Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
My mistake.

I guess I am wrong. Just for fun, let us list the Oilers wingers who JP is clearly better than. Or, list the players that JP brings more than.

Shore, Turris, Brassard

That is all.

Or, we can look at it as which wingers are better or bring more than JP right now:

Kane, Hyman, Yamo, Kassian, Ryan, maybe Archibald (at least he throws a check), and maybe McLeod (can drive a line). Even it you take out Archibald and Ryan and McLeod, that makes JP the 5th best winger on the team. He should be on the third line at most.

JP is about as productive as Foegele. But, at least Foegele will try to play a physical game.
I would say jp has much more upside than Foegele.

Reactions: gordonhught

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Jesse is still seemingly raw and lanky. Will be a late bloomer, like big players often are. Giving up on him at age 23 is a ridiculous suggestion.

Agree. While I'd say Yamamoto is much more polished right now can his body hold up 7 years down the road playing the kind of game he wants to play?

Reactions: Kaptah2

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My mistake.

I guess I am wrong. Just for fun, let us list the Oilers wingers who JP is clearly better than. Or, list the players that JP brings more than.

Shore, Turris, Brassard

That is all.

Or, we can look at it as which wingers are better or bring more than JP right now:

Kane, Hyman, Yamo, Kassian, Ryan, maybe Archibald (at least he throws a check), and maybe McLeod (can drive a line). Even it you take out Archibald and Ryan and McLeod, that makes JP the 5th best winger on the team. He should be on the third line at most.

JP is about as productive as Foegele. But, at least Foegele will try to play a physical game.

I can only agree when it comes to Kane and Hyman. Both Pulju and Yamo have been up and down throughout the season.
Kassian had his best game for a long time last night, but one game doesn't make him better than Puljujarvi. Archibald and Ryan = ????????? comparison. Except Ryan has been 100x better under Woodcroft than he did under Tippett. Stats do clearly indicate that Puljujarvi linemates generally perform better WITH him than WITHOUT.

I'm not sure why it always has to be a 'physical' department to negate Puljujarvi's style. There's other ways Puljujarvi does to make him an effective teammate and linemate.

Reactions: oilers'72

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I can only agree when it comes to Kane and Hyman. Both Pulju and Yamo have been up and down throughout the season.
Kassian had his best game for a long time last night, but one game doesn't make him better than Puljujarvi. Archibald and Ryan = ????????? comparison. Except Ryan has been 100x better under Woodcroft than he did under Tippett. Stats do clearly indicate that Puljujarvi linemates generally perform better WITH him than WITHOUT.

I'm not sure why it always has to be a 'physical' department to negate Puljujarvi's style. There's other ways Puljujarvi does to make him an effective teammate and linemate.
I tune out once you say that JP and Yamo are on the same level.

Reactions: Macheteops

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I tune out once you say that JP and Yamo are on the same level.

FYI, I'm a huge fan of both. Yams went through a full season and only has a 4 point lead over Puljujarvi with 17 more games played. Its entirely not wrong to say both players had an up and down season.

I'll also take the coach's words over somebody who thinks Kassian is better than Puljujarvi.

FRwqc9FXEAAhtSH

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I thought Pulju played his limited minutes well, did I miss something he screwed up?
I didn't see the game but I'd guess there's an injury. The team is 17-3 in the last 20 games in which Puljujarvi has played 12+ minutes. During the whole season the team is 10-14 in the games he's played 0-12 minutes, 41-22 in the games he's played 12+ minutes.

May well be coincidence as the sample size is small, but the Oilers have won the two games in which he got the highest minutes in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's fullfilled my expectations on the offensive side, but his analytics are top of the team, him playing high minutes seems to be helping the team and his offensive stats look much better when you look at his /60 stats. It may not be what we expected, but for what is lacking in the offensive side he's complimenting in other areas.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Mcd gave him a drop pass and he fell down with NOBODY around. That was the end of his shifts basically. He fell down with NOBODY within 5ft of him. he tripped over his own 2 feet. He was off the ice basically right after that
He, unfortunately, fell down, but from what I saw, he still got a scoring chance on net from that play.

Reactions: nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I didn't see the game but I'd guess there's an injury. The team is 17-3 in the last 20 games in which Puljujarvi has played 12+ minutes. During the whole season the team is 10-14 in the games he's played 0-12 minutes, 41-22 in the games he's played 12+ minutes.

May well be coincidence as the sample size is small, but the Oilers have won the two games in which he got the highest minutes in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's fullfilled my expectations on the offensive side, but his analytics are top of the team, him playing high minutes seems to be helping the team and his offensive stats look much better when you look at his /60 stats. It may not be what we expected, but for what is lacking in the offensive side he's complimenting in other areas.

Could you show his stats last nite? Do they show he should have played more?

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Could you show his stats last nite? Do they show he should have played more?
I'm not going to argue about this. But when comparing his stats to e.g. Yamamoto it's difficult to think he'd deserve such low minutes.

Pulju's points/60 and goals/60 are clearly better with under 1/6th of PP time Yamo's had. His CF% is the 3rd best of the team and 9% better than Yamamoto's (61% vs 52%). Puljujarvi is +1, Yamamoto -3.

However, I really don't mean to complain, just wanted to say I think there may be an injury to explain why he didn't play after the beginning. After all it's not too long ago when he missed several games for an injury.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Pulju is falling down a lot. He has had hip area problems and a surgery. Stiffness and pain in hip area can create problems with balance. I'm afraid his hip condition has taken a step back to worse during the season.

space321

May 11, 2011
everyone was falling a lot last game.

Somehow Jesse manages to look both dangerous and sloppy on one shift. The guy produces results, is really good on the statsheet, but is just so inconsistent and unclutch that it always makes you think he can do more.

Reactions: nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm not going to argue about this. But when comparing his stats to e.g. Yamamoto it's difficult to think he'd deserve such low minutes.

Pulju's points/60 and goals/60 are clearly better with under 1/6th of PP time Yamo's had. His CF% is the 3rd best of the team and 9% better than Yamamoto's (61% vs 52%). Puljujarvi is +1, Yamamoto -3.

However, I really don't mean to complain, just wanted to say I think there may be an injury to explain why he didn't play after the beginning. After all it's not too long ago when he missed several games for an injury.
What were those stats last game? Please break it down in the same context since you can defend those "awesome stats"?

So that "same injury" was non existent 3 games ago when he scored and everyone raved about him, but after a loss..it came back yet you and someone else are refering to an old injury that you are claiming never healed? That's a peculiar injury to say the least

An injury with narrative. That's a first. Medical marvel if you will

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He, unfortunately, fell down, but from what I saw, he still got a scoring chance on net from that play.
Yup, it was weak chance in the grand scheme. Are you seriously trying to credit him falling over his own 2 feet as McD and the winger drew the defenders to them while JP fell down and then shoveled a puck on net?

Woody cut his minutes..you think Woody saw it your way..as a "SCORING CHANCE" in the end?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup, it was weak chance in the grand scheme. Are you seriously trying to credit him falling over his own 2 feet as McD and the winger drew the defenders to them while JP fell down and then shoveled a puck on net?

Woody cut his minutes..you think Woody saw it your way..as a "SCORING CHANCE" in the end?

Idk why you're getting so defensive, good lord lmao. All I literally said was he still managed to get a scoring chance on net despite falling down (since you didn't include the scoring chance in the post I responded to)
Woody also did stupid shit like playing Keith right on OT and benching Bouchard in the 3rd. Him cutting JP minutes doesn't make any of those moves smart.

McDavidKindaFast

Jun 10, 2021
Haven't caught up on every post but I'll never understand how anyone can still defend JP. To be honest, I used to be much more inclined towards what adv stats said about a player, until I saw posts sharing what they said about JP. JP is not what the stats say. JP is useless.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
What were those stats last game? Please break it down in the same context since you can defend those "awesome stats"?

So that "same injury" was non existent 3 games ago when he scored and everyone raved about him, but after a loss..it came back yet you and someone else are refering to an old injury that you are claiming never healed? That's a peculiar injury to say the least

An injury with narrative. That's a first. Medical marvel if you will
I'm usually there with you with using injuries as excuses. When Puljujarvi had a rough 3rd season I wasn't blaming an injury, not even afterwards. This time I do have my suspicions as I think there's a few things to support that. I could be wrong of course.

I don't have the stats from the last game, but in any case it'd be an extremely small sample size. According to the EJ he was average in those minutes and prevented one goal, which ended up going in later on in the same shift.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Still thinking it was curious that Pulju was taken off the ice last game. While he was on the ice Oilers won the scoring changes 6-4.

On five playoff games Pulju has as much points (1+1) as Yamamoto. Jesse has played 54 minutes, while Yamamoto has played 83 minutes. Yamamoto is -3 while Jesse is +1. Yamamoto has 7 SOG, Jesse has 8.

Small and feisty Yamamoto may look better than big and clumsy Puljujärvi, but there's very little statistics to back up Yamamoto's superiority these playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
everyone was falling a lot last game.

Somehow Jesse manages to look both dangerous and sloppy on one shift. The guy produces results, is really good on the statsheet, but is just so inconsistent and unclutch that it always makes you think he can do more.
I don’t see Bobby going on and on about Keith and McDavid each falling down last game...

Reactions: McAsuno and Kaptah2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad