Jimmy Butler requests a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We've kind of forgotten all about Wiggins.

He was supposed to be the next great NBA player and hasn't really lived up to the bill.

Yeah, he has stagnated and hasn't come close to reaching his potential. I still believed in him but I'm starting to lose faith after last season. His numbers overall decreased because of his role but his efficiency was still pretty terrible and he doesn't offer much in other areas. I'll give him one more year since he's only 23 and he'll likely be the second option again once Butler's gone but if he doesn't improve then it's probably safe to say this is just who he is.

Reactions: Voight

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I saw Wiggins in person in his 2nd and 3rd year. He's talented but man, he was making all kinds of rookie mistakes. He's another in a line of kids who probably would have benfitted from staying another year in college.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Pat Riley should get on this if the Wolves desperately want to get Butler out of there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
From Woj:

Despite the objections of Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations and coach Tom Thibodeau, owner Glen Taylor has mandated that a deal needs to be negotiated to trade disgruntled All-Star forward Jimmy Butlerin the next several days, league sources told ESPN.

Butler has likely worn the Timberwolves uniform for the final time, because Taylor has no interest in bringing Butler into the team's training camp and threatening a bigger circus than already exists within the franchise.

Thibodeau has been willing to coach the Timberwolves through the dysfunction that has surrounded his star players, but Taylor has sided with Butler and agreed that the Wolves should part ways with the four-time All-Star, sources said.

So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia and Portland are among the teams interested in probing for deals.

Taylor and Butler want a deal completed before the Timberwolves' first day of practice on Tuesday, which would require the Timberwolves to use Sunday and Monday to become more aggressive in gathering offers. Taylor's plan would be to sift through the offers and bring those most appealing for Minnesota back to Butler and his agent, Bernie Lee. This way, the Wolves could learn which teams would interest Butler in signing an extension next summer, which is information that would allow the Wolves to get the best possible return.

Sources: Wolves owner wants Butler dealt quickly

It's hard to see them getting a good deal if they rush to get it done by Tuesday.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We've kind of forgotten all about Wiggins.

He was supposed to be the next great NBA player and hasn't really lived up to the bill.

He got a lot of hype/pressure - Maple Jordan - due to being the best Canadian prospect since Steve Nash and it got worse when he was traded for K-Love -- Minny fans wanted a star to replace their star.

If he works on his defence he can be a much better player.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
butler's trying to team up with kyrie. i don't buy the rumors of him trying to team up with kawhi. that wouldn't make much sense anyways

clips have room for two max roster spots and with kyrie able to opt out after this season they could both team up in LA. only thing is the clips really don't have much to give up for butler at the moment. knicks have more to give up and to be honest i can see kyrie preferring to stay in the east anyways.

next year's FA class is absolutely stacked. kawhi, butler, klay, even rumors of KD maybe opting out but i don't see that happening

also, i hate this whole "teaming up" BS

Kyrie's also from NJ, so I can see why he'd want to play at "home."

Clippers would be a great fit for him. If they can get him without giving up Shai, then you do it.

Shai
Butler
Harris
(we need help here)
Gortat

with Lou, Robinson, Bev, Gallinari, etc. coming off the bench. Not great but for losing the likes of CP3, Blake, and DJ in the past few years, it;s not bad.

They won't get him without giving up Shai, but they re one of the teams he'll sign an extension with so it would be worth it. Ballmer loves a big splash.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Kyrie's also from NJ, so I can see why he'd want to play at "home."

They won't get him without giving up Shai, but they re one of the teams he'll sign an extension with so it would be worth it. Ballmer loves a big splash.
Nope. Doubt they move Shai. They might move Robinson but probably not Shai. There are two players on the whole roster that I doubt move and that’s Tobias and Shai. They will only move Robinson for a top player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
More and more national media guys are mentioning the Heat now. Woj mentioned them as a possibility in his original story and then Shams added them as a team that's interested. Now Windhorst, Marks, and Bontemps are speculating about them as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, if I'm a team with cap space I do not want Jimmy Butler anywhere near my team. He's good, he's not great. He's not a guy that will lead you to the promised land as the #1 option. He's been run into the ground by Thibs in both Chicago and Minnesota. He turns 30 this year. And he seems to be a cancer in whatever locker room he is in.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Now this......

Man, if I'm a team with cap space I do not want Jimmy Butler anywhere near my team. He's good, he's not great. He's not a guy that will lead you to the promised land as the #1 option. He's been run into the ground by Thibs in both Chicago and Minnesota. He turns 30 this year. And he seems to be a cancer in whatever locker room he is in.

I actually agree with all of this but I still try to get a deal done if I'm a team like Miami. They're capped out for the next few years and stuck in the middle. They also might be able to deal with whatever his locker room issues seem to be with Riley, Spo, and his good buddy Wade in the organization.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No offence but they dont have much they can give up for Butler anyway.

Winslow hasn't been very good and doesn't fit in there, Adebayo is good but I'm not sure they'd move him, Dragic wouldnt fit in MIN and that doesnt leave much else aside from Josh Richardson.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Disagree with the bolded. He's upset with KAT and Wiggins because they don't work on their game enough. I think he's right in that respect. He could probably handle it better, but he just wants to win.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Disagree with the bolded. He's upset with KAT and Wiggins because they don't work on their game enough. I think he's right in that respect. He could probably handle it better, but he just wants to win.
No, he's upset with KAT and Wiggins because they don't work on their games exactly like he does. Which is asinine. If Kobe Bryant demanded a trade every time he was upset with teammates' work ethic, he'd have played for all 30 teams.

Tim Legler put it really well a few days ago when he asked: what exactly does Jimmy Butler want? He's already the #1 option, he's already got two rising stars as teammates, he's already got a good coach, he's got a team willing to give him big money.

The only other thing I can think of is that he wants to play in a big city. Which is fine if he wants that, but not a lot of teams out there are a better fit from a pure basketball standpoint than Minnesota.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well, if he's intent on teaming up with a guy like Kyrie Irving, that's the last thing he's going to be getting.

Like I said before, Jimmy Butler is overrated and if I'm a team with cap space I am staying far, far away.

That's a fair point about Kyrie.

Jimmy can't be the #1 on a championship team, but only a handful of guys can be. I'd sign him if I had the money or assets to bring along Kyrie or Kawhi with him though.

The wear and tear is a concern with him as Thibs guys don't age well, so I get that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's the problem I have with Butler: he didn't get along with Derrick Rose in Chicago, or Joakim Noah at times. Then he didn't get along with Rajon Rondo when there was the vets vs young guys war and Rondo sided with the youngsters. Then he didn't get along with management in Chicago and also Freid Hoiberg.

Now in Minnesota, he doesn't get along with Karl-Anthony Towns or Andrew Wiggins.

At what point do we look at Jimmy Butler and say "you know what, this guy is the problem"?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Miami needs to tear it down and rebuild. Butler isn't going to help them win anything.

Miami should've teared it down and started rebuilding a few years back but they didn't and now they're stuck. They have a bunch of vets on multi-year deals and they still owe a 1st round pick from the Dragic trade. Their two choices right now are basically to stay the course and be average or try to get Butler and be above average. They're not competing for a championship and won't even be top three in the conference either way but I think I'd take option two as long as they're not giving up all of the young guys and more picks. If the price is cheap then I think they should be all over this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Poor Thibs. He had to make one last effort to convince him to stay.

Butler to the Heat either tomorrow or Wednesday. That's my prediction and maybe also wishful thinking.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol given the teams Jimmy Butler listed as his preferred destination, the only thing he's interested in this season is partying it up and playing care-free ball.

Minnesota can't mess this up, though. Trade him to whoever offers you the most value. Who cares about Butler's preferred destination if a different team offers more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad