Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
The opinions of people on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

JR and KT didn't just work for the same company, they worked with each other. If anyone of you said something like this, you would be removed from your respective jobs. Most likely fired, but in the off chance that your employer lets it slide, you're still getting moved somewhere else so that your female colleague never has to see/speak to you ever again. How can anyone possibly think it's fair to expect KT to ever have to work with him again?

In this case, there was nowhere else to put JR given the nature of the job. Add that fact to the public outrage, and you get this result. No it's not because he got fired that we live in a sad world. We live in a sad world because of roughly 50% of the people ITT that are ignorant to why he was rightfully fired :help:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
And yet Pierre McGuire still has a job - there's no justice in this world.
**** NBC.
Pierre Mcguire is a universal treasure. Leave him alone.
The opinions of people on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

JR and KT didn't just work for the same company, they worked with each other. If anyone of you said something like this, you would be removed from your respective jobs. Most likely fired, but in the off chance that your employer lets it slide, you're still getting moved somewhere else so that your female colleague never has to see/speak to you ever again. How can anyone possibly think it's fair to expect KT to ever have to work with him again?

In this case, there was nowhere else to put JR given the nature of the job. Add that fact to the public outrage, and you get this result. No it's not because he got fired that we live in a sad world. We live in a sad world because of roughly 50% of the people ITT that are ignorant to why he was rightfully fired :help:
Dude, both JR and KT admitted that they're good friends. What is this "How can anyone possibly think it's fair to expect KT to ever have to work with him again?" nonsense lol?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that would have been a completely different situation and then their actions could have been somewhat justified. But thats not the case so let's not pretend like it is.

NBC and the NHL rely on revenue from customers. Advertisers of both the network and the league will quickly demand action. This will include pressure from NBC advertisers on other programs. When you are in that business you cant act like JR did. You just cant

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Ah the old rug sweep, nothing says "We here at NBC completely understand the modern culture surrounding sexual harassment." like "Let us never speak of it again.". I wonder if Tappen even murmured a peep in support of her 'friend'?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Pretty thin stuff, he could probably file a wrongful dismissal grievance lawsuit, depends how strict employment laws are in I assume New York. Pretty sure you couldn't fire someone just for that here in Quebec. NBC may have to pay him off but I guess they had to balance that possible expensive lawsuit with reputational risk of just slapping him on the wrist after all these recent Hollywood/media sex scandals, it might've gained a lot of traction as a story if they let him off with a warning (doubtful but they are running scared).

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
He did take responsibility for his actions and apologized for it.

We'll have to disagree then on whether those comments taken in full context warrant him losing his job versus facing a suspension.
I think the point is that it's not up to us. I'm not a big fan of JR as a broadcaster, but I do feel for him here. He's been on the air forever and hasn't said anything worth losing his job over, but that doesn't mean what he said doesn't have a negative impact on his work place. I don't think for a second he's sexist or whatever, but that doesn't mean he didn't put NBC in this situation. They get to decide if he's worth employing and, regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels, it's their money on the line.

Saying NBC can't fire JR when he says things that put them in a bad situation is like saying NBC doesn't have the right to run their own business. I don't know how that kind of world would work.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
that would have been a completely different situation and then their actions could have been somewhat justified. But thats not the case so let's not pretend like it is.

That's easy for us to say. It's not our company on the line.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dunno. It obviously made her uncomfortable. JR is an NBC employee. He made public comments about a co-worker. Said co-worker had an opportunity to defend him, didn't and proceeded to condemn him. Doesn't seem that weird to me.
I get that but they are also friends on a private vacation, this wasnt a workplace related incident either. Getting a little uncomfortable because he told that story and joked around a little, is at the end of the day a pretty minor thing. You say sorry, it was insensitive, i shouldnt have done it and you move on.
We all learn from it and we move on and we all go in the same direction.

I just think the cancel culture on relatively minor incidents could be handled in a much smarter way, so we can end up in a situation where everyone can understand why its best to not say certain things instead of just throwing people off the bus. Its doesnt solve the problem, it creates resentment and divides society even more. It was a bad joke/story and he was a little insensitive.... Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Can't say I'm surprised.

The NHL/NBC are trying to sway it's fanbase away from anyone with an ounce of testosterone or has ever been anything other than perfect in their entire lives.

I used to subscribe to Sportsnet and NHL Centre Ice. Now it's stream and stream only and this nonsense is a perfect example of why.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Pierre Mcguire is a universal treasure. Leave him alone.

Dude, both JR and KT admitted that they're good friends. What is this "How can anyone possibly think it's fair to expect KT to ever have to work with him again?" nonsense lol?

And if they weren't friends and just co-workers ?
Guess what, what is acceptable among friends isn't what drives a HR policy about employee behavior.
Their relationship outside the confines of NBC is their business but NBC has a lot of female employees and leaving JR in his position could be seen as creating a hostile work environment. Seeing as NBC would be saying that a "popular" tv personality can wax nostalgic about banging his female co-workers and its OK a lot of people would probably have an issue with that

If JR had been talking about a woman NOT his co-worker he might have gotten a talking to, but he decided to speak about a co-worker, another employee of NBC and they certainly are going to have a very clearly defined HR policy that any deviation from is going to invite lawyers and calls of special treatment.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Pretty thin stuff, he could probably file a wrongful dismissal grievance lawsuit, depends how strict employment laws are in I assume New York. Pretty sure you couldn't fire someone just for that here in Quebec. NBC may have to pay him off but I guess they had to balance that possible expensive lawsuit with reputational risk of just slapping him on the wrist after all these recent Hollywood/media sex scandals, it might've gained a lot of traction as a story if they let him off with a warning (doubtful but they are running scared).
In America, anyone can sue anyone for anything, but I think that this would be a tough case for JR to win, especially in this day and age. There are also very likely a number of clauses about conduct that he violated with his comments

As far as his future,
If you follow baseball, Harold Reynolds might be a likely parallel . He was fired by Fox after sexual harassment claims and slide over to the MLB Network after a hiatus. I think we might see the same thing happen with JR

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Can't say I'm surprised.

The NHL/NBC are trying to sway it's fanbase away from anyone with an ounce of testosterone or has ever been anything other than perfect in their entire lives.

JR is what like 50+ years old ? He isnt some dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

I get guys don't want to lose their jobs because they say something dumb. Pretty easy solution to that. Keep your mouth shut on topics of sex and politics at the office and dont do interviews where you discuss your private sex wants especially if they involve people you work with

if JR said he wanted to bang Pierre and was serious, I suspect the whats the big deal folks would be singing a different tune.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Taking all politics out of it, having Roenick and Tappen continue to work together would just make an awkward work place and you can't exactly justify firing Tappen...

Reactions: Bartcal

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Can't say I'm surprised.

I used to subscribe to Sportsnet and NHL Centre Ice. Now it's stream and stream only and this nonsense is a perfect example of why.
LOL are you kidding me? Have you not been paying attention to what has been going on in the world for the past few years since "Me too"?

I cued this up the exact spot, but the NHL took a bunch of heat for this commercial back at the end of the lockout (almost 15 years ago) as sexist fort he actions of the woman in the commercial

and you really think in this day and age that JRs comments aren't going to lead to consequences?
wow

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I get that but they are also friends on a private vacation, this wasnt a workplace related incident either. Getting a little uncomfortable because he told that story and joked around a little, is at the end of the day a pretty minor thing. You say sorry, it was insensitive, i shouldnt have done it and you move on.

I just think the cancel culture on relatively minor incidents could be handled in a much smarter way, so we can end up in a situation where everyone can understand why its best to not say certain things instead of just throwing people off the bus. Its doesnt solve the problem, it creates resentment and divides society even more. It was a bad joke/story and he was a little insensitive.... Nothing more, nothing less.

Make no mistake, I abhor cancel culture. I just don't think this is it and by discussing something that is sexual in nature and about one of your co-workers (friends or not) PUBLICLY, I think it is absolutely a workplace incident. :dunno: I guess we have to agree to disagree.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

No no no. In today's world if you mess up once you should be publically shamed, labeled human trash, fired from your job and better not be seen in public again.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

You absolutely can.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
JR is what like 50+ years old ? He isnt some dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

I get guys don't want to lose their jobs because they say something dumb. Pretty easy solution to that. Keep your mouth shut on topics of sex and politics at the office and dont do interviews where you discuss your private sex wants especially if they involve people you work with

if JR said he wanted to bang Pierre and was serious, I suspect the whats the big deal folks would be singing a different tune.
Oh JR messed up. I think that's obvious.

But does the result of everyone and anyone messing up in the 21st century have to face a bunch of miserable losers crying on Twitter and lose their jobs because of it?

How about NBC says, "Hey Jeremy, don't ever do anything like that again, it was stupid and reflects badly on us"?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't care for Roenick, but NBC's decision feel a bit harsh to a certain extent.

However, the key here is that Roenick's job isn't quite like any other job.

It was a privilege, an opportunity.

Roenick made a VERY stupid and unncessary comment. But he didn't, I dunno, said he supported Nick Fuentes. I think this is a case where a 2nd chance would've easily been justified, if Tappen and Roenick could still work together (more like, if Tappen had no issue with it). Though it's a pretty big "If", and it's not like she couldn't have felt it was a bit of a loaded question if she was asked about it.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think the point is that it's not up to us. I'm not a big fan of JR as a broadcaster, but I do feel for him here. He's been on the air forever and hasn't said anything worth losing his job over, but that doesn't mean what he said doesn't have a negative impact on his work place. I don't think for a second he's sexist or whatever, but that doesn't mean he didn't put NBC in this situation. They get to decide if he's worth employing and, regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels, it's their money on the line.

Saying NBC can't fire JR when he says things that put them in a bad situation is like saying NBC doesn't have the right to run their own business. I don't know how that kind of world would work.

Of course it's not up to us and nobody is saying that NBC can't make the decision to fire him. How did you interpret anything I wrote as saying NBC can't fire him? They can but I just happen to disagree with that decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad