Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
[MOD]

On the real, of course this is what was going to happen, his comments were beyond unprofessional and Roenick and his lukewarm halfbaked "analysis" is utterly replaceable

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Going on a podcast that thousands of individuals listen to and saying on said podcast that you'd love to have a 3-way with a co-worker is absolutely grounds for termination, especially when that co-worker has stated she's not happy about the comments.

Firing him isn't because NBC wanted to be "PC", it's because what he did was a very public form of sexual harassment.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think firing him is excessive. He said something stupid in public, I think after years and years of working for NBC the guy should be allowed a mistake or two.

Obviously can't say the things he did, it's not fair to Tappen especially

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Great. Replace him with another retired player that doesn't go on podcasts and talk about which of his coworkers he wants to sleep with and we're back where we started.

Reactions: Spoilers

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
If you think any corporation the size of NBC makes a move like this for reasons other than, 1) Money, 2) PR/Optics, 3) Money.... you're a fool.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
I’ve always disliked JR, so this is pretty good news.
Overall I don’t think what he said meant he has to be fired, but I’m not at all shocked they would want to distance themselves from someone like him.
Goodbye Roenick, I won’t miss ya.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I fast forward through all NBC studio stuff stopping only at Bob McKenzie and the start of the next period

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Agreed.

What he said was wildly inappropriate, completely unprofessional, and I completely support NBC suspending him for it.

That being said I could've seen a path where he comes back after the all-star break, makes a quick on-air apology, and resumes his duties. He's not in Matt Lauer territory or anything.

At the same time though, NBCUniversal is a massive corporation that can't really afford to screw around with stuff like this anymore. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And it's not like Roenick is irreplaceable as a hockey commentator.

What gets me is all the people who are surprised by this. NBC knew what they were getting. As I've said before, when he played for the Kings Hugh Hefner gave him the keys to the Playboy mansion. Ummm hello?

That said, Roenick knows well enough not to say what he said when the mic is on. That's his own fault.

He'll get another gig soon. NBC's loss will be someone else's gain.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It really does. I don't think Tappen was throwing her colleague and friend under the bus for any of the reasons I have seen so far in this thread.

If this was something that was out of context or whatever, Tappen almost assuredly would have come to his defense. Even as a long time fan of JR, the fact that Tappen not only didn't defend him, but went as far as to condemn his comments, tells me everything I need to know about this situation.
All of it is kind of weird imo...
He talked about them being bestfriends, Tappen went on a trip with him and his wife and then he told the story about how a guy approached him and asked if he was there with two women and he said yes just to play along. Then he kept going on about it and said who wouldnt have wanted to be with Kathryn Tappen if you could.

Its weird but he basically told a real life story and it seemed like Tappen was fine with him joking about it when it happened. Context is everything. Him telling that story and saying what he said is not the same as if he just said that he wanted to get with person X from work (that he only has a work relationship with). That i could understand he would get in trouble for. If you dont actually listen to the interview and get the context of their friendship and them being on vacation together etc it looks much worse than it actually was. It was a "funny" story that you obviously dont tell live on NBC but i think its pretty harsh to fire him for it.

His comments about Patrick Sharp and how good looking he is was worse because they dont have that same private relationship, but that will obviously not be the focus because he isnt a woman.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All of it is kind of weird imo...
He talked about them being bestfriends, Tappen went on a trip with him and his wife and then he told the story about how a guy approached him and asked if he was there with two women and he said yes just to play along. Then he kept going on about it and said who wouldnt have wanted to be with Kathryn Tappen if you could.

Its weird but he basically told a real life story and it seemed like Tappen was fine with him joking about it when it happened. Context is everything. Him telling that story and saying what he said is not the same as if he just said that he wanted to get with person X from work (that he only has a work relationship with). That i could understand he would get in trouble for. If you dont actually listen to the interview and get the context of their friendship and them being on vacation together etc it looks much worse than it actually was. It was a "funny" story that you obviously dont tell live on NBC but i think its pretty harsh to fire him for it.

His comments about Patrick Sharp and how good looking he is was worse because they dont have that same private relationship, but that will obviously not be the focus because he isnt a woman.

I dunno. It obviously made her uncomfortable. JR is an NBC employee. He made public comments about a co-worker. Said co-worker had an opportunity to defend him, didn't and proceeded to condemn him. Doesn't seem that weird to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad