Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Agreed.

What he said was wildly inappropriate, completely unprofessional, and I completely support NBC suspending him for it.

That being said I could've seen a path where he comes back after the all-star break, makes a quick on-air apology, and resumes his duties. He's not in Matt Lauer territory or anything.

At the same time though, NBCUniversal is a massive corporation that can't really afford to screw around with stuff like this anymore. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And it's not like Roenick is irreplaceable as a hockey commentator.

Yea, After the Lauer fall out/scandal NBC had 0 choice here. Bad enough they covered up his actions, and even worse for them now is that Apple essentially made a TV show about it (The Morning Show).

Roenick is an absolute idiot for those comments, I mean he said them publicly and on a very popular podcast. There is no excuse for them but he could at least have a defence if he had said them privately to somebody who then leaked it to the media.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He just really wanted to bang his hot co-host. He'll get hired somewhere else. JR, next time keep your dirty thoughts to yourself. People don't want you to be honest about what you're thinking, they prefer you to do it behind the scenes and be sneaky so it stays hidden behind cameras.

Come to SportsNet.

I doubt that Sportsnet wants him. They fired Greg Zaun for sexual harassment — behind the scenes.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Ill miss jr some BUT I look forward to seeing whatever crazy stuff hes definitely getting into next.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Lauer fallout has nothing to do with this. One was done in public and one was done in private. Roenick has no defense, NBC's grievance with him is publicly documented.

A lot of Lauer's problems are private. I don't recall if anyone taped him or videotaped his exploits but NBC's not going to do much for fear of Lauer opening his mouth about what he's seen in his 20 years of working there. There is no NDA and I'm sure Lauer could wreck a majority of higher-up's careers with what he's seen and heard. He probably received a ton after he was fired, which is why he exited so quickly and without incident (or interview)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He just really wanted to bang his hot co-host. He'll get hired somewhere else. JR, next time keep your dirty thoughts to yourself. People don't want you to be honest about what you're thinking, they prefer you to do it behind the scenes and be sneaky so it stays hidden behind cameras.

Come to SportsNet.

Rogers fired Don Cherry for comments he made so absolute 0 chance they take a chance on JR.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
OK do I have this straight:

- Network hires guy because he says outrageous things.

- Guy says outrageous thing.

-Network fires guy they specifically hired to say outrageous things for saying outrageous thing.

Makes perfect sense to me.

giphy.gif

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, you don't.
Yes I do. The ENTIRE reason Roenick is such a popular media personality is the same reason Charles Barkley is so popular: saying outrageous and controversial things. That is their entire gimmick and MO. So when they cross the line (which everyone knew would happen) I find it hilarious that the people who hired them are shocked that this happened.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Yes I do. The ENTIRE reason Roenick is such a popular media personality is the same reason Charles Barkley is so popular: saying outrageous and controversial things. That is their entire gimmick and MO. So when they cross the line (which everyone knew would happen) I find it hilarious that the people who hired them are shocked that this happened.
You can say outrageous things without being sexually inappropriate or offensive, it's very easy.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I shouldn't be, but I'm constantly blown away by the things people here think is acceptable.

It's like some of you have never worked a job with a Human Resources department.

It's not acceptable … that being said I'm blow away about how sensitive people have become since the internet shrunk the world.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Whatever.

He wasn't a great analyst but I've met JR a few times and he's legitimately a good guy, unlike most people on TV. So I do feel bad for him that he lost his job which probably paid pretty well and something he enjoyed.

What he said was awkward and inappropriate but not something he should have lost his job over but is what it is.

This is the correct answer. He shouldn't have lost his job over this. It's not like NBC is an ethical company to begin with. Screw them. Hope JR finds a new gig soon and NBC can find a bland guy in a suit with no personality to replace JR.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not acceptable … that being said I'm blow away about how sensitive people have become since the internet shrunk the world.

It has nothing to do with being sensitive. You haven't been able to make public comments like that for years.

I'm a grunt, but I work for a massive company. I know how HR handles these things. Part of my employment package was acknowledging that any public comments I make that could bring the company into disrepute will not be tolerated.

JR did just that and is now suffering the consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad