Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Despite not scoring this was easily his best game of the playoffs. Several dangerous opportunities. He even took a penalty for his vicious, stationary "charge" that nearly crippled Foegele.

All fun aside, I don't want to get ahead of anything quite yet but hopefully it really has just been a lack of quality linemates holding him back, specifically Mikheyev.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Best game of the playoffs

Funny how it’s also the first game where he has one legit top6 linemate in lindholm
Yep. By far the best overall game he's had, and it comes with playing with better linemates. What a surprise! If only anyone could have predicted this!

It looked like he had some swagger/confidence during the game and in his post-game comments. That's a good thing.

Like I said before, The Interview yesterday didn't mean jack s***

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Uuu snarky snark. I think controlling play is kinds the key when dealing with a sample size so small.
They weren’t getting goals, chances or high danger chances which matches what I think we’ve all seen on the ice so far - responsible defensively, shots from the perimeter.

That’s pretty good if you’re assessing Teddy Blueger (or if you’re all about that hockey analytics from 2006 life).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Basically just proved that he's been dog fugging all playoffs, and the injury excuse was bs (as if we needed any more evidence)

Far from a great game, but very noticeable difference in effort level. Same thing happened during the lotto line bump earlier in the year. Was coasting all season outside of a stretch of games on the 649. Dude isn't anywhere near good enough to be coasting such huge chunks of any season.
Yesterday kinda confirmed to me that there is some injury there.

He was working harder, and the BS charging call showed that he can still be physical. So the limitation that remained was very obvious: His skating (particularly first few steps) are still very laboured. There is something going on in the lower-body. It's why he was still second guessing whether he can get to 50/50 pucks, he might not just have the acceleration to get there.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
They weren’t getting goals, chances or high danger chances which matches what I think we’ve all seen on the ice so far - responsible defensively, shots from the perimeter.
Okidoki.
That’s pretty good if you’re assessing Teddy Blueger (or if you’re all about that hockey analytics from 2006 life).
Uuh more snarky snarksies.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Yesterday kinda confirmed to me that there is some injury there.

He was working harder, and the BS charging call showed that he can still be physical. So the limitation that remained was very obvious: His skating (particularly first few steps) are still very laboured. There is something going on in the lower-body. It's why he was still second guessing whether he can get to 50/50 pucks, he might not just have the acceleration to get there.

Heard a rumour from a coworker that knows someone in the organization who said there's something wrong with his knee. No idea if any of that is true or not but it would explain his lack of separation speed this postseason.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Heard a rumour from a coworker that knows someone in the organization who said there's something wrong with his knee. No idea if any of that is true or not but it would explain his lack of separation speed this postseason.
Obviously we can't confirm it, but something like that looks clear to me.

He can battle and be physical when he wants to, and he can still shoot (though it's still not the level we've seen from him before), but his first few strides are really laboured and slow. He knows he can't get to loose pucks quickly, which is why he's hesitating.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We should judge players based on playoff performance instead of regular season, wait till the playoffs are over before resigning a player, regular season point totals don’t matter much, hope the GM has realized his mistake. Hypothetically if the Canucks missed the playoffs we’d be clamouring to get Hronek & Hoglander resigned immediately to big contracts and would’ve thought Lindholm & Zadorov were busts. Myers would’ve been driven straight to the airport lol but is proving to be better than anyone of us would’ve ever thought. Playoffs and regular season is a totally different game. With EP I think he’ll be fine needs to mature physically, should be a good contract in a couple years time. Took the Sedins a few years to mature physically before they started taking over, hoping that’s the case with EP as well.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Have to imagine it being pretty serious, surgery off season.... Wait... This sounds just like Mikheyev.... Could play through it....

... Fudge.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm rather forgiving with Pettersson compared to others (and to his credit, the few games/moments he's shown up in so far have been the most critical ones), but this whole "better linemates" excuse/revisionism is absolute bullshit that had nothing to do with his struggles, IMO. He played poorly/listlessly in other games when he was on a stacked powerplay and had terrible shifts with the Lotto line as well.

If we want to pick and choose non-psychological factors that possibly helped him this game, switching to wing and being given a defensively stellar center in Lindholm to take the brunt of defensively responsibility from him may have helped, but even that is less likely than simply just "he tried to improve his mentality after being called out on it and took some baby steps in that direction." It probably would have happened even if he played with Mikheyev today.

We've been through this song and dance in the regular season as well, where people attribute his mental struggles to poor linemates, and that always turns out to have nothing to do with it.

It excuses the lack of production (which was never really the biggest concern), but it doesn't excuse the effort/individual effectiveness and how he has looked on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jyrki

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The same can be said of Miller.

I've never seen someone go from a toxic selfish idiot sabotaging the entire season of the team last year, to the key emotional leader and a solid 2 way player the next. At least not at his mature age.

I can admit that the reason I found it so disgusting is because I cannot stand the type of person he was last year.

Can you admit that your bias comes from you hating the Boeser / EP type cerebral "softer" type of people?
This post is adorable

Reactions: Nomobo

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Have to imagine it being pretty serious, surgery off season.... Wait... This sounds just like Mikheyev.... Could play through it....

... Fudge.
i think Mik needs a full offseason to rebuild his speed, this is not a surprise. It's expected that the year after ACL/MCL surgery is a writeoff

Reactions: racerjoe

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
I think we should ride this new lineup into the ground. Petey needs to get going offensively, and playing as a winger with Lindholm as his centre just makes so much sense. We don't really need Petey at the middle anyways.

1. Miller
2. Lindholm
3. Blueger / Suter

Is a perfectly fine 1-2-3 punch. And Aman can likely do just fine centering a 4th line with some combo of Podkolzin, Lafferty, Hoglander, or Mikheyev.

If we stick PDG back with Boeser and Miller we can trot out:

1. Miller
2. Lindholm
3. Blueger
4. Suter

We have very solid centre depth. Set Petey free as a Top 6 winger for this run.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think we should ride this new lineup into the ground. Petey needs to get going offensively, and playing as a winger with Lindholm as his centre just makes so much sense. We don't really need Petey at the middle anyways.

1. Miller
2. Lindholm
3. Blueger / Suter

Is a perfectly fine 1-2-3 punch. And Aman can likely do just fine centering a 4th line with some combo of Podkolzin, Lafferty, Hoglander, or Mikheyev.

If we stick PDG back with Boeser and Miller we can trot out:

1. Miller
2. Lindholm
3. Blueger
4. Suter

We have very solid centre depth. Set Petey free as a Top 6 winger for this run.
Suter is way too valuable to be on the 4th line. He's a "fixer". He instantly improves the efficacy of any line he's added to by running the right routes defensively, consistently exiting the zone, and providing safety valve passing options. He should pretty much always be shotgun on a scoring line at this point.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sorry if you took it that way, I was just pointing out you can't hide a broken jaw, or something that may need a cast vs broken ribs (I don't think Petey has broken ribs)
Could be digestive issues. Could be immune system issues. The list is endless of what it "could" be.

Whatever it is, it's preventing Petey from being all he can be and putting him with Lafferty and Mikheyev is not going to help.

We all know and have seen what he "can" be.

We also all know he's a Canuck4Life. He wouldn't have signed that extension if he felt otherwise.

And we all know how strong his feelings are because he doesn't hide them.

Reactions: racerjoe

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Our best forward from last year not showing up. Let's be honest. I love Petey as much as the next guy. He hasn't shown up. the criticism (without exception of that Marner comparison) has been fair. Speculations about injuries will arise. Numbers don't lie. march 19 was his last 3 point game, hasn't had a multipoint game since.

BUT !

this kinda sets us apart from Nashville and in this context the Oilers.

we have depth. In the face of adversity, our other leaders have stepped up to the challenge such as Boeser, JT, Lindholm, who are also star players. Lindholm scored 40 just 2 years ago. Myers has become a beast. Zadarov and Soucy doing their thing. Quinn keeping the boys together. Dakota Joshua is a 20 goal scorer. We have depth there, and its not paying off.

Petey is trying. He had a monster game 1 vs the Oilers shutting down Mcdavid in the final minutes.
he assisted on the tying goal in game 4, assisted on the game winner in game 6, and assisted on teh game winner last night fluke or not. so despite his struggles, he's been kinda clutch for us.

but I feel he does need to step up. yes. WE BELIEVE IN YOU PETEY. !!!

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Now I know you read these forums EP, after u did exactly what I asked, albeit it wasn't first shift, I'll take it as a sign! That jump was great lollerskates. Great game my good man, can see you trending up. Nothing gets the adrenaline flowing, and a player into the game, than just wreaking havoc, so game 6, ull def meet nurse in the corner chasing a dump in for sure, pay him back for game 1 hit, ride that tall motherf***er into the boards hard, plant him. Nothing will energize Ur team or fan base more than seeing you just level their biggest guys. If I see this I'll take it as a sign u totally read hf 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Killer Orcas

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Petey’s slumping but he’s playing hard, and we’re a game away from reaching the WCF! Hopefully he starts dominating soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Despite not scoring this was easily his best game of the playoffs. Several dangerous opportunities. He even took a penalty for his vicious, stationary "charge" that nearly crippled Foegele.

All fun aside, I don't want to get ahead of anything quite yet but hopefully it really has just been a lack of quality linemates holding him back, specifically Mikheyev.
Effort was definitely there a good sign indeed. Hopefully he gets hot here as that would be a huge boost to team along with Demko returning hopefully soon !

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
You in the club and this guy smack ya gf ass wyd

Screenshot_20240518_153009_Reddit.jpg

Reactions: Regal

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
there are injuries where it can’t get worse from playing but getting surgery means the season is over.
Nobody is saying this isn’t the case although I don’t think that’s not 100% accurate. Surgery is a corrective measure and in many instances players are able to play because there is a low risk of further injury to the injured area affecting the outcome of the surgery.

But that doesn’t address the question of why the team didn’t rest him if he’s injured. Anything to keep Petey fresher for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad