Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
everyone was falling a lot last game.

Somehow Jesse manages to look both dangerous and sloppy on one shift. The guy produces results, is really good on the statsheet, but is just so inconsistent and unclutch that it always makes you think he can do more.
Reminds me of a hockey tourney when we were like 10 and they gave us those quick touch up sharpeners. I think we all messed our skates up, lol.

My response to dad/coach when he asked why are we falling, "well the ice is slippery"

Reactions: nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don’t see Bobby going on and on about Keith and McDavid each falling down last game...
I called Keith downright horrific in another post. However, neither player fell by trying to skate and pick up a puck at the same time. Kane fell in OT cuz he caught an edge

JP fell cuz his brain couldn't process 2 things at once...skating and hand eye. There's tons of video evidence of him falling not from cutting and losing edges

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I'm usually there with you with using injuries as excuses. When Puljujarvi had a rough 3rd season I wasn't blaming an injury, not even afterwards. This time I do have my suspicions as I think there's a few things to support that. I could be wrong of course.

I don't have the stats from the last game, but in any case it'd be an extremely small sample size. According to the EJ he was average in those minutes and prevented one goal, which ended up going in later on in the same shift.
There is nothing to support he’s injured. Nothing. This is who he is.
unlike Nurse who I am convinced really is injured. For the last 10 games (at least) of the regular season, and all playoffs ( when normally a guy like him would be pounding away in at least the 1st few games) his physicality has disappeared. And if he’s anything, he plays physical when he’s feeling good.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I called Keith downright horrific in another post. However, neither player fell by trying to skate and pick up a puck at the same time. Kane fell in OT cuz he caught an edge

JP fell cuz his brain couldn't process 2 things at once...skating and hand eye. There's tons of video evidence of him falling not from cutting and losing edges

So those guys falls and you’ll find ways to make excuses. I am shocked!!

Reactions: McAsuno

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
There is nothing to support he’s injured. Nothing. This is who he is.
unlike Nurse who I am convinced really is injured. For the last 10 games (at least) of the regular season, and all playoffs ( when normally a guy like him would be pounding away in at least the 1st few games) his physicality has disappeared. And if he’s anything, he plays physical when he’s feeling good.
I'm pretty sure you don't have the same knowledge about hip injuries and surgeries that I do.

I'd like Bobby to comment my last post, because he so elegantly (as is his style) asked for statistics.

Reactions: McAsuno

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like the player and I like the person and I liked the story of reclamation on a team that too often gives away talent for pennies on the dollar. He might well be struggling in part to recovering from covid and injury. However this playoff, I follow the usage of a new age analytics driven detail coach to assess Puljujarvi during the winning season. He's dropped precipitously from first line regular season deployment and minutes. Fighting to win this series and to secure his NHL head coaching job, Jay Woodcroft is revealing who he trusts on the ice.

Puljujarvi is a compelling big body raw package with solid own zone and neutral zone play absolutely excellent at knocking down pucks to create turnovers. So the hand eye coordination is there along with decent hockey IQ with his anticipation to be in right areas. However his work from the offensive blue line in is definitely a work in progress with his puck handling work, shooting and finishing skills, and consistency in North American style play in hard areas. Maybe a confidence issue in this intense second season environment of a team expected to win but limp dick-ing again? Maybe banged up? Possible. But I think it's another development step in a pretty compelling raw package player on a much more realistic development path after an absolute debacle handling as a not ready teenager.

Not as good as some voodoo advance stats might suggest and not a trainwreck that others suggest. Oil shallow organizational right wing depth required two young, developing players Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to jump into top six roles this regular season. No safety net there and we've watched both go through development ups and downs necessitated by this organizational gap. Under playoff intensity Woodcroft's deployment reveals the Bison King is still very much as work in progress. And that's okay! Lots to like in this young player.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure you don't have the same knowledge about hip injuries and surgeries that I do.

I'd like Bobby to comment my last post, because he so elegantly (as is his style) asked for statistics.
IWho knows if I do or dont. But I am pretty sure someone speculating about an injury, to their favy player,with zero evidence to support it, is simply based on hope to excuse his poor/inept play

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
No I compared your reaction to both players falling without an opponent causing the fall.
Pulju has to be the most awkward looking player. I thought skating and his shoot were strengths when he was drafted? What the hell happened?

The kid falls down once a game from a teammate passing him the puck or him attempting a one-timer

If someone values his advance stats the Oilers should be shipping him out to them. His offence is topping out as a 3rd/4th liner. He can’t generate a damn thing for himself offensively

I m hoping this bites me in the ass and he has a game 😅

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Pulju has to be the most awkward looking player. I thought skating and his shoot were strengths when he was drafted? What the hell happened?

The kid falls down once a game from a teammate passing him the puck or him attempting a one-timer

If someone values his advance stats the Oilers should be shipping him out to them. His offence is topping out as a 3rd/4th liner. He can’t generate a damn thing for himself offensively

I m hoping this bites me in the ass and he has a game 😅
His skating isn’t bad he just has trouble with everything at the nhl speed.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Yamamoto is a feisty little player, but the love he's getting from Woodcroft is getting ridiculous.

Yamamoto: 1 goal 1 assist | +/- -2 | 8 penalty minutes | 8 SOG | 17:09 per game
Puljujärvi : 1 goal 1 assist | +/- +1 | 2 penalty minutes | 8 SOG | 9:56 per game

And a stupid, stupid penalty tonight at a crucial moment.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yamamoto is a feisty little player, but the love he's getting from Woodcroft is getting ridiculous.

Puljujärvi : 1 goal 1 assist | +/- +1 | 2 penalty minutes | 8 SOG | 9:56 per game

Yamo has been playing better it is what it is. Jesse has what one goal in 2022 or something. Maybe it was one 5 on 5 goal. He deserves no leash right now. Yamo also pk’s.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol do you not watch the games? Yams has been by far the more effective player.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

You're blaming this dive on Yamo?

ydk87Bv.gif

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
I'm sure if his name was Teemu Yamulanne you would think otherwise.
No I wouldn't. That was a stupid, stupid penalty at a crucial time. Yamamoto has become a beloved mascot of the team, but stats clearly show he gets very little done. Just looks good, if you like small and feisty men.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
No I wouldn't. That was a stupid, stupid penalty at a crucial time. Yamamoto has become a beloved mascot of the team, but stats clearly show he gets very little done. Just looks good, if you like small and feisty men.
Maybe, but that small feisty man doing so little is still doing more than about 9 other forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad