Jared Spurgeon named Captain

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Uhm, been avoiding this pissing contest because this is a team decision that was made by people with knowledge of all the backstories. With that said how many fights did Koivu get into?

Reactions: thestonedkoala

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
NO BODY (as far as I know) is saying a captain, just because he's captain, has to go out and drop the gloves. You should feel an extra burden to come to the defense of your teammates getting mauled in front of the net after the whistle though.

Reactions: 2Pair

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Of course a captain shouldn't fight and put himself out of the game for the next 5 minutes of play. There's also a risk of injury.

But let's put it this way, what Spurgeon lacks badly is some toughness and passion. Nobody can say this will not help a captain. Spurgeon looks a bit shy and not very active on the bench. That's my problem with him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The point is that Spurgeon doesn't get to skate away from the scrums anymore.
I think Sakic skated away from every scrum... he was a great Captain.
But let's put it this way, what Spurgeon lacks badly is some toughness and passion.
Toughness isn't needed... plenty of Lady Byng winners have been good/ great Captains.

I don't see how anyone can say Spurgeon lacks passion though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Of course a captain shouldn't fight and put himself out of the game for the next 5 minutes of play. There's also a risk of injury.

But let's put it this way, what Spurgeon lacks badly is some toughness and passion. Nobody can say this will not help a captain. Spurgeon looks a bit shy and not very active on the bench. That's my problem with him.

You have zero idea of what Spurgeon is like on the bench.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Sakic skated away from every scrum... he was a great Captain.

Toughness isn't needed... plenty of Lady Byng winners have been good/ great Captains.

I don't see how anyone can say Spurgeon lacks passion though.
You would be wrong

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
It also says an intense desire or enthusiasm for something.

I'd say that fits him just fine. Funny thing words... having multiple definitions.

Obviously he isn't the kind of player that shows too much "physical passion". He just does his own job close to perfection and can handle other people. I think the diplomacy side is what they were thinking when they choose him, and while I have no inside knowledge about his personality, I believe Guerin was speaking mostly the truth when he said nobody in the organization has a bad thing to say about him.

Why diplomacy is important? Next to nobody believes this team will lift the cup after end of the season (and even if they do, they know it would be crazy to admit it). What this team will find is a lot of challenges while trying to transfer to the faster playstyle and needs a captain that is ready to solve those controversies instead of adding to them. It's a matter of perspective whether you think a more aggressive approach would be better or not, and it remains to be seen, but there will be difficult times ahead... I could see the 4 game back-to-back streak vs. Avalanche at the end of January being one of the first bigger tests.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You realize that the captaincy has like 50% to do with what is going on with the ice, and 50% to do in the locker room/outside hockey right? More than that, when they are on the ice, they are the ones that talk to the refs.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

You don't know anything about the Wild and it's just irking when you talk down on the players on the team. I have my concerns about Spurgeon as a captain, but where are you coming from saying he lacks toughness and passion? You haven't been here long enough to say any of that. You weren't here when he came back and played in the play-offs on a torn hamstring. What person can work his way up the game with the adversity he's faced without having a ton of passion for playing? And I'm sure you're in a good spot to talk about how active he is on the bench, considering the camera is zoomed in and on the bench all the time.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
You don't know anything about the Wild and it's just irking when you talk down on the players on the team. I have my concerns about Spurgeon as a captain, but where are you coming from saying he lacks toughness and passion? You haven't been here long enough to say any of that. You weren't here when he came back and played in the play-offs on a torn hamstring. What person can work his way up the game with the adversity he's faced without having a ton of passion for playing? And I'm sure you're in a good spot to talk about how active he is on the bench, considering the camera is zoomed in and on the bench all the time.

Watch every game of the season, for multiple seasons, and you will get a pretty good impression of how the players act on the bench. We're not talking about one game.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not alone about my opinion, and you don't need to study a player for years to get an idea about his personality. I'm sure Spurgeon is a great guy, but as I said, I also think he lacks a few qualities a captain should have.

Reactions: NonsenseElimination

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
So, you know what Spurgeon is like behind closed doors?

You really think players do a 180 when they get in the locker room from what they present themselves like on the ice/bench? Or does that only apply to the seemingly quiet guys? I've never had that experience in all my years of playing

Reactions: Webster

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You really think players do a 180 when they get in the locker room from what they present themselves like on the ice/bench? Or does that only apply to the seemingly quiet guys? I've never had that experience in all my years of playing
considering you probably did not play on TV yes i can see that happening. instead of lecturing someone on the bench for the world to see you say shit in the locker room. its respectful and someone may appreciate that more rather than hey dude thanks for bitching me out while my kids are watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->