Jimmy Butler requests a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Disagree with the bolded. He's upset with KAT and Wiggins because they don't work on their game enough. I think he's right in that respect. He could probably handle it better, but he just wants to win.

I think he's upset because as a late 1st round pick, he had to work his ass off to become the player he is today and gain the recognition he has now. Where as Wiggins/KAT were good enough at 19 to be #1 picks and thus may not feel like they have to train as hard as the Jimmy Butlers of the NBA world. They may feel that the minimum is enough, given they were picked first.

No, he's upset with KAT and Wiggins because they don't work on their games exactly like he does. Which is asinine. If Kobe Bryant demanded a trade every time he was upset with teammates' work ethic, he'd have played for all 30 teams.

The only other thing I can think of is that he wants to play in a big city. Which is fine if he wants that, but not a lot of teams out there are a better fit from a pure basketball standpoint than Minnesota.

Thing is too -- playing in a. big city is nice but there is a load of pressure that some guys don't want. Every single thing you do is overanalyzed and you will never be able to rest.

Miami should've teared it down and started rebuilding a few years back but they didn't and now they're stuck. They have a bunch of vets on multi-year deals and they still owe a 1st round pick from the Dragic trade. Their two choices right now are basically to stay the course and be average or try to get Butler and be above average. They're not competing for a championship and won't even be top three in the conference either way but I think I'd take option two as long as they're not giving up all of the young guys and more picks. If the price is cheap then I think they should be all over this.

Poor Thibs. He had to make one last effort to convince him to stay.

Butler to the Heat either tomorrow or Wednesday. That's my prediction and maybe also wishful thinking.

Miami doesn't have the assets for Butler. The only really appealing young guy is Abedayo, doubt they move him. The older guys like Dragic and Whiteside don't fill a need for Minny and the middle of the pack guys like Richardson, Olynyk, Waiters & T. Johnson are either paid too much or don't have the value.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Miami doesn't have the assets for Butler. The only really appealing young guy is Abedayo, doubt they move him. The older guys like Dragic and Whiteside don't fill a need for Minny and the middle of the pack guys like Richardson, Olynyk, Waiters & T. Johnson are either paid too much or don't have the value.

They're supposedly still in the conversation so they might have something the Wolves like. Richardson (25) under contract for four more years at around $10M/yr is a pretty good piece to start with. There aren't many great options for the Wolves if they want to move fast and the Heat, Clippers, and Nets are the most interested teams because none of them have a ton to offer. The two best pieces might be SGA and Bam but they're reportedly unavailable.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Miami really doesn't want to give up Richardson, that is the problem. He and Butler would be a great defensive duo at guard/forward. They'd much rather give up Winslow, but I understand they are going to have to give to get.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

It doesn't matter what he wants because it's not up to him but this is a change from what was initially reported.

The rumour is the Heat have refused to include Richardson in talks so they must be really trying to rip the Wolves off right now. Have to imagine he has to be in any deal if it gets done.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Timberwolves should not care one bit where Jimmy Butler wants to go. Of all the locations he's selected, none of them have anything worth while to offer unless the Clippers are willing to part with some of their young talent.

Make the best trade for your organization, Jimmy Butler be damned. He wants out - that's fine, but he has to understand that his needs will not (or should not) be catered to.

Reactions: Voight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I don't want to lose Dragic. He's not great or anything but he's one of my favourite players to watch and root for and that was the case even before Miami acquired him. Dragic back to the Suns has been speculated ever since they hired Kokoskov though and I think he'd be a better fit there than Teague, even with the age difference.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's a thought: would Minnesota entertain a trade with Toronto for Kyle Lowry? It would give them an upgrade on Jeff Teague, and Lowry just screams "Thibs guy". It would give the Raptors a 1-2 punch of Kawhi and Butler, and allow them to field arguably the best defensive lineup in the league on any given night with Siakam/OG/Kawhi/Green/Butler (or sub out Green for VanVleet).

I think Masai has to be looking into at least moving Lowry due to Lowry's unhappiness with the DeRozan trade and him not communicating with management/coaches all summer. The question is, would that entice the Timberwolves?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Here's a thought: would Minnesota entertain a trade with Toronto for Kyle Lowry? It would give them an upgrade on Jeff Teague, and Lowry just screams "Thibs guy". It would give the Raptors a 1-2 punch of Kawhi and Butler, and allow them to field arguably the best defensive lineup in the league on any given night with Siakam/OG/Kawhi/Green/Butler (or sub out Green for VanVleet).

I think Masai has to be looking into at least moving Lowry due to Lowry's unhappiness with the DeRozan trade and him not communicating with management/coaches all summer. The question is, would that entice the Timberwolves?

They could have to give up one of Siakam or OG in a trade for Butler tho.

The only issue with that trade is youre going to have play VanVleet or Delon Wright at PG after and move Green to the bench. Obviously worth it for a guy like Butler but you'd also be lighting a match to team chemistry so they'd better hope it works out.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They could have to give up one of Siakam or OG in a trade for Butler tho.

The only issue with that trade is youre going to have play VanVleet or Delon Wright at PG after and move Green to the bench. Obviously worth it for a guy like Butler but you'd also be lighting a match to team chemistry so they'd better hope it works out.

Best case for the raptors is you deal Siakam + Ibaka (cap) for butler

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So, apparently the Timberwolves asked for Ben Simmons when Philadelphia inquired about Butler LOL.

I understand you want to get as much value as possible, but even if Jimmy Butler didn't ask for a trade and had 5 years left on his contract at a reasonable rate, I would never trade Ben Simmons for him in a million years.

Reactions: Avs_19 and ShootIt

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm starting to wonder if he'll end up in Houston. Gordon+ might be the best offer they've gotten.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if he'll end up in Houston. Gordon+ might be the best offer they've gotten.

There was some talk of the Rockets recently but it's all quiet once again. Latest report from The Athletic says more teams are getting frustrated and believe the Wolves are delusional.

I think Miami could probably get him if they put Richardson in the deal but apparently they've refused to do so thus far.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
the Wolves reportedly turned down an Otto Porter deal and they're not getting better value than that

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
the Wolves reportedly turned down an Otto Porter deal and they're not getting better value than that

I find that hard to believe

Both that Washington would make that offer, and Minnesota would turn that down

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think this is just Thibs believing he can still convince Butler to return, so he's asking for unrealistic packages and/or players in any potential Jimmy Butler trade.

There was a report a few days back that said executives in the NBA don't believe for a second that Thibs is willing to trade Butler, regardless of what the owner says. Have to believe, given the reports of what they want in return, that this is accurate.

I don't fault Thibs for trying to get as much back for Butler as possible, but don't be delusional here. The guy is not returning, you aren't going to convince him to return, so cut your losses now and get as much back as possible so you don't set your franchise back further by letting him go for nothing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There was some talk of the Rockets recently but it's all quiet once again. Latest report from The Athletic says more teams are getting frustrated and believe the Wolves are delusional.

I think Miami could probably get him if they put Richardson in the deal but apparently they've refused to do so thus far.

I get that Richardson is all they really have to offer but does that really do much for Minny?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I get that Richardson is all they really have to offer but does that really do much for Minny?

He's a 25 year old two-way wing, who shot 38% from three last season, and is signed to a cheap four-year contract. He's exactly what the Wolves need and apparently want.

There's also the matter of them having next to no leverage and the other offers out there. I'm sure Richardson looks even better to them when a 30 year old Eric Gordon is reportedly the center piece of the package from the Rockets.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

This is the second time we've heard this now. First it was unconfirmed reports out of Miami suggesting a deal was very close on media day. So much so that Miami held some of their players back from speaking to the media until the very end. That was the day Thibs went to meet with Butler to try and convince him to stay. Now they were apparently making progress again but the Wolves changed the terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad