Jets Media - TV, YouTube, Radio etc

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Bell owns 35% of the total media market in the country, the largest of any single media company. To even boycott their product pretty much means you tune out most media outlets available to you in this country.

And by no surprise, when a company holds that much control, they tend stomp on anything that does not maximize their product ROI. Rolling prerecorded audio of a Carrot Top show is probably cheaper than paying Westwood for one morning show.

Yeah, sadly this move makes sense. I looked at the ratings in Calgary which has a comedy radio station of the same format as 1290 has gone to. It's ratings stink - last in the marketplace. It's content appears to be all nationally syndicated stuff, so no need for any local on-air staff.

But... second last in the marketplace is Calgary's sports channel The Fan. It has roughly double the ratings of the comedy network - but the costs must be much higher (plus they have Flames and Stamps radio rights). I can totally see why switching to cheap-as-hell comedy shows is a better investment.

What I was much more critical of was how Bell announced the switch and informed employees, rather than them making a business decision.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Giving The Rod Pederson show a shot. NHL coverage I'm guessing wont be too centric to one team considering Saskatchewan has no NHL team. I'm also a CFL fan so I wont mind the football talk. Can always tune out if discussion gets too Roughriders heavy.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
couple minutes this morning. Dreadful. Unlistenable. There isn't much worse than low/mid-grade stand-up comedy. And it's worse when it's audio only.
I listened at lunch and laughed a little. It is a nice option. The problem with the TSN option was that they had fresh live content all day. One would think that simulcasts with TSN tv talk would be as cheap as comedy.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
How long until Sportsnet/Rogers comes and sets up their own all sports station here? It’s not gonna happen, is it :(

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Awful not to have a local sports station. I actually miss Troy and Jim. Brandon has a good podcast at least

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So where can I listen to this game while I'm at work today? Anyone know if its being broadcast on any radio stations?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah 1290 basically gave up the broadcast rights a few months back and that's when most of us started thinking the writing was probably on the wall for the station...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hustler will be on illegal curve this morning as a guest and I think he will discuss the career change.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did they make the cut as comedy?

Lol

They have always run their own brand so it was a seamless transition for them they just won’t be on 1290. They have a YouTube channel and their podcast is available on most of the standard outlets

Reactions: Fishy

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
IC is the best show bar none, imo. I can't imagine any new podcast overtakes these guys

They also post on Reddit.com/r/winnipegjets and ask for tips on how to improve their show.

They just need more Murat Ates.

Reactions: DRC and SCP Guy

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
James Duthie also a big get; also O'Dog coming up. Good for them.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
What I was much more critical of was how Bell announced the switch and informed employees, rather than them making a business decision.

Agreed. It the station was not profitable, then it is what it is.

I have a much bigger problem with them taking government money to avoid layoffs, and then laying off people anyway.

Reactions: ElLoboBlanco

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agreed. It the station was not profitable, then it is what it is.

I have a much bigger problem with them taking government money to avoid layoffs, and then laying off people anyway.

Sorry to be a nitpicker...

It's not governments money... its our money...

And you are most absolutely right in your statement otherwise...

It's supposed to be used for the bettor or right...:thumbu:

Reactions: ElLoboBlanco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad