Jets Media - TV, YouTube, Radio etc

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I’m I the only one watching less because of Kevin Sawyer? I was never a huge fan of Beyak but he usually had a decent colour guy but it’s hard to take.

Yeah these days I just watch the home team's feed and it's because of Sawyer. I am going to be shifting to watching the other team's feed exclusively with the exception of maybe Edmonton as Louie DeBrusk is as infuriating to listen to as Sawyer. All the other Canadian teams seem to have pretty decent commentary duo. It's a shame too as really Beyak.

For the Leafs game tonight there was no commentary for the first 2 mins on my feed and it was awesome. I wish NHL would atleast give us the option to watch the game with just the on-ice audio and no commentary.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Yeah these days I just watch the home team's feed and it's because of Sawyer. I am going to be shifting to watching the other team's feed exclusively with the exception of maybe Edmonton as Louie DeBrusk is as infuriating to listen to as Sawyer. All the other Canadian teams seem to have pretty decent commentary duo. It's a shame too as really Beyak.

For the Leafs game tonight there was no commentary for the first 2 mins on my feed and it was awesome. I wish NHL would atleast give us the option to watch the game with just the on-ice audio and no commentary.

Yes. Living in SW Ontario now and it's fantastic not having to listen to Sawyer anymore. And I agree the start of the game last night without commentators was glorious.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Yes. Living in SW Ontario now and it's fantastic not having to listen to Sawyer anymore. And I agree the start of the game last night without commentators was glorious.
I have no problem with Sawyer. We have a good local broadcast IMO.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Was catching up on some Winnipeg Sports Talk on YouTube the other day. I regret to inform the following: It's basically 1290 and I found it a little frustating to hear the same stuff that 1290 used to spew. Other than Kenny Wiebe providing intersting thoughts and insight I'm not overly impressed. Toth and Kevin O was still doing Toth and Kevin O things. Toth doing mental gymnastics and contradicting himself every third sentence and Kevin O talking way too much.

I'm torn. While it would have been great to have some sports talk radio to discuss the Jets issues at this time instead it's kind of the same stuff.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm really trying had with Kenny and Renny. Renny is good, I have no complaints there, two thumbs up!

Kenny.... is a mess. To him, whatever the Jets are or are not doing it's the only possible way. Trying to listen to some of the end of season discussion was painful to listen to because of him. When anyone so much as begins to talk about how the Jets should so much as consider a different direction, not even saying that they have done something wrong Kenny starts yelling over top about how it's impossible and what the Jets are doing is the only possible way to go. Can I just listen to another point of view for a moment Kenny? He just comes off as an arrogant twerp and not the all knowing expert he thinks he is.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Illegal Curve is good. My only complaint is when they start cutting each other off and talking over each other. Overall that's my biggest problem with these armature shows, one person talk at a time PLEASE! I get it, this is how me and my friends get when the beer starts flowing and a good sports debate comes up. But podcasts are for the LISTENER and when you can't hear what anyone is saying because they are all talking over each other and trying to cut each other off it's annoying.

It's a podcast guys. There's time for everyone to speak.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Illegal Curve is good. My only complaint is when they start cutting each other off and talking over each other. Overall that's my biggest problem with these armature shows, one person talk at a time PLEASE! I get it, this is how me and my friends get when the beer starts flowing and a good sports debate comes up. But podcasts are for the LISTENER and when you can't hear what anyone is saying because they are all talking over each other and trying to cut each other off it's annoying.

It's a podcast guys. There's time for everyone to speak.
I haven't listened to them in a long time. Like you I feel they forget they are making a product for a listener. They once they talked about Hallowe'en candy for 15 minutes. But maybe I'll give them a listen again now that they are independant. Is it still the same TSNE rose colored glasses?

Rewucki does a good podcast. Just him and he's not afraid to be a little critical. Could use a bit less of the 'plates' and more of the 'skates' but overall it's good.

On a side note Toth has been hire by CJOB. Good to see that he's back working even if everything he says makes me scratch my head and wonder what game he was watching.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I haven't listened to them in a long time. Like you I feel they forget they are making a product for a listener. They once they talked about Hallowe'en candy for 15 minutes. But maybe I'll give them a listen again now that they are independant. Is it still the same TSNE rose colored glasses?

Rewucki does a good podcast. Just him and he's not afraid to be a little critical. Could use a bit less of the 'plates' and more of the 'skates' but overall it's good.

On a side note Toth has been hire by CJOB. Good to see that he's back working even if everything he says makes me scratch my head and wonder what game he was watching.
I think The Illigal Curve is what it was, kinda like Hustler's podcast. Makes me think there was a lot less direction and micro managing on 1290 than what most thought. I don't agree with everything but I like to listen to opinions even if I disagree. And these podcast keep me up to date on most of the interesting sports news. Beats the rest of Winnipeg radio hands down.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm really trying had with Kenny and Renny. Renny is good, I have no complaints there, two thumbs up!

Kenny.... is a mess. To him, whatever the Jets are or are not doing it's the only possible way. Trying to listen to some of the end of season discussion was painful to listen to because of him. When anyone so much as begins to talk about how the Jets should so much as consider a different direction, not even saying that they have done something wrong Kenny starts yelling over top about how it's impossible and what the Jets are doing is the only possible way to go. Can I just listen to another point of view for a moment Kenny? He just comes off as an arrogant twerp and not the all knowing expert he thinks he is.

I agree for the most part. I think Wiebe is a generally thoughtful guy, and has some insider knowledge based on his time with the Jets at home and on the road, but he does seem to regress to the mean as you note -- Maurice has the trust of the room, Chevy tries his best, CSW are one of the league's elite lines, all younger players need lengthy seasoning and the NHL isn't a development league, etc. There have been a few moments where he seemed about to chart a more independent path and provide some detailed analysis and critiques, but he is a loyal soldier who either believes the party line, or has some incentive to toe it. Which makes the show less interesting than it might be.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Just your daily reminder that in an ever changing world Jim Toth still says Jim Toth things. On WST he leads off saying the most important thing Ron Francis is looking for is cap room and flexibility. 7 minutes later states that if not for a deep pool of goalies Cary Price would get selected. Price makes over 10 million of real money and cap money with 5 years left and is 34. :huh:

In other news…water is still wet.

P.S. If this happens I will never say anything bad about him again.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I know from time to time the NHL network coverage has Jets related news. I can't seem to find anything easily when I search. Any tips? Anything from the draft / expansion and trade news would be worthwhile watching as we try to make it through the last stretch of off season before TC.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I know from time to time the NHL network coverage has Jets related news. I can't seem to find anything easily when I search. Any tips? Anything from the draft / expansion and trade news would be worthwhile watching as we try to make it through the last stretch of off season before TC.

What I do is follow the NHL Network twitter account.

To be honest, their coverage of the Jets is pretty minimal.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Any of you guys ever catch Toth's show on OB at noon? My god I can't believe that guy has a job where he is tasked with discussing things on the radio! lol...anyone who remembers his time on 1290 going at it with Westwood should hear how he and his new co-host Cam Poitras (I think?) get into it. The guy is infuriating. he never actually says anything! His basic position is that everyone wants to win, everyone is trying to win, therefore nobody can be held accountable for not winning...because they all want to win. So you think it's the coaching? Coach wants to win...and Jim knows it because he's seen stuff "in the room" and all the players say nice stuff about the coach. You think it's the players? Players want to win...Jim knows it because he's seen stuff "in the room." You think team leadership needs to change? Wheeler and Chef are great leaders. Jim knows it cuz he's seen stuff in the room...all the players say good things about Wheeler and Chef. They want to win. Chevy? Chevy wants to win...and Jim knows it. But yeah, changes are coming and when they happen then we'll know they happened, and they'll only happen if they improve the team...so let's have a discussion now but don't make any suggestions because nothing needs to be changed until it's changed (and you're not in the room anyway so you don't actually know anything).

Holy crap...so annoying to listen to! And no, I don't listen often, but every time I do catch a few minutes it just blows my mind again! The guy is incredibly dumb. :laugh:

Last edited:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Any of you guys ever catch Toth's show on OB at noon? My god I can't believe that guy has a job where he is tasked with discussing things on the radio! lol...anyone who remembers his time on 1290 going at it with Westwood should hear how he and his new co-host Cam Poitras (I think?) get into it. The guy is infuriating. he never actually says anything! His basic position is that everyone wants to win, everyone is trying to win, therefore nobody can be held accountable for not winning...because they all want to win. So you think it's the coaching? Coach wants to win...and Jim knows it because he's seen stuff "in the room" and all the players say nice stuff about the coach. You think it's the players? Players want to win...Jim knows it because he's seen stuff "in the room." You think team leadership needs to change? Wheeler and Chef are great leaders. Jim knows it cuz he's seen stuff in the room...all the players say good things about Wheeler and Chef. They want to win. Chevy? Chevy wants to win...and Jim knows it. But yeah, changes are coming and when they happen then we'll know they happened, and they'll only happen if they improve the team...so let's have a discussion now but don't make any suggestions because nothing needs to be changed until it's changed (and you're not in the room anyway so you don't actually know anything).

Holy crap...so annoying to listen to! And no, I don't listen often, but every time I do catch a few minutes it just blows my mind again! The guy is incredibly dumb. :laugh:
I'm fairly certain that most posters found this site specially to complain about the personalities of 1290.

Toth's problem was always 2 fold and is the same as always. I'm convinced that he spends no time researching or putting thought into anything to back up his opinions hence the constant contradictions and mental gymnastics he has to do in order to back them up. The other is he doesn't want to offend TSNE. Which makes his tweet about Jen Botterill being a fit for the Jets. It was well thought and back up with facts!

Reactions: rkp

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm fairly certain that most posters found this site specially to complain about the personalities of 1290.
lol, well I'm not sure about that. I think most of us found the site in order to discuss The Jets. Complaining about guys like Toth is just an added bonus! :laugh: There was a long and storied thread here for years mostly all about 1290 and the local radio personalities...one or two of whom have made appearances here as well.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
lol, well I'm not sure about that. I think most of us found the site in order to discuss The Jets. Complaining about guys like Toth is just an added bonus! :laugh: There was a long and storied thread here for years mostly all about 1290 and the local radio personalities...one or two of whom have made appearances here as well.
I googled 'TSN 1290 sucks' and here I am

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol, I had a little discussion with him on the twitter machine. I'd be willing to bet on the show tomorrow he's going to refer to "people disagreeing with what he said on yesterday's show" and he's going to attempt to re-frame his argument, and it's going to be nonsensical. :laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad