Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not sure how you took away from that post that I was holding a grudge. I simply stated it seems unlikely that Pulj would revert back to public trade demands

I'm also aware of waviers, I was responding to another poster's desire to punish Puljujarvi in the event he did decide to go that route and why it would be a bad idea for the organization; not whether it was possible.
Maybe I read too much into it. No idea why someone would talk about him doing that with the angst you seemed to unless they were still upset about last time. My bad

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Like Ill admit, I was super harsh on the guy when he first came in [likely due to the hyperbole from fanboys and how he's supposed to replace Hall offensively and couldn't live up to it]. Coupled with him being a douche about deployment when he clearly wasn't ready and took his tail back to Finland, really hard to being a fan of the player.

When he came back and seemingly 'figured it out', gave a lot of Oilers fans hope.

But then now we get this. He's not really doing much of anything regardless of what fancy stats are showing. His forecheck amounts to him just throwing the puck away within 5s and what real boardwork has he shown though? Like its better than his rookie year but that's a low bar to compare.
wow there is a lot of hyperbole to unpack here. I didn’t realize that even his biggest supporters or “fanboys” as you’d say were. Maiming that he’d step right in as the youngest player in pro North American hockey and replace Taylor Hall…maybe your anger should be directed at the GM instead of at Puljujarvi or his fans…

I guess some fans got spoiled by McDavid and Drai and immediately expect PPG seasons from draft picks or they consider them busts. If you set your own unrealistic expectations and they don’t get met, don’t hate the player, or the fans that support that player…

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Trading JP will be a huge mistake unless he's part of a deal for a young starting goalie. He's young and on a cheap contract and can easily be put on any line and be effective. It would be like trading Ryan Strome all over again. A defensively responsible player that's snake bit. If this team needs the extra cap space next season then you trade Kassian, Foegele and Barrie before you trade JP.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
He wouldn’t be in the minors because he’d never clear waivers. You’re really holding onto that grudge hard from him going to Finland for a year eh?
Why is the common refrain is that someone holds a "grudge"?

Reactions: frag2

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Claiming that JP won’t go to the dirty areas is kinda funny. He earns every penny on his pay with his forecheck and board work. Where he struggles is when he has time and space with the puck because his puck skills and offensive hockey IQ are very limited.
Fixed it.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
wow there is a lot of hyperbole to unpack here. I didn’t realize that even his biggest supporters or “fanboys” as you’d say were. Maiming that he’d step right in as the youngest player in pro North American hockey and replace Taylor Hall…maybe your anger should be directed at the GM instead of at Puljujarvi or his fans…

I guess some fans got spoiled by McDavid and Drai and immediately expect PPG seasons from draft picks or they consider them busts. If you set your own unrealistic expectations and they don’t get met, don’t hate the player, or the fans that support that player…
Way to be super dramatic but not surprising coming from you WRT Puljujarvi. He's never at fault in yours and select fans' eyes. Just ultra defensive.

Like I said, I dont really hate the player [though admittedly super irked with his behavior once he bolted back to Finland], I just dont know where he fits on the team long term. I dont think anyone is expecting him to be a ppg player but it'd be nice if a top 5 pick would become a consistent 50-60 pt player.

But you do you

It's like Omark fans in the past, just can't debate in good faith

• Love
Reactions: bobbythebrain

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Difference is Omark was/is bit of a prick tbh. Puljujarvi seems to be a really nice guy, easy to like :)

Last edited:

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
No I wouldn't. That was a stupid, stupid penalty at a crucial time. Yamamoto has become a beloved mascot of the team, but stats clearly show he gets very little done. Just looks good, if you like small and feisty men.
Pretty sure you just described Pulju. He is pretty much just a goofy mascot at this point.

I have a lot more faith in Yamamoto producing going forward. There is a reason why Pulju is getting 5 mins a game just not sure why it took so long

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm surprised how much support Puljujarvi gets.
For all the good things you can say about him, his potential is wasted.
If Puljujarvi actually shot the puck as often as he should, used his body weight half as well as Yamamoto does and made decisions as fast as your average NHLer, i'd easily be a top 10 player in the league.

But that's not who he is.
Whenever I'm paying attention to his play it looks shy and absent minded most of the time.

We really don't need him.
If letting go of Puljujujarvi allows us to somehow hold onto all of the other players on our team (except Kos), then I'm all for trading him away for a 2nd rounder.

Pretty sure you just described Pulju. He is pretty much just a goofy mascot at this point.

I have a lot more faith in Yamamoto producing going forward. There is a reason why Pulju is getting 5 mins a game just not sure why it took so long

Yamamoto should have scored twice as many goals as Puljujarvi this year. There were a billion times he was in a prime scoring spot and he missed the net or something unlucky happened. His luck quickly changed after we got Woodcroft promoted.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I'd love to hear the people wanting to trade Puljujärvi explain how every center's offence increases when JP is with them compared to when he isn't.

I feel like at this point people just hate the way he looks on the ice and so would rather get rid of really good player.

Reminds me of that great scene in Moneyball about Chad Bradford and his weird pitching style and how insanely undervalued he was.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I'd love to hear the people wanting to trade Puljujärvi explain how every center's offence increases when JP is with them compared to when he isn't.

I feel like at this point people just hate the way he looks on the ice and so would rather get rid of really good player.

Reminds me of that great scene in Moneyball about Chad Bradford and his weird pitching style and how insanely undervalued he was.
Yes, its amazing that every coach he plays for doesn't want to play him nearly as much as his acolytes & the stats guys think he should get. Its a real headshaker.
What coach are we on now?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Puljujarvi would win 9 out of 10 board battles this year before he hurt himself scoring a goal. My main concern about him remains already having a history with hip injuries early in his career.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Puljujarvi would win 9 out of 10 board battles this year before he hurt himself scoring a goal. My main concern about him remains already having a history with hip injuries early in his career.

His AHL coach called out his puck protection skills. In the Worlds(i think, some international tourny)prelims, i watched him lose EVERY single board play in the 3rd. No exaggeration. He was then cut from the team, and it's not like team Finland was stacked.

So the injury theory doesn't add up when you've watched his weak board skills for 5 years

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
His english has gotten so much better. I have lots of respect for someone able to learn another language. I woudn't even know how to say Hi, in Finnish.
And It's take longer than others.

He's figured out how to contribute for his lines while still developing his scoring production.

He's not a finished product :sarcasm:, but he is an NHL player. As a fan, I have been happy with him on this team.
I think he should be very proud of what he has accomplished so far in his career, and he's only going to keep getting better.
Considering what he has brought to the table this season, it's been on a valued contract.

He shouldn't worry about all the naysayers. He will be valuable for any team.
I think he's still adjusting here but once he does, his production will probably balanced out to his potential.

Keep doing you, Puljujarvi! Cheering for you!

Reactions: Whyme and McAsuno

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Way to be super dramatic but not surprising coming from you WRT Puljujarvi. He's never at fault in yours and select fans' eyes. Just ultra defensive.

Like I said, I dont really hate the player [though admittedly super irked with his behavior once he bolted back to Finland], I just dont know where he fits on the team long term. I dont think anyone is expecting him to be a ppg player but it'd be nice if a top 5 pick would become a consistent 50-60 pt player.

But you do you

It's like Omark fans in the past, just can't debate in good faith
Your entire post was dramatic hyperbole and you whine about others not debating in good faith hahahaha

Because he’s making up a scenario that hasn’t happened to have something to complain about lol.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I didn't mention anything about the coach?

Obviously not it doesn’t support your narrative. Woodcroft knows what he has in Pulju and that’s why you see him at 5 mins of ice-time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a healthy scratch for game 7

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe I read too much into it. No idea why someone would talk about him doing that with the angst you seemed to unless they were still upset about last time. My bad
Considering I was responding to someone who wanted to destroy JP's career if he decided to go down the trade demand route again, I suspect the "angst" I displayed in entertaining his speculation would be a pale imitation of the hatred Puljujarvi would actually inspire if the proposed scenario came to fruition this offseason.

Reactions: nabob

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Your entire post was dramatic hyperbole and you whine about others not debating in good faith hahahaha

Because he’s making up a scenario that hasn’t happened to have something to complain about lol.

Coming from you, that’s rich. Always antagonistic when someone criticizes Puljujarvi. Again, you do you. Have a nice day

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Coming from you, that’s rich. Always antagonistic when someone criticizes Puljujarvi. Again, you do you. Have a nice day
Only when it’s terrible hyperbole like every post you’ve made in this thread lastly. hell I criticized his puck skills in a post just earlier today. But it appears as usual you’ve chosen ignorance

Reactions: McAsuno

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020

Yamamoto has produced 0.471 PPG this season while Pulju has produced 0.535. All the other stats are way more lopsided to Pulju's favour. A vocal minority is putting way too much weight on Yamamoto's little heater.

I wish there was a possibility to bet which one will have more points in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whyme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad