Jared Spurgeon named Captain

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're fine to have your opinion, it's a fair one to have. But it's not a constructive dialogue to reject out of hand other people's opinions or reasoning as "Not a leadership quality". You tend to post as "I'm right, you're wrong", not "I disagree, here's why". You're welcome to do that, but it's usaully going to devolve into a pissing match.

I can't speak for other posters, but I never called you an idiot, I don't think I put your position on Spurgeon's contract into the conversation. You asked for leadership skills, I provided you with ones that he has. You rejected them out of hand as not being leadership skills.

There are players that don't have the level of Perseverance that Spurgeon has given his path to the NHL, and the long list of supremely talented players that wash out or never reach their potential because they couldn't or wouldn't put in the work. Thats a leadership quality. Spurgeon can go up to any player in the game and command respect because he worked his way up from nothing to being a one of the top 30 or so most valuable defensemen in the league. He can counsel the young 7th round pick because he's been there, or the lottery pick superstar because he's made his bones.

Integrity and accountability is another one. Examples of people are lacking in it to some degree would be Donato/Greenway/Kunin for sulking when being asked to play in the AHL playoffs. Greenway for apparently not putting in the work. Dubnyk for never taking responsibility for a bad goal. The long list of players with substance abuse issues that impact their game.

You may think those aren't as important having an outgoing demeanor, or being willing to get in anyone/everyone's face and throw down. That doesn't mean they aren't important.

I did, because it’s obvious.

This is the dumbest debate of all time because it actually has nothing to do with leadership qualities.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Are you still hammering away with the same terrible argument? Why? Not one example has been presented to me. Thatguy22 listed 3 character traits and that discussion has been had. If those are really the examples after a decade of games in this town, I can't help but feel it strengthens my argument.

You on the other hand, have made the above post 4 times without once providing the examples you keep claiming to be there.

It's certainly not just the character traits. He checks a lot of boxes for me personally.

-One of the three-ish best players on the team,
-Longest tenured Wild
-His Rags to riches story, and how that lends to his credibility
-Model of consistency
-His general character
-This one's anacdotel, but I feel like he tends to step up in games (Take command of situation as you put it) when we're down. When we're in close games, and make a comeback It seems to me he is usaully a large part of it by elevating his game. Game 7 Colorado, His hat trick game last year where we were losing a game we needed to win. Scored game tying, game leading goal, before stripping the defender with the the puck for a breakaway game sealing empty net goal. Could be bias, but my general feeling is that when we come back in games, he's usaully a big part of it.
-Highest paid Wild player.

Suter checks most of those boxes except backstory, and is a bit more fiery. I would have been fine with him. But there may be some locker-room baggage with Suter. Russo's hinted their is a disconnect in there, i'm not in a position to judge it.

Those are the only two players on the roster that make sense to me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's certainly not just the character traits. He checks a lot of boxes for me personally.

-Longest tenured Wild
-Model of consistency
-His general character
-This one's anacdotel, but I feel like he tends to step up in games (Take command of situation as you put it) when we're down. When we're in close games, and make a comeback It seems to me he is usaully a large part of it by elevating his game. Game 7 Colorado, His hat trick game last year where we were losing a game we needed to win. Scored game tying, game leading goal, before stripping the defender with the the puck for a breakaway game sealing empty net goal. Could be bias, but my general feeling is that when we come back in games, he's usaully a big part of it.

Suter checks most of those boxes except backstory, and is a bit more fiery. I would have been fine with him. But there may be some locker-room baggage with Suter. Russo's hinted their is a disconnect in there, i'm not in a position to judge it.

This is the reply I've been asking for for 7 pages. I don't agree with all of it, but I respect the opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BagHead

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

-Longest tenured Wild
-Model of consistency
-His general character

I agree to this, also the Suter part.

One thing I admire the captain is that, unlike *some other players*, I don't remember him ever hanging his head down. You know you got to your opponents head if you can see a visible negative reaction or even frustration.

Reactions: W75 and 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Most importantly, Spurgeon makes terrible commercials. A guy like Dumba who is funny on screen....seems kinda suspicious, and uncaptainlike. Next thing you know he'll have quit hockey and headed to LA to be in movies. Guys like Koivu, Spurgeon, and Suter all have the stiff, awkward acting technique down pat.

Reactions: W75

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I can’t believe I’ve read this stupid pissing match.

There’s not one Leadership quantity or action that one can’t point to and say, “this will make you a leader”.

Leadership has to do with doing the small things consistently.

Don’t think Spurgeon should be captain? Cool.
Think Spurgeon will make a great captain? Cool.

Not a single person here interacts with the guy on a daily basis to provide much of an opinion.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Most importantly, Spurgeon makes terrible commercials. A guy like Dumba who is funny on screen....seems kinda suspicious, and uncaptainlike. Next thing you know he'll have quit hockey and headed to LA to be in movies. Guys like Koivu, Spurgeon, and Suter all have the stiff, awkward acting technique down pat.

I'm pretty sure that when a hockey player is supposed to speak in a commercial, they strap them to a gurney and then edit it back out in post production.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
If Spurgeon is really the most qualified person we have to be captain it is no wonder this franchise is such a mediocrity. How many teams in the NHL would he even be considered for such a role? I suspect hardly any because they all have players that truly fit the role. Not many captains that I know of are shy and meek both on and off the ice. He's a skilled player but I have seen him skate away way too many times when his teammates or goalie is getting mauled (he's not the only one, Suter and Brodin do it too).

As for alternatives, the choices are sparse, but:

We have a guy who was named captain of the US Olympic hockey team (basically a team of all-stars, many of them captains of their own NHL team) but he is not the most qualified or deserving person to get the C for the Minnesota Wild? I bet Parise is, rightly, pissed.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Spurgeon is really the most qualified person we have to be captain it is no wonder this franchise is such a mediocrity. How many teams in the NHL would he even be considered for such a role? I suspect hardly any because they all have players that truly fit the role. Not many captains that I know of are shy and meek both on and off the ice. He's a skilled player but I have seen him skate away way too many times when his teammates or goalie is getting mauled (he's not the only one, Suter and Brodin do it too).

We have a guy who was named captain of the US Olympic hockey team (basically a team of all-stars, many of them captains of their own NHL team) but he is not the most qualified or deserving person to get the C for the Minnesota Wild? I bet Parise is, rightly, pissed.

Going from waiving his NMC to being named captain in less than a year would be a hell of a weird ass thing.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Going from waiving his NMC to being named captain in less than a year would be a hell of a weird ass thing.

Parise is the face of franchise and definite leader material, but referring to what has been discussed about the style of hockey and identity of the team in previous years, I would think Spurgeon is the best compromise that most can stand behind.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How many teams in the NHL would he even be considered for such a role? I suspect hardly any because they all have players that truly fit the role. Not many captains that I know of are shy and meek both on and off the ice. .

How do you know Spurgeon is shy and meek? Are you his friend and sit and talk to him?

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014

Why do people keep acting like Spurgeon punching people in the face is more important than winning hockey games?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Captains were almost never face punchers. Yzerman had Probert et al. Gretzky had Semenko. Beliveau- Ferguson. Trottier-Gillies...and on, and on. I will never disparage a tough guy, but they are a far more common commodity than a skilled player.

Parise has never been " the face of the franchise" to me. His best years were with NJD. He has made a good honest effort when he has been here, but his body as let him down. It can be argued that he has never been worth his contract, even in his good years with the Wild.When did he ever have great playoff performances that led us to championships, or even anything close? At this point, he is way past his due date, even if he can get his back to hold together. Even if he hadn't waived his NMC to go and play with his buddy Lou in NY, and didn't have the baggage of him talking about trading off players in the dressing room when he knew he was immune because of his NMC, he would be a bad choice for captain.

I don't blame him, or dislike him, but he has been a disappointment relative to his cap hit.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Where there's smoke there be some fire.

Parise has:

- went behind the team with a different pp coach during a season

- whined about pp ice time

- openly displayed joy in the room and infront of brodin during the whole brodin for R.Johanson trade rumors.

- passive aggressive about wanting to leave the team to get a cup

I'm sure there's more but I think the body of work already speaks as to why he probably shouldn't captain a team wanting to have youngish players.

Not to say he isn't a good influence with his hard work at all but I cant help but feel his personality wouldn't be the right fit.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Captains were almost never face punchers. Yzerman had Probert et al. Gretzky had Semenko. Beliveau- Ferguson. Trottier-Gillies...and on, and on. I will never disparage a tough guy, but they are a far more common commodity than a skilled player.

Parise has never been " the face of the franchise" to me. His best years were with NJD. He has made a good honest effort when he has been here, but his body as let him down. It can be argued that he has never been worth his contract, even in his good years with the Wild.When did he ever have great playoff performances that led us to championships, or even anything close? At this point, he is way past his due date, even if he can get his back to hold together. Even if he hadn't waived his NMC to go and play with his buddy Lou in NY, and didn't have the baggage of him talking about trading off players in the dressing room when he knew he was immune because of his NMC, he would be a bad choice for captain.

I don't blame him, or dislike him, but he has been a disappointment relative to his cap hit.
Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Mark Messier, Denis Potvin, Chris Chelios, Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Zdeno Chara were all decent leaders.

Nobody is asking a guy like Spurgeon to go around starting fights, he's just no longer allowed to hide from them.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Mark Messier, Denis Potvin, Chris Chelios, Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Zdeno Chara were all decent leaders.

Nobody is asking a guy like Spurgeon to go around starting fights, he's just no longer allowed to hide from them.

lol. Just lol.

You’re the captain now. You’re expected to fight!

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

arent captains supposed to be smart? Spurgeon should be the last person in a fight C or no C. dude is what 5'7 and 170? doesnt have a mean streak. far from a fighter. smart move is to not fight for him.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
arent captains supposed to be smart? Spurgeon should be the last person in a fight C or no C. dude is what 5'7 and 170? doesnt have a mean streak. far from a fighter. smart move is to not fight for him.
No! Captains never back down from a fight! Never!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The point is that Spurgeon doesn't get to skate away from the scrums anymore.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The point is that Spurgeon doesn't get to skate away from the scrums anymore.
thats not a captain thing though, thats a team thing you should stick up for your teammates with or without a letter on your chest no matter your size. having the C does not mean he needs to jump into a scrum if there is one. if my captain is smaller than me i sure as hell dont want him jumping in to help when its not needed which most of the time is the case.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
thats not a captain thing though, thats a team thing you should stick up for your teammates with or without a letter on your chest no matter your size. having the C does not mean he needs to jump into a scrum if there is one. if my captain is smaller than me i sure as hell dont want him jumping in to help when its not needed which most of the time is the case.
Yes it most certainly is a team thing. A captain is the last person who gets to avoid those types of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->