Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I'm surprised it took this long for him to say something like this to cause him getting fired.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The opinions of people on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

JR and KT didn't just work for the same company, they worked with each other. If anyone of you said something like this, you would be removed from your respective jobs. Most likely fired, but in the off chance that your employer lets it slide, you're still getting moved somewhere else so that your female colleague never has to see/speak to you ever again. How can anyone possibly think it's fair to expect KT to ever have to work with him again?

In this case, there was nowhere else to put JR given the nature of the job. Add that fact to the public outrage, and you get this result. No it's not because he got fired that we live in a sad world. We live in a sad world because of roughly 50% of the people ITT that are ignorant to why he was rightfully fired :help:
You are missing the context here though. The whole story was about something that happened on a private vacation with Tappen, JR and JRs wife and he went a little far when he told they story. He also said they are like bestfriends privately....

If it was a coworker he only knew from work and had no private relationship with i fully agree with you that joking about a 3way with her is pretty bad behavior and very unprofessional.
It was insensitive but the context of the story is lost on so many people here. And the context makes what he said not close to as bad. Insensitive to say publicly? Yes, but its not close to bad as you make it out to be.

What he said about Sharp was actually worse because they dont have the same private relationship.

Roenick made comments on the Dec. 19 episode of the popular hockey podcast in which he described a vacation he took with Tappen and his wife to Portugal, where on multiple occasions people asked if the three of them were together and described joking with them about engaging in group sex.
“I play it off like we’re all going to bed together every night, the three of us. If it really came to fruition, that would really be good, but it’s never going to happen.” Roenick said.
Later in the episode, Roenick spoke about Sharp’s physical appearance as well.
“He is so beautiful, I’d have to think about it if he asked me,” the 49-year-old said. “I wouldn’t say no right away.”
Jeremy Roenick dismissed by NBC for inappropriate comments: 'Very disappointed and angry'

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think the point is that it's not up to us. I'm not a big fan of JR as a broadcaster, but I do feel for him here. He's been on the air forever and hasn't said anything worth losing his job over, but that doesn't mean what he said doesn't have a negative impact on his work place. I don't think for a second he's sexist or whatever, but that doesn't mean he didn't put NBC in this situation. They get to decide if he's worth employing and, regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels, it's their money on the line.

Saying NBC can't fire JR when he says things that put them in a bad situation is like saying NBC doesn't have the right to run their own business. I don't know how that kind of world would work.

Of course it's not up to us and nobody is saying that NBC can't make the decision to fire him. How did you interpret anything I wrote as saying NBC can't fire him? They can but I just happen to disagree with that decision.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
LOL at people getting triggered by NBC. Did you even listen to the podcast? Do you know how business works? He sounded like a 12 year old kid trying to impress his friends.. "tits and ass everywhere". Anyone with an IQ greater than 80 would know you can't say shit like that publicly when you work for one of the biggest public TV stations...

He didn't get fired for the substance of his statements, he got fired because his statements could potentially affect profits. NBC isn't having a 'woke' moment here, it'd be better described as a greedy moment. In a climate where those statements don't affect profit, NBC would've literally cared less what he said.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think the point is that it's not up to us. I'm not a big fan of JR as a broadcaster, but I do feel for him here. He's been on the air forever and hasn't said anything worth losing his job over, but that doesn't mean what he said doesn't have a negative impact on his work place. I don't think for a second he's sexist or whatever, but that doesn't mean he didn't put NBC in this situation. They get to decide if he's worth employing and, regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels, it's their money on the line.

Saying NBC can't fire JR when he says things that put them in a bad situation is like saying NBC doesn't have the right to run their own business. I don't know how that kind of world would work.

You're completely leaving out Tappen. No employer would ever put her in a situation where she had to work with him again.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't care for Roenick, but NBC's decision feel a bit harsh to a certain extent.

However, the key here is that Roenick's job isn't quite like any other job.

It was a privilege, an opportunity.

Roenick made a VERY stupid and unncessary comment. But he didn't, I dunno, said he supported Nick Fuentes. I think this is a case where a 2nd chance would've easily been justified, if Tappen and Roenick could still work together (more like, if Tappen had no issue with it). Though it's a pretty big "If", and it's not like she couldn't have felt it was a bit of a loaded question if she was asked about it.
He will likely get a second chance, but it will be for NHL Network or maybe if ESPN or another network carried some games, Olympics (down the road) or something else

Last edited:

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
You are missing the context here though. The whole story was about something that happened on a private vacation with Tappen, JR and JRs wife and he went a little far when he told they story. He also said they are like bestfriends privately....

If it was a coworker he only knew from work and had no private relationship with i fully agree with you that joking about a 3way with her is pretty bad behavior and very unprofessional.
It was insensitive but the context of the story is lost on so many people here. And the context makes what he said not close to as bad. Insensitive to say publicly? Yes, but its not close to bad as you make it out to be.

What he said about Sharp was actually worse because they dont have the same private relationship.

Roenick made comments on the Dec. 19 episode of the popular hockey podcast in which he described a vacation he took with Tappen and his wife to Portugal, where on multiple occasions people asked if the three of them were together and described joking with them about engaging in group sex.
“I play it off like we’re all going to bed together every night, the three of us. If it really came to fruition, that would really be good, but it’s never going to happen.” Roenick said.
Later in the episode, Roenick spoke about Sharp’s physical appearance as well.
“He is so beautiful, I’d have to think about it if he asked me,” the 49-year-old said. “I wouldn’t say no right away.”
Jeremy Roenick dismissed by NBC for inappropriate comments: 'Very disappointed and angry'
I see your point, but I still don't agree with it. It doesn't matter how tight knit a relationship you have with someone, you can still cause an uncomfortable environment by saying something inappropriate. Tappen did nothing to create this uncomfortable environment. JR did.

And it doesn't matter that this happened outside of work. A colleague of mine was fired for sexual harassment of a coworker at a bar. You are an extension of your employer, and you are expected to represent yourself in respectful manner both in and out of the office. People get fired all the time for being racist outside of work to non-coworkers. This incident wasn't as bad as some of those racist examples I'm referencing, but it did involve a coworker that would cause an environment that Tappen should not be subject to having to work in.

They can say publicly that they're still friends all they want (although I still haven't seen Tappen say that without also condemning JR's comments in the same paragraph). But if anyone thinks their personal relationship isn't going to change as a result of this, at least in the short term, they're kidding themselves.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

I understand from her point of view and she sounds like a good friend to have, for her to still think of him as a friend proves that. Even she knows it's a joke and knowing him personally, I'm sure she would have been fine if the joke was private. But there is a code of conduct amongst friends: You never EVER humiliate your friend in public even if a joke.

That said, I don't mind JR. I accept him for who he is. Hope in this he learned from this (the boundaries of friendship) and finds work elsewhere.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Before you applaud NBC for their wokeness, Just remember NBC kept and systematically protected high profile sexual predators and alleged serial rapists Harvey Weinstein and Matt Lauer for decades.

But if they’re no longer protecting people like that, isn’t that be a good thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad