Jared Spurgeon named Captain

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hypothetically, if you gave Suter the choice of an " A" or playing with Spurgeon, which would he pick? Even more hypothetically, if he had a choice between a " C" and playing Spurgeon?

Picking the A; Suter I think likes playing with Dumba more than Spurgeon.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What are you basing that Suter prefers Dumba? Russo has outright reported he likes to play with Spurgeon more.

Haven't heard of that; all I remember is Suter didn't like playing with Brodin (which led to Brodin being on the second pairing).

Edit: Not saying you guys are wrong, but I'm curious if this was Russo on the Podcast or Russo on Twitter. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dumba and Suter didn't pair well.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter's "I've just eaten a lemon" face when he looked over at Dumba freewheeling like an excitable puppy beside him when he should've been on the other side of the ice, was pretty classic.

I don't think that Suter minded playing with Brodin so much as he liked playing with Spurgeon more. D to D passes are much easier when Dmen are on their proper side, and MN does them more than just about any team.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin said Sidney Crosby doesn't say much either :laugh:

So let's give Spurgeon a chance then..

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Webster will like this one; remember how much of an a-hole Mark Messier was? I don't want that type of captain...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Webster will like this one; remember how much of an a-hole Mark Messier was? I don't want that type of captain...

I thought Messier was a great captain. But I also believe that there isn't just one style or personality trait that makes someone a great leader. Messier was a more fiery, in your face, "follow me" type of leader...and it worked for him. Somebody brought up Lidstrom earlier in this thread...there's an example of someone who led more by example than by getting in their face. And Lidstrom was a fantastic captain.

In a HOF tribute by the Hockey Writers, they described Lidstrom as the following" "His gentlemanly play, leadership, positive attitude, and sense of community gave hockey players of all ages the ideal superstar to look up to."

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I thought Messier was a great captain. But I also believe that there isn't just one style or personality trait that makes someone a great leader. Messier was a more fiery, in your face, "follow me" type of leader...and it worked for him. Somebody brought up Lidstrom earlier in this thread...there's an example of someone who led more by example than by getting in their face. And Lidstrom was a fantastic captain.

In a HOF tribute by the Hockey Writers, they described Lidstrom as the following" "His gentlemanly play, leadership, positive attitude, and sense of community gave hockey players of all ages the ideal superstar to look up to."
And yet, Messier was hated in Vancouver....

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Parise was certainly diplomatic and professional in his public quotes about it. Via the Athletic.

“Of course there was disappointment, but it’s not about me, it’s about (Spurgeon),” said Parise, who signed with the Wild in 2012 and is 28 goals from passing Marian Gaborik for most in team history. “It’s an honor for him, so that’s what’s most important. … I was happy for Jared. I think he’s a good choice. We all know what type of person he is, and as a player we see it every day, what he brings to us. I’m happy for him, and I think he’s going to do a really good job. Ryan and I will help him out the best we can. I think it was a good choice.”

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Spurgeon is more of a bridge between the young and old. Love and respected by both sides. Humble and grounded and cares about everyone's success.

The young guy won't be afraid to talk to our captain if he gets barked at by a vet, where as say that vet that barked at you was your captain? I think it makes sense for a team wanting to get younger and faster but want them to learn from the hard working vets.

Good news Spurgeon is all the above and of the best success stories for a hockey player. through sheer determination and hard work even though every step of the way was basically dissapointment he never gave up and made his dream come true.

I admit I was one who thought he wasn't going to fit the bill of what I thought BG would want in a captain but im glad I was wrong and am more confident he made the right choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
It's pretty narrow sighted for the people thinking that there can be only one type of leader. Some leaders are loud and brash, others quiet and composed. Some exude strength and bravado, others intelligence and cunning...and/or a mixture of all sorts of other qualities, including the ones I listed. To think a leader has to have certain skills or personalities or they aren't a leader is a very deluded thought process that would be prone to overlooking very qualified individuals.

Reactions: pfunk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2