Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Whatever.

He wasn't a great analyst but I've met JR a few times and he's legitimately a good guy, unlike most people on TV. So I do feel bad for him that he lost his job which probably paid pretty well and something he enjoyed.

What he said was awkward and inappropriate but not something he should have lost his job over but is what it is.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Your point still stands but NBC is a part of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast.

Disney owns ABC, ESPN (80% ownership), FX, Hulu, and National Geographic.

Not trying to nitpick it's always a bit staggering to remember just how big these media companies are.
Oh snap you're right. Thank you.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
giphy.gif

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Whatever.

He wasn't a great analyst but I've met JR a few times and he's legitimately a good guy, unlike most people on TV. So I do feel bad for him that he lost his job which probably paid pretty well and something he enjoyed.

What he said was awkward and inappropriate but not something he should have lost his job over but is what it is.

Its absolutely something he should lose his job over.

Why should Tappen have to work with him after this?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Agreed.

What he said was wildly inappropriate, completely unprofessional, and I completely support NBC suspending him for it.

That being said I could've seen a path where he comes back after the all-star break, makes a quick on-air apology, and resumes his duties. He's not in Matt Lauer territory or anything.

At the same time though, NBCUniversal is a massive corporation that can't really afford to screw around with stuff like this anymore. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And it's not like Roenick is irreplaceable as a hockey commentator.

All you need is one news article reporting allegations that NBC executives are lenient on inappropriate behavior towards female employees, a resultant stock drop, and suddenly you're in court defending a multimillion dollar securities class action (whether meritorious or not). Jeremy Roenick is not worth that headache.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is like when I thought Loubardias should have been fired for saying "you people" to Pat Steinberg on-air. But he didn't! Where's the justice in that??

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I mean, they are still protecting Lauer from investigations...

It's legal pretense to ditch the guy. JR was pretty meh as a personality (as is most every former hockey player or coach, unfortunately) and they probably were ready to move on anyway. If he was a brand, like Lauer, they'd stand by him. Just like Fox News was more than happy to write the checks for O'reilly's numerous settlements until the noise got too loud. That's the way it works. If you're a B level guy and this stuff happens, it's a contract breaker that gives the company the opportunity to cut ties and go for someone fresh/young/whatever.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Man you have to be pretty cocky and fairly stupid to not be fired at your job for being incompetent at it for so long and then screw it up by being casually sexist on a podcast.

Reactions: Bartcal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad