Jared Spurgeon named Captain

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Pretty embarrassing, hope it works out
Get over it. It was an easy choice.

He's soft as silk, and that's a problem. I've actually never seen him engaged or angry. Teammates may respect him, but opponent players will laugh at him. That's the reality, history shows that guys with this kind of personality fail as captains.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You couldn't be more wrong.

The tough and passionate Jared Spurgeon, whose voice on the bench can be heard in downtown Minneapolis. Just the kind of captain this team needs!

Oops...something didn't make sense in that sentence.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
The tough and passionate Jared Spurgeon, whose voice on the bench can be heard in downtown Minneapolis. Just the kind of captain this team needs!

I don't know what captaincy means to you, but to me it's no different than any manager at any job I've ever had. Different people deal with different managerial styles differently, but usually I see the loud, shouty, angry ones get shut out pretty quickly. Once in a while they are actually that proverbial hardass who will be hard on his guys but also has their back, but usually it's someone trying to be a poor imitation of that guy.

I'm good with Spurgeon being Spurgeon. He knows the ropes, by Russo's account and others, seems to have the respect of the locker room, and is approachable for the younger guys coming in. Sounds like a solid choice to me. Whether or not you naysayers believe what the journalist says about Spurgeon's reputation is up to you; I'm not going to pretend I know better than what we're being told by him, even if Russo is just a team mouthpiece.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Probably not the best leadership skills, but he still has them. Gets along with people.

Plus: He is smart, fast and dedicated.. just like the new Wild want to be, so really happy for him and the team.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Well in any case I think we can all agree he's a better choice than Zuccarello who will be jettisoned off this roster the moment Guerin is able to do so.

But hey...what if he scores 60 points this season?
He can score a lot you know, just give him some talented linemates...

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Who have been the best captains in NHL history? How many of them were eccentric?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wouldve been wierd to give the "C" to a player on an expiring contract.

I mean signing him to an extension wouldn't be out of the possibility. Name him captain and an extension?

Foligno is a peripheral player, with a short shelf life, who came here from another organization where he was born, and played his first few years Good guy, tries hard, not very talented.

Talent isn't necessarily a criteria to be a captain. It helps. A lot of people were commenting on Foligno's leadership on and off the ice this season.

Wild's Foligno evolving into team leader - StarTribune.com

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
This is the best news in a long time for me. I was anticipating the hell out of this announcement.

Many years ago Parise would have been a lock, but Spurgeon earned this role 100%. I'm laughing to myself @ those of you saying he doesn't possess leadership qualities...dude has literally overcome every doubter in the world to get to where he is. He's extremely professional to the media and leads by example on the ice. Was also a leader for the Spokane Chiefs when he was in the WHL.

My first post in many many years, that's how excited I am by this news. I feel like if you really follow the team you knew Spurg was the guy. With all due respect to Foligno those of you thinking it would be him were really reaching. Baby Face gonna look so sexy with that C on his sweater.

Filip Karlsson

Oct 6, 2020
”Leadership qualities” are tough to define. Some great captains in hockey (and other sports) have been aggressive shouters but that's not the only way to lead.

For me, I would identify the most important trait as someone who can get an entire group of people moving in the same direction and working towards a united goal.

Shouting and being a hardass is just a means to an end.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Not sure why I was suddenly reminded of this but a good video regarding Leadership and consistency. Love me some Simon Sinek.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013

It was your “logic”

Some can lead by example, his play and professionalism is plenty

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think if Guerin and Evason wanted Foligno to be captain, then they would've chosen him and not Spurgeon.

I don't understand your comment. I mentioned that I was surprised it wasn't Foligno, but was happy it was Spurgeon. You're right if they wanted Foligno, they would have named him the captain.

With all due respect to Foligno those of you thinking it would be him were really reaching.

How was it reaching? There are articles written on Foligno and his leadership on and off the ice. Contract aside, Foligno has been praised for his leadership.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Man there are some downright atrocious takes in this thread. I won’t pretend to know what it’s like to play with one Jared Spurgeon, but if you are actually watching his game, his interviews, his dedication to get to where he is today, and his outgoing nature to make guys feel welcome on this hockey team and you’re coming away thinking he doesn’t have what it takes to be a captain, I dunno how the heck we’ve even been watching the same guy.

I will gladly take the guy that’s as cool as the other side of the pillow over the guy who always lets his emotion show. There are role players to fill those other roles. A captain doesn’t have to be loud or in your face. I for one love this selection and wish Spurgie well.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Yeah i doubt Parise/Suter give a damn, but if they did i'm sure Spurg would have had the option to pass the role onto ZP. I think the old vets realize where they are in their career - what was it 2012 Parise captained the Devs? and 2014 was olympics? that was moons ago. I'm sure Spurgeon had a conversation with Parise prior to it being finalized. This is all speculation...but i feel like i have a good idea of whats going on in that locker room :P

I think everyone in that room fully supports this choice. I'm weird at how i appreciate certain captains...i like the underdog picks. Like i think Horvat on the canucks is one of the coolest ones in the league, same goes for Giroux when he was selected. Toews obviously at the time too. It was meant to be.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter, Parise, and Ek get the "A's" if he wants to appease the oldies. Brodin, JEE, and Fiala if he wants to be done with them.

Suter/Parise, JEE, and Brodin if he wants to split the difference. As I said in a earlier post, it is rare to have a captain and an assistant on the same defensive pairing. There is actually a technical reason for having a C or A separate and on the ice as much as possible. I do think Suter should get it before Parise, that aside.

Hypothetically, if you gave Suter the choice of an " A" or playing with Spurgeon, which would he pick? Even more hypothetically, if he had a choice between a " C" and playing Spurgeon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad