News Article: Joe Veleno

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yzerman said patience. I bet he's on the Griffins with two of Hirose, Rasmussen, Zadina, or Svechnikov. Could have some interesting line combos if we so keep a lot of prospects in the minors next year. Considering the log jam, there's only a couple spots up for contention barring some magic from Stevie.

Patience does not necessarily mean keeping your prospects in the minors. It's more not making big trades/signings or moving future pieces for win now pieces.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Am I the only one who has absolutely zero expectations for Svechnikov going forward? The kid just can't catch a break with health, and will need to start making some noise soon, before too many other prospects pass him up.

Yeah i've already written him off as a future piece. If he surprises, great! But i'm not expecting anything at this point.

Reactions: hkydave04

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Being better offensively than Glendening is like being a better speller than a 3 year old. Its a nice factoid, but it doesn't really mean anything.

but still pretty relevant when you're literally quoting a post arguing that he is better than Glendening is....

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Patience does not necessarily mean keeping your prospects in the minors. It's more not making big trades/signings or moving future pieces for win now pieces.
Patience 100% means keeping your players in the minors. Thats not a bad thing for most prospects. If Veleno is good enough (I think he will) then let him have a shot. I think it would do him well to play in minors instead of on a struggling NHL team. IMO

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Patience 100% means keeping your players in the minors. Thats not a bad thing for most prospects. If Veleno is good enough (I think he will) then let him have a shot. I think it would do him well to play in minors instead of on a struggling NHL team. IMO

If he's good enough he'll be in the NHL, that's the point. They aren't going to keep in the AHL just for the sake of "patience."

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

No it doesn't, mean that 100%. It may be keeping them in them minors it may not, but patience can and very likely is meaning, adding outside pieces slowly to the group, without panicking and giving up youth in trades to get a quick fix. Patience doesn't have to be just regarding whether a kid makes it quickly to the NHL or sits in the AHL for a few years.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Taking Flight - From the 'Q' to the 'D'

For those who haven’t seen this in the past, Veleno has done a journal or blog of sorts detailing his season in Drummondville.

I like to hear that he’s coming to Detroit for training this summer. I can only imagine that will entail some inevitable training time with Larkin and keeps him close enough to the organization, including Yzerman, to challenge him in his development. He had a damn good camp last year, and I’d bet if he recreates that camp this year, he will find himself in Detroit.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Can't seem to find a shift-by-shift of him from this past season. Anyone got anything?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Taking Flight - From the 'Q' to the 'D'

For those who haven’t seen this in the past, Veleno has done a journal or blog of sorts detailing his season in Drummondville.

I like to hear that he’s coming to Detroit for training this summer. I can only imagine that will entail some inevitable training time with Larkin and keeps him close enough to the organization, including Yzerman, to challenge him in his development. He had a damn good camp last year, and I’d bet if he recreates that camp this year, he will find himself in Detroit.
I think all their top prospects should spend the summer in Detroit...Europeans too

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, I've got this feeling where I wouldn't mind watching Valeneo, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina, Kuffner, McIsaac, 6th OA, Oliwer Kaski, Larsson all in Grand Rapids next year playing professional hockey and developing on top lines/minutes in the AHL vs comig here and playing 3rd lind minutes, possibly 2nd line and not getting PP/PK minutes. Extends the rebuild out a bit, but realistically it doesn't/shouldn't hurt things in the long run. Any move you wanna make this summer is still attainable. And... With all those guys down, developing, Red Wings can just play-out some contracts and unload some people near the deadline(IDK WHO really outside of Helm possibly).

Play out some veteran contracts, develop youth, get (likely) a top 10 draft pick in 2020, hopefully trade some veterans for solid picks to round out the draft/rebuild/future. This would be the AHL/Griffin squad I would toss out next season. Send some others to the ECHL if they can't crack the Griffins line-up. (Hicketts/Regula/other forwards/new draftee's that aren't remaining in JR's/Europe. )

AHL:
Matt Puempel – Joe Valeneo – Martin Frk
Michael Rasmussen 6th OA Dylan Cozens 6th OAFilip Zadina
Ryan Kuffner
– (A)Carter Camper – Chris Terry
Wade Megan – Dominic Turgeon – (C)Matthew Ford

Givani Smith

Oliwer Kaski
Dennis Cholowski
Vili Saarijarvi – (A)Brain Lashoff
Dylan McIlrath – Jared McIsaac

Jake Chelios

Filip Larsson

Harri Sateri

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc and BSHH

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Idk, I've got this feeling where I wouldn't mind watching Valeneo, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina, Kuffner, McIsaac, 6th OA, Oliwer Kaski, Larsson all in Grand Rapids next year playing professional hockey and developing on top lines/minutes in the AHL vs comig here and playing 3rd lind minutes, possibly 2nd line and not getting PP/PK minutes. Extends the rebuild out a bit, but realistically it doesn't/shouldn't hurt things in the long run. Any move you wanna make this summer is still attainable. And... With all those guys down, developing, Red Wings can just play-out some contracts and unload some people near the deadline(IDK WHO really outside of Helm possibly).

Play out some veteran contracts, develop youth, get (likely) a top 10 draft pick in 2020, hopefully trade some veterans for solid picks to round out the draft/rebuild/future. This would some the AHL/Griffin squad I would toss out next season.

AHL:
Ryan Kuffner

Givani Smith

Oliwer Kaski
Dennis Cholowski

Jake Chelios

Filip Larsson

Harri Sateri
Cozens and McIssac can not play in the AHL next year.

It is a long commute from China for Chelios to play in GR.

Reactions: avssuc and Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Cozens and McIssac can not play in the AHL next year.

It is a long commute from China for Chelios to play in GR.

To be honest I didn't know Chelios went to play somewhere else, good for him, but why can't Cozens or McIssac play in the AHL next year? Literally dont' know why, I'm not trying to act like a jerk.

But whatever replace Chelious with Hicketts or some other defensive prospect you like(Lindstrom/Regula). It's prolly good for Chelios personally to move on and play in a better/different league.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
To be honest I didn't know Chelios went to play somewhere else, good for him, but why can't Cozens or McIssac play in the AHL next year? Literally dont' know why, I'm not trying to act like a jerk.

But whatever replace Chelious with Hicketts or some other defensive prospect you like(Lindstrom/Regula). It's prolly good for Chelios personally to move on and play in a better/different league.

Because both cozens and McIssac haven’t played either 4 seasons of CHL hockey or haven’t aged out of junior hockey.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

I believe Hicketts will also be up with the big club, as he will require waivers to be sent back to GR.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Regula will be in London for another season

Reactions: Snuggs

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Play out some veteran contracts, develop youth, get (likely) a top 10 draft pick in 2020, hopefully trade some veterans for solid picks to round out the draft/rebuild/future. This would be the AHL/Griffin squad I would toss out next season. Send some others to the ECHL if they can't crack the Griffins line-up. (Hicketts/Regula/other forwards/new draftee's that aren't remaining in JR's/Europe. )

AHL:
Ryan Kuffner

Givani Smith

Oliwer Kaski
Dennis Cholowski

Jake Chelios

Filip Larsson

Harri Sateri
Sateri is in the KHL

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I believe Hicketts will also be up with the big club, as he will require waivers to be sent back to GR.

I thought about it too, but is there really room? Mike Green/Trevor Daley/Jonathan Ericsson/Danny DeKeyser/Filip Hronek/Madison Bowey.
That's all without resigning Kronwall, or signing/trading for anyone else, and assuming Cholowski/Kaski don't push for a place in the line-up.

I feel like a lot of things have to go right for Hicketts to be a Red Wing come October. An I guess the lineup might look more realistic like this. Either way the point of the post/line up was to give younger guys bigger roles in the AHL vs coming to the NHL and developing maybe at a slower rate with less ice time and lower roles on the team.

AHL:
Matt Puempel – (A)Carter Camper – Martin Frk
Michael RasmussenJoe Valeneo Filip Zadina
Ryan Kuffner
– Wade Megan – Chris Terry
Givani Smith– Dominic Turgeon – (C)Matthew Ford

Oliwer Kaski
Dennis Cholowski
Gustav Lindstrom – Joe Hicketts

Dylan McIlrath

Filip Larsson

Patrik Rybar

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Regula will be in London for another season
In the OHL anyways....I could see London potentially trading him for younger pieces depending which year they want to contend. Either way he's going to be on a good team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad