
^^ Comparing any prospect to an NHL top line player is dangerous.

Larkin is at least an NHL player, and comparing him to another player and possible ceiling is at least reasonable.

To be honest there is no garauntee that Veleno even plays 100-200 NHL Games at this point.
Lets try not to put lofty expectations on him.

However, I am very pleased with our 30th OA pick at this point!!

I dunno man, I think Veleno is a lock to be an NHL regular. I think he is pretty much a slamdunk to play at least 200 games. Even if he doesn't hit his ceiling, he would still be a useful 3rd liner. I don't see anything at all that suggests he won't be AT WORST a 3rd line NHL center. Having watched his every single shift the last 2 games live, I just think he has too high of a hockey IQ to not be an NHL regular. I know 2 games is not a good enough sample size, but at least I can say I've seen him play 2 games up close. I just think with his on-ice vision and awareness, and play-making abilities, he is a safe bet to be an NHL regular. Wether he peaks as a 3rd liner, or a 2nd liner, or maybe even a first liner remains to be seen. I've loved the pick ever since we picked him, and 1 year later I love it even more.

I'm not ready to call him a future NHL star, but I'd bet a lot of money that he is an NHL regular putting up a minimum of 0.5 ppg in the not too distant future.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I dunno man, I think Veleno is a lock to be an NHL regular. I think he is pretty much a slamdunk to play at least 200 games. Even if he doesn't hit his ceiling, he would still be a useful 3rd liner. I don't see anything at all that suggests he won't be AT WORST a 3rd line NHL center. Having watched his every single shift the last 2 games live, I just think he has too high of a hockey IQ to not be an NHL regular. I know 2 games is not a good enough sample size, but at least I can say I've seen him play 2 games up close. I just think with his on-ice vision and awareness, and play-making abilities, he is a safe bet to be an NHL regular. Wether he peaks as a 3rd liner, or a 2nd liner, or maybe even a first liner remains to be seen. I've loved the pick ever since we picked him, and 1 year later I love it even more.

I'm not ready to call him a future NHL star, but I'd bet a lot of money that he is an NHL regular putting up a minimum of 0.5 ppg in the not too distant future.

That is dangerous ground though. He looks promising, but way too much can happen.

Reactions: Snuggs

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Until you have played professional hockey, you haven't played professional hockey. I am absolutely thrilled about what he has done this season but have no desire to make stone cold lock guarantees about his future.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Veleno is not playing on the top line with Comtois and Guay, unless they are on the power play. That is the way it has been most of the season. I wonder if the coaching staff has leaned on him to be more of a shut down player for the playoffs.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Veleno with a 2nd Period Goal tonight... Drummondville wins 3-2 in Double OT and advances to the Western Conference Final for the showdown against Rouyn-Noranda

Reactions: mantha39

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Veleno with a 2nd Period Goal tonight... Drummondville wins 3-2 in Double OT and advances to the Western Conference Final for the showdown against Rouyn-Noranda

I believe they get re-seeded and he will play McIsaac and the Halifax mooseheads

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Is he like injuried, or his job now is different than before. He was the only bright spot this season for our prospects and now....... what is going on?

He's still on a scoring line. His linemates are for the most part tied or near the same production. Its just tighter play in the playoffs.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
He is on a scoring line still but I think they use his line in more defensive roles. He’s been great at the face off dots, so I’d assume they use him in more defensive zone starts.

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He’s been doing writing for the Red Wings website “Taking Flight” series I believe is what it’s called. His specifically is “From the Q to the D” and his final update was just released recently. He said his emphasis for the entire season was having his defensive game shine, and the offense would take care of itself. Echoed that it’s still his priority in the playoffs, just playing as complete of a game as he can with the upped intensity that comes with a playoff series.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
I've seen him play on april 20th and he's been pretty much invisible and that's for the whole third round. It's like he completely lost his confidence. he still tries to hit and play well defensively though but can't seem to get/create good scoring chances at all. some of his teammates have been outplaying him hard lately, including a late 17 y/o

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I've seen him play on april 20th and he's been pretty much invisible and that's for the whole third round. It's like he completely lost his confidence. he still tries to hit and play well defensively though but can't seem to get/create good scoring chances at all. some of his teammates have been outplaying him hard lately, including a late 17 y/o
I wonder if he's hurt. I mean, his offense has been very consistent for basically the entire year, and then he suddenly can't do anything at all.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I wonder if he's hurt. I mean, his offense has been very consistent for basically the entire year, and then he suddenly can't do anything at all.
Does kind of seem that way at this point, but he could also just have hit a cold spell. Overall, I'm still not concerned about his offensive potential. He has shown that there is plenty to be excited about with him. His first round was still really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad