Jets Media - TV, YouTube, Radio etc

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Scheifele was on the Ray and Dregs podcast this week, and Dubois was on the Athletic Hockey Show. Both pretty good interviews.
Keep the podcast suggestions coming. I have been subscribing to all of them. Are there any that come out early in the morning so as to cover last night's games?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Keep the podcast suggestions coming. I have been subscribing to all of them. Are there any that come out early in the morning so as to cover last night's games?

None that I've found but I'm sure they're out there. There's a guy on YouTube who does reviews, previews and news every day but he's just a superfan and not an actual media guy.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
None that I've found but I'm sure they're out there. There's a guy on YouTube who does reviews, previews and news every day but he's just a superfan and not an actual media guy.

You're probably talking about The Hockey Guy. He's decent. He cheers for Vancouver, Dallas, and Boston so he's a bit more focused on them but he doesn't hide the fact. Overall a decent channel.

https://youtube.com/c/TheHockeyGuy

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks for the info. here a Link to the YouTube version of the Ray and Dregs podcast:

Hi @Jetsfan79, @tbcwpg and @Repoman et al., - just wanted to express thanks for providing your links to good media in the wake of the loss of 1290. This thread has morphed into a true resource.

Cheers,

k

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the info. here a Link to the YouTube version of the Ray and Dregs podcast:

Excellent interview.

You can tell Ray and Dregs are enjoying Mark's passion. Interesting comment Mark made about the commitment of players to constantly want to work hard and get better "like Dubey coming in and fitting that mold". He also mentioned he called up Dubey and they talked hockey for an hour and a half and one of the topics was Panarin and how he approaches things. Nice to hear PLD kind of geeks out on the hockey stuff like Scheif ,Copp, Lowry, Morrissey etc.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Jets Centric
Murat Ates from the Athletic (and from the Lion King twitter memes) joins Lyss in this episode to talk about what we’ve seen in the season so far. Tune in for some insightful analysis on the defensive pairings, the veteran/prospect dilemma, the meaning behind some of our coach’s quotes, and pretty much everything in between.

Podcast version:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy81MjRiNDkwL3BvZGNhc3QvcnNz

Reactions: ps241

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Episode 108 of the InGoal Radio Podcast, presented by The Hockey Shop Source for Sports, features Winnipeg Jets goalie Laurent Brossoit talking about the on- and off-ice foundations behind his hot start, why he doesn't need shots to get ready to play, and how the back-and-forth brain picking relationship with Connor Hellebuyck is one of the best parts of his job.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...=0CAUQkfYCahgKEwiwmeXws4_vAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQuwQ

I wont take credit for finding this. The fine people over at illegal Curve posted it on their website

InGoal Magazine Podcast: Chat with Winnipeg Jets goalie Laurent Brossoit and trainer Adam Francilia | Illegal Curve Hockey

Reactions: ICdave

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So have any of the 1290 crew found gainful employment yet, any of them get picked up any other station in this market?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
So have any of the 1290 crew found gainful employment yet, any of them get picked up any other station in this market?
Don't expect anything soon. Not many media outlets are growing. Some will never work again in media. Those with options will likely exercise those options.

Reactions: sipowicz

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Reactions: WaveRaven

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Interesting that they don't refer to it in the release as "FUNNY 1290" but by its call letters CFRW.

Good for the ICE though, even though probably not many people listen to 1290, I'm sure they'll get way more exposure than through streaming-only.

BTW the whole Funny 1290 concept is so bad that I wonder if it's designed that way, i.e. to be as unprofitable as possible for some kind of weird tax reasons? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have been better off just playing the random mix of music they had for the few days between sports and comedy formats.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Interesting that they don't refer to it in the release as "FUNNY 1290" but by its call letters CFRW.

Good for the ICE though, even though probably not many people listen to 1290, I'm sure they'll get way more exposure than through streaming-only.

BTW the whole Funny 1290 concept is so bad that I wonder if it's designed that way, i.e. to be as unprofitable as possible for some kind of weird tax reasons? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have been better off just playing the random mix of music they had for the few days between sports and comedy formats.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. I'm not sure if your familiar with the classic 70s sitcom WKRP (a show about a radio station), but it was revealed at the end of the series that the owner of the station changed the format to intentionally lose money . So this line of thinking is definitely not unheard of.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Hustler new site has over 10,000 followers in 3 days unless he took the TSN1290 Twitter with him on the way out

@SportsTalkWPG

starts Monday. YouTube for live or podcast at 3 for drive home

Reactions: jetsmooseice

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
My problem is that I'm just not all that much of a sports fan. I'm a Jets fan...a Bomber fan. My interest doesn't extend much beyond that. So listening to sports radio that isn't centered mostly on the local teams is a non-starter for me. With the demise of 1290 I listen mostly to OB while I'm out on the road because I just find I prefer talk radio to music most of the time. However, I often end up turning OB off too because they rarely talk about anything interesting. At home I listen to my own music or any of a number of podcasts or whatever, but the van I drive for work isn't really set up for that sort of thing so it's just whatever is on the radio.

I listen to CBC once in a while but it doesn't take very long for me to tire of the pompous tone.
Get yourself a small bluetooth speaker so you can listen to podcasts etc. in your work vehicle. I had to do that just to listen to 1290 for about a year seeing as a broken radio isn't a priority for my company

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad