Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part XII | The King of the Bison Now Needs to Conquer Goalies Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No I wouldn't. That was a stupid, stupid penalty at a crucial time. Yamamoto has become a beloved mascot of the team, but stats clearly show he gets very little done. Just looks good, if you like small and feisty men.

I'll disagree on this part. After all the missed penalties the officials ignored on the kings, especially in the 3rd period, Yamamoto's penalty was as soft as they could come. f*** the refs.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Seems that topic is Bobby the "hate" Brain versus the fanboys these days.

Sadly cant see these games but I have to think there is a reason Jesse plays low minutes.
But this low is quite surprice. I hope he would stay in 12min level.

In distant future Jesse will be remembered as a lost jewel that bad staff and McDavid ruined. (its a joke).

Reactions: MessierII

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Exactly. It wasn't the action that drew the call, it was the reaction.

That turn and fall was a masterpiece of garbage diving.

Iafallo would make the Olympic canucks teams of 2010-2012 with his pathetic f***ing dive tonight.
Same with that idiot Grundstrom and the way he dropped after Nuge gave him a weak crosscheck in the back. f***ing losers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still think Jesse is a good to great player in this League. But his game has taken a 180 this season abruptly. This dude better not be tanking to get the trade out of Edmonton he initially wanted. If there’s any whispers of an Aho reunion in the offseason bury this f*** in the minors and throw the key away.

Reactions: yakcity1064

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Still think Jesse is a good to great player in this League. But his game has taken a 180 this season abruptly. This dude better not be tanking to get the trade out of Edmonton he initially wanted. If there’s any whispers of an Aho reunion in the offseason bury this f*** in the minors and throw the key away.
Kind of doubt that's the case. He's been welcomed back with opened arms and there is no Lucic type around to bully him this time around(that we know of).

If he is angling for an out though, I would hope the Oilers would trade him before he has a chance to get his trade demand out and tank his value again. I certainly wouldn't want such a petulant player(which is what he would be at that point) around the org's developing players down in the minors, the Oilers have enough problems without a disgruntled player with no future with the franchise poisoning the well on upcoming players

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
I have said many times that Pulju's hip condition has gotten worse again, which is common with that kind of injuries. Those injuries just aren't usually fixable by surgery, cleaning surgeries only offer temporary help and delay the condition getting worse. Remember Tuukka Rask trying a comeback from the surgery? Hip problems create stiffness and pain, and can really effect all aspects of players performance.

Bobby or some other fine gentleman who has no knowledge about the matter will now enter with LMAO YOU DOCTOR? PULJU HOCKEY IQ LOW! -type of ranting.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kind of doubt that's the case. He's been welcomed back with opened arms and there is no Lucic type around to bully him this time around(that we know of).

If he is angling for an out though, I would hope the Oilers would trade him before he has a chance to get his trade demand out and tank his value again. I certainly wouldn't want such a petulant player(which is what he would be at that point) around the org's developing players down in the minors, the Oilers have enough problems without a disgruntled player with no future with the franchise poisoning the well on upcoming players
He wouldn’t be in the minors because he’d never clear waivers. You’re really holding onto that grudge hard from him going to Finland for a year eh?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No I wouldn't. That was a stupid, stupid penalty at a crucial time. Yamamoto has become a beloved mascot of the team, but stats clearly show he gets very little done. Just looks good, if you like small and feisty men.

And 'stats' seemingly show JP should be a top 5 player in the league [according to twitter analysts] yet here we are. Yamo does things JP just seemingly wont do, namely take a hit to make a play, go to dirty areas.

He's pretty much Paajarvi v2 right now. Granted, JP has shown some willingness to make/take a hit-more than Paajarvi in the past- but just not enough when going gets tough.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
JP needs an offseason to heal and reset. I don't think he's ever played this much hockey before and looks invisible in the playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And 'stats' seemingly show JP should be a top 5 player in the league [according to twitter analysts] yet here we are. Yamo does things JP just seemingly wont do, namely take a hit to make a play, go to dirty areas.

He's pretty much Paajarvi v2 right now. Granted, JP has shown some willingness to make/take a hit-more than Paajarvi in the past- but just not enough when going gets tough.
Claiming that JP won’t go to the dirty areas is kinda funny. He earns every penny on his pay with his forecheck and board work. Where he struggles is when he has time and space with the puck because his puck skills are very limited.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I have said many times that Pulju's hip condition has gotten worse again, which is common with that kind of injuries. Those injuries just aren't usually fixable by surgery, cleaning surgeries only offer temporary help and delay the condition getting worse. Remember Tuukka Rask trying a comeback from the surgery? Hip problems create stiffness and pain, and can really effect all aspects of players performance.

Bobby or some other fine gentleman who has no knowledge about the matter will now enter with LMAO YOU DOCTOR? PULJU HOCKEY IQ LOW! -type of ranting.
So why dance around it. You have said several times now how much you know about the injury. Why be vague.

You either know JP personally and he's personally telling you how bad his hip is hurting his game, or ypu are getting your information from a team doctor

If none of the 2 scenarios above is true, then you are talking out your you know what, and are reaching for every excuse you can

I know what I believe, but perhaps you could clarify. Why do you keep repeating how much you know about JP's hip injury? You could put alot of arguments to bed with posters frustrated with him

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Puljujärvi is the ultimate litmus test of Oilers fans whether they can identity a good hockey player.

A lot of people don't understand loss aversion and hyper focus on mistakes but don't realize Puljujärvi creates way more chances for every forward he plays with and also limits defensive chances naturally because of that increased offensive time through forced turnovers and possession.

He's not a good finisher and probably an average playmaker at best but it really doesn't matter because of the sheer amount of chances he creates for his linemates. Realistically this is actual a huge thing because if he improves these at all, watch out.

This series is such a good example.

Kane and McDavid with JP 5v5 = 4 goals 1 against, 72% xGF
Without JP = 3 goals 2 against. 67% xGF

But once again I predict the Oilers massively undervalue a player and trade him for peanuts.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So why dance around it. You have said several times now how much you know about the injury. Why be vague.

You either know JP personally and he's personally telling you how bad his hip is hurting his game, or ypu are getting your information from a team doctor

If none of the 2 scenarios above is true, then you are talking out your you know what, and are reaching for every excuse you can

I know what I believe, but perhaps you could clarify. Why do you keep repeating how much you know about JP's hip injury? You could put alot of arguments to bed with posters frustrated with him
Hey McLeod fell yesterday crossing the blue line with no one around him. I tagged you in the GDT when it happened but the Oilers were outplaying the Kings and leading 1-0 Do you were predictably absent…crazy how even really good skaters can fall without being touched…

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
demoted to the 3rd line..played 5 minutes

I don't think "fans" interpretation is relevant

Unless we start blaming coach #4 yet again for his struggles

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like Puljujarvi, really want him to succeed and hope it's with the Oilers. That said, my feeling is that he's not going to be here next season. They're going to want to keep Kane (rightfully so), and Puljujarvi just hasn't had it going the last half of the season, and now the playoffs. I think he's a good player, someone you definitely want in your middle-six, but I think he's going to ask for too much money and they'll move him.

I also think they're going to sign that Russian kid and insert him into Puljujarvi's spot for a lower cap hit.

That said, I hope Puljujarvi has a big game 7 and rest of the playoffs, because I really want him to stick here and I love it when he's scoring and playing with confidence.

Reactions: frag2 and Barrsy

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

The bolded is comical. You know this how?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Claiming that JP won’t go to the dirty areas is kinda funny. He earns every penny on his pay with his forecheck and board work. Where he struggles is when he has time and space with the puck because his puck skills are very limited.

Like Ill admit, I was super harsh on the guy when he first came in [likely due to the hyperbole from fanboys and how he's supposed to replace Hall offensively and couldn't live up to it]. Coupled with him being a douche about deployment when he clearly wasn't ready and took his tail back to Finland, really hard to being a fan of the player.

When he came back and seemingly 'figured it out', gave a lot of Oilers fans hope.

But then now we get this. He's not really doing much of anything regardless of what fancy stats are showing. His forecheck amounts to him just throwing the puck away within 5s and what real boardwork has he shown though? Like its better than his rookie year but that's a low bar to compare.

Puljujärvi is the ultimate litmus test of Oilers fans whether they can identity a good hockey player.

A lot of people don't understand loss aversion and hyper focus on mistakes but don't realize Puljujärvi creates way more chances for every forward he plays with and also limits defensive chances naturally because of that increased offensive time through forced turnovers and possession.

He's not a good finisher and probably an average playmaker at best but it really doesn't matter because of the sheer amount of chances he creates for his linemates. Realistically this is actual a huge thing because if he improves these at all, watch out.

This series is such a good example.

Kane and McDavid with JP 5v5 = 4 goals 1 against, 72% xGF
Without JP = 3 goals 2 against. 67% xGF

But once again I predict the Oilers massively undervalue a player and trade him for peanuts.

How much do you pay a guy that just looks good on 'fancy stats' but doesn't really do much on the scoresheet? At the end of the day, $ goes to the players than generate offense when youre a forward.

I like Puljujarvi, really want him to succeed and hope it's with the Oilers. That said, my feeling is that he's not going to be here next season. They're going to want to keep Kane (rightfully so), and Puljujarvi just hasn't had it going the last half of the season, and now the playoffs. I think he's a good player, someone you definitely want in your middle-six, but I think he's going to ask for too much money and they'll move him.

I also think they're going to sign that Russian kid and insert him into Puljujarvi's spot for a lower cap hit.

That said, I hope Puljujarvi has a big game 7 and rest of the playoffs, because I really want him to stick here and I love it when he's scoring and playing with confidence.

The only way we keep JP IMO is low AAV bridge deal and theres mutual agreement the Oilers will be super patient and Lehto wont be a bitch to the media about it.

Either that or Kane bails/Yamo contract difficult but really, it's difficult seeing JP come back next year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
With the re-unification of McDrai, I'm more than fine with JP on the 3/4 lines.
The problem with McDrai has always been the other 3 lines being compeltely carved.

Even with his offense completely dried up, his defense is still pretty good. He makes his line much less of a liability to be scored against, and that's all we need out of our bottom 6.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Like Ill admit, I was super harsh on the guy when he first came in [likely due to the hyperbole from fanboys and how he's supposed to replace Hall offensively and couldn't live up to it]. Coupled with him being a douche about deployment when he clearly wasn't ready and took his tail back to Finland, really hard to being a fan of the player.

When he came back and seemingly 'figured it out', gave a lot of Oilers fans hope.

But then now we get this. He's not really doing much of anything regardless of what fancy stats are showing. His forecheck amounts to him just throwing the puck away within 5s and what real boardwork has he shown though? Like its better than his rookie year but that's a low bar to compare.

How much do you pay a guy that just looks good on 'fancy stats' but doesn't really do much on the scoresheet? At the end of the day, $ goes to the players than generate offense when youre a forward.

The only way we keep JP IMO is low AAV bridge deal and theres mutual agreement the Oilers will be super patient and Lehto wont be a bitch to the media about it.

Either that or Kane bails/Yamo contract difficult but really, it's difficult seeing JP come back next year.
This is just it. Sure the way he is playing adds value to a club, but you actually have to put up points to get the cash.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He wouldn’t be in the minors because he’d never clear waivers. You’re really holding onto that grudge hard from him going to Finland for a year eh?
Not sure how you took away from that post that I was holding a grudge. I simply stated it seems unlikely that Pulj would revert back to public trade demands

I'm also aware of waviers, I was responding to another poster's desire to punish Puljujarvi in the event he did decide to go that route and why it would be a bad idea for the organization; not whether it was possible.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011

That's what's so fantastic about Puljujärvi is he will never be paid what he is truly worth because he drives offence but doesn't get the points himself. It's actually the perfect player to keep under contract for the Oilers.

I will say, the Oilers are probably too stupid to realize this because I'm not sure they are able to look at anything beyond what hockey db provides them.

When McDavid and JP were on this ice this year the Oilers scored 3.38 goals every 60 minutes of 5v5 time. Without JP, 3.23.

So the goals are still happening. Even better, GA went from 2.9 to 1.49.

Imagine having one of the best 5v5 forward pairs in the league, but not even realizing it. If you want see something even crazier the GF and GA per 60 with Kane McDavid and JP on the ice together is more than +3 per 60. Crazy unsustainable but the xGF is great too.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

So his career is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad