Jets Media - TV, YouTube, Radio etc

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like the Afternoon Drive enough to listen occasionally but I cannot listen to The Moring Show because of Troy Westwood.

To bad I was a fan of his when he played.

I didn’t mind Troy on sports. He struggled with spitting it out at times but he tries to improve and grow learning new things like analytics.

However, Troy is just way too in your face on politics and social issues for a jock show. He ran me off with his relentless soap box rants.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
To each their own. If you have a platform and feel compelled to speak up on social issues in the sports realm when appropriate, I give all the power to you. I wouldn’t say that Westwood is always the most elegant in his delivery, but I give him kudos for his passion and standing up when most others on mainstream sports radio would slump silently into their chair. You can tell his occasional frustration on-air comes from a wholesome, good-intentioned place.

Understandable some would be turned off by it though when you’re accustomed to Toth’s incoherent screaming as he makes his weekly guaranteed-to-lose six-pack picks...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To each their own. If you have a platform and feel compelled to speak up on social issues in the sports realm when appropriate, I give all the power to you. I wouldn’t say that Westwood is always the most elegant in his delivery, but I give him kudos for his passion and standing up when most others on mainstream sports radio would slump silently into their chair. You can tell his occasional frustration on-air comes from a wholesome, good-intentioned place.

Understandable some would be turned off by it though when you’re accustomed to Toth’s incoherent screaming as he makes his weekly guaranteed-to-lose six-pack picks...

I 100% agree with “to each their own”.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I didn’t mind Troy on sports. He struggled with spitting it out at times but he tries to improve and grow learning new things like analytics.

However, Troy is just way too in your face on politics and social issues for a jock show. He ran me off with his relentless soap box rants.
I’m with you. I don’t mind Westwood day to day but the social justice soapbox crap is awful. He tries so hard to be “woke”. Him yelling for weeks about Pat Kane being a rapist with out being arrested or charged then when the evidence was coming out and Kane got cleared and Westwood didn’t apologize or even mention what an idiot he had been really showed his colors. He just didn’t talk during those segments.

USApegger

Jun 30, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't listened to 1290 since the season was stopped. I would have no idea what they could have talked about with no sports. Haven't missed it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I haven't listened to 1290 since the season was stopped. I would have no idea what they could have talked about with no sports. Haven't missed it.

They were having regular non-sports-related "drafts." The most recent one revolved around one hit wonders. I caught a bit of a debate about whether or not Ratt was a OHW for Round and Round. So yeah, you didn't miss much.

Reactions: Jets 31

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
They were having regular non-sports-related "drafts." The most recent one revolved around one hit wonders. I caught a bit of a debate about whether or not Ratt was a OHW for Round and Round. So yeah, you didn't miss much.

Calling Ratt a OHW triggered me lol

Reactions: Jets 31

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

LOL! If you look at my handle this is the reason I didn't go there. That said I agree totally with you. I listen to sports show/watch sports as a escape. I don't need a sport talk show guy pushing his politics when I want to hear about sports. Especially in 2020.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Like you I don't mind the politics and social issues. It doesn't help that Toth clearly has no interest in going there which I think leads to the 'soap box' and maybe not the most neuanced of discussion. The issues exist in sports and should be discussed and when done well it makes for good radio.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Jets’ broadcast crew adjusting to idea of calling NHL games from studio during pandemic | Regina Leader Post

The NHL is not allowing any radio rights holders to have their broadcasters in the building when the league begins play in the hub cities of Edmonton and Toronto on Aug. 1.

That means Edmonds and Munz will be working out of studio at TSN1290 in Winnipeg, calling the game off of a live stream shown on multiple television monitors.

One voice familiar to Jets’ fans won’t be present during the playoffs. That is the voice of TV play-by-play man Dennis Beyak.

Beyak normally handles the Jets on TSN broadcasts on television and slides into the radio booth when the games are shown on Sportsnet, the national TV rights holder.

However, he informed the team in January that he wanted to bow out of calling playoff games this year. It has nothing to do with the pandemic, nor the fact that the reboot of the season is happening in the middle of summer.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets’ broadcast crew adjusting to idea of calling NHL games from studio during pandemic | Regina Leader Post

The NHL is not allowing any radio rights holders to have their broadcasters in the building when the league begins play in the hub cities of Edmonton and Toronto on Aug. 1.

That means Edmonds and Munz will be working out of studio at TSN1290 in Winnipeg, calling the game off of a live stream shown on multiple television monitors.

One voice familiar to Jets’ fans won’t be present during the playoffs. That is the voice of TV play-by-play man Dennis Beyak.

Beyak normally handles the Jets on TSN broadcasts on television and slides into the radio booth when the games are shown on Sportsnet, the national TV rights holder.

However, he informed the team in January that he wanted to bow out of calling playoff games this year. It has nothing to do with the pandemic, nor the fact that the reboot of the season is happening in the middle of summer.

Enjoy the links in Kelowna Dennis. Without the TV rights what’s the point I guess?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I thought they said they would be in Vancouver calling the games from tv screens?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

They're calling the game OFF A LIVE STREAM.

When did the idiotic phrase "off of" become a thing?

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Edmund's and Munz? I feel terrible for anyone having them as your only source of play by play. Dude can't describe the game for crap and is behind on a good day.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
To each their own. If you have a platform and feel compelled to speak up on social issues in the sports realm when appropriate, I give all the power to you.

I don’t necessarily mind people speaking on social issues, but Westwood does it under the presumption that his opinions are facts. If he were to explain the reasons why he holds that opinion I may be more tolerant, as long as the reasoning wasn't horrifically flawed. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad