News Article: Joe Veleno

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I think he'll be on the red wings next season.
Going to have to show out big time at the Development Camp, Prospect Tourney & Training Camp... Since he is eligible to play at GR, I wouldn't be surprised if he heads there.

IMO I believe he has a better chance now with Stevie Y in charge than if Kenny was making the decision... All younger prospects have a better opportunity than before

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Yzerman said patience. I bet he's on the Griffins with two of Hirose, Rasmussen, Zadina, or Svechnikov. Could have some interesting line combos if we so keep a lot of prospects in the minors next year. Considering the log jam, there's only a couple spots up for contention barring some magic from Stevie.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm just glad there are no obstacles to Veleno having both options at any point of the season, as opposed to the way Rasmussen got pigeonholed. It should be fun to at minimum get a look at Joe and an extended look at Zadina.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up playing with the Red Wings next year, but not as a C.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Athanasiou - Zadina
Veleno - Nielsen - Helm
Abdelkader - Glendening - Ehn/De la Rose

I think Kuffner / Rasmussen / Svechnikov start in GR.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Am I the only one who has absolutely zero expectations for Svechnikov going forward? The kid just can't catch a break with health, and will need to start making some noise soon, before too many other prospects pass him up.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Am I the only one who has absolutely zero expectations for Svechnikov going forward? The kid just can't catch a break with health, and will need to start making some noise soon, before too many other prospects pass him up.
I don't have zero expectations necessarily, because we have nothing really to base any expectations on. I think he starts in the NHL because decision time regarding keeping him or cutting him loose is looming, considering the youth we have coming up. We need to see what he can do in the NHL to decide whether he's worth keeping.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Svech is minus an injury definitely making the team next season from the start, as far as I know, he is out of waiver eligibility and would have to clear to go down. The Wings very likely give him a chance first.

I think Veleno barring an awesome camp, will start in GR.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Svech is minus an injury definitely making the team next season from the start, as far as I know, he is out of waiver eligibility and would have to clear to go down. The Wings very likely give him a chance first.

I think Veleno barring an awesome camp, will start in GR.

Svech was actually granted essentially a medical exemption. He can be sent to GR freely next year.

Reactions: NickH8

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Svech was actually granted essentially a medical exemption. He can be sent to GR freely next year.
I was under the impression that was to qualify him for this year's playoffs. Does it really carry over and make a difference for next season?

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think im more excited to see what Veleno can do moreso than Zadina. I do think he likely starts in Grand Rapids unless he blows everyone away during Camp

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't have zero expectations necessarily, because we have nothing really to base any expectations on. I think he starts in the NHL because decision time regarding keeping him or cutting him loose is looming, considering the youth we have coming up. We need to see what he can do in the NHL to decide whether he's worth keeping.
Oh, I agree he gets a shot with the big club. I just don't think he'll be any good, because he hasn't been able to gain any momentum in his development.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Is Veleno even eligible for GR next year? He starts as a 19 y/o with a 2000 birthday. Does the fact that he started as an exceptional status player at 15 grant him the eligibility to play in the AHL at 19?

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
yes, because the NHL-CHL agreement says that a player drafted from the CHL can play in the AHL once he turns 20 (by december of the upcoming season, iirc) or after he has played 4 full seasons of CHL hockey..with Veleno playing his first season in 2015/16, 2018/19 was his fourth full season, so he is eligible to go to the AHL if he can`t carve out a spot on the NHL roster out of camp

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don’t think it’s very likely he’s on the team next year, but very excited to see him compete with Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Zegras if we draft a center this summer.

Next year is a big step for him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I hope it doesn't shake out quite that way

he should absolutely get a look in the NHL at some point next year but he didn't play a single game anywhere all season

he should start in the AHL,I think it would be a bad idea to make any sort of decisions on him at the start of the year when he's gonna be super rusty

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up playing with the Red Wings next year, but not as a C.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Athanasiou - Zadina
Veleno - Nielsen - Helm
Abdelkader - Glendening - Ehn/De la Rose

Not to sidetrack the thread, but at this point Glenny is a better winger than Helm (which is sad). Helm has no business being on a scoring line.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not to sidetrack the thread, but at this point Glenny is a better winger than Helm (which is sad). Helm has no business being on a scoring line.

Helm works quite well with Larkin and Mantha. He is good at retrieving pucks, and lots of teams nowadays employ non traditional players on top lines, because having 3 scorers doesn't always work the best. Also, you need more than one line to compete, so when you are thin on talent, you need to spread it around, as right now, we don't have enough talent to have just one good line, and then a bunch of grinders and checkers everywhere else.

Helm is also better in the offensive end than Glendening is. Helm can't score very much, but he is involved in way more chances than Glendening.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Helm works quite well with Larkin and Mantha. He is good at retrieving pucks, and lots of teams nowadays employ non traditional players on top lines, because having 3 scorers doesn't always work the best. Also, you need more than one line to compete, so when you are thin on talent, you need to spread it around, as right now, we don't have enough talent to have just one good line, and then a bunch of grinders and checkers everywhere else.

Helm is also better in the offensive end than Glendening is. Helm can't score very much, but he is involved in way more chances than Glendening.

Being better offensively than Glendening is like being a better speller than a 3 year old. Its a nice factoid, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Not to sidetrack, but it was just a mock up for players, not something set in stone. But more to my point, do you think Veleno could play in the NHL next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->