Jared Spurgeon named Captain

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
To me it's a lot about courage, a leader I'd follow in battle. I wouldn't trust Spurgeon once the bullets start flying, but I'll give him a chance...

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
wtf are you even talking about. Literally the only thing you know and care about the Wild is Zuccerllo is being overpaid here

Calm down, I'm talking about the new team captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I don't think it makes much of a difference. I would've liked to see rotating captaincy this year, since it'll be all corrupt and so many shuffling pieces.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's pretty narrow sighted for the people thinking that there can be only one type of leader. Some leaders are loud and brash, others quiet and composed. Some exude strength and bravado, others intelligence and cunning...and/or a mixture of all sorts of other qualities, including the ones I listed. To think a leader has to have certain skills or personalities or they aren't a leader is a very deluded thought process that would be prone to overlooking very qualified individuals.
A vast majority of us either think it's a good pick or just don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I love the message that Guerin is sending; Spurgeon seems to be a great mix of the veterans, but also the young players. He has overcome stereotypes (too small), injuries (he had a lot of injuries in his first couple of seasons), being a low draft pick (most of them never amount to anything). He is underrated as a player, and I think a lot of people are underrating him as a captain.

There isn't a better player to be the captain of the Wild post-Koivu. He is the epitome of what Guerin wants; someone that has worked hard from the beginning and is well liked by both fans and players alike.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Spurgeon. Look up my post history, I was not a big fan of Spurgeon. But the past few years, he has grown on me and I really applaud this move.

Recent events outstanding, I like what Guerin is doing with this team.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I dont hate the pick, i wouldve preferred a more vocal and physical presense. But i do prefer spurgeon over suter or parise as captain.

Who knows? Maybe Spurgeon will step up, become more vocal and physical. Spurgeon vs Zadorov!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
To me it's a lot about courage, a leader I'd follow in battle. I wouldn't trust Spurgeon once the bullets start flying, but I'll give him a chance...

Wha?

Spurgeon isn't being asked to lead a group of special operators behind enemy lines to take out an enemy radar site. He's being asked to lead a hockey team.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

I would definitely agree with you a few years back when hockey was played by guys with a little more gusto. (thinking back to the Wendell Clark and Basil McRae days for some reason) .. but I recognize that things are different. The players are like businessman out to protect their investment and maximize their gains. Players like to treat each other will love and kindness. Yes, things have changed.

Glad to hear your willing to give Spurg and chance. His teammates all like him. Management likes him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
More than you know obviously. Oh wait, you spend a lot of time in the locker room, right?
Congratulations, you're about the 20th person to call me an idiot for questioning Spurgeon's leadership qualities. Oddly enough, you're also the 20th person to fail to provide even 1 example of Spurgeon's leadership.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Oddly enough, you're also the 20th person to fail to provide even 1 example of Spurgeon's leadership.

Do things always need to be beaten into your head until you notice them? Or do you just not know what a leadership quality even is? This thread is full of the apparent leadership qualities he has... at least the ones we can know about as outsiders.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Do things always need to be beaten into your head until you notice them? Or do you just not know what a leadership quality even is? This thread is full of the apparent leadership qualities he has... at least the ones we can know about as outsiders.
Another with zero examples. Every time someone like you makes a post like this, all that you're doing is further proving my points. Thanks, I guess

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would think that Spurgeon would be great behind enemy lines once the bullets start flying. Small stature, small target, and he has that sneaky offside pinch that always catches opponents by surprise. Fast, too, so it's hard to catch him in the cross hairs. Big dopey guys like Greenway, and slow guys like Suter and Parise are getting mowed down or blown up.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Another with zero examples. Every time someone like you makes a post like this, all that you're doing is further proving my points. Thanks, I guess

Oh yeah... Point proven. You know how ridiculous it is to argue that a professional sports team promoted someone to be captain and that someone has exactly zero leadership qualities?

I mean, I have kids who will continue to try to argue that they are right when they clearly haven’t a clue... but I’m not going to oblige you by listing the leadership qualities he has that countless others have already pointed out, only so you can come back with some nonsense response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad