Jared Spurgeon named Captain

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Such as who?

A very good example is Ryan McDonagh, typical Spurgeon type of guy, no grit and low vocal. McDonagh failed as captain for the Rangers, and they ended up trading him. The Rangers have been without a captain since then, going to be 100% sure the next one has what it takes.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I would look for a guy that is willing to stand up for himself/teammates. A guy that takes charge on the ice/bench. A guy willing to speak up for himself/teammates.
I would look for qualities in a person that would make me want to follow him/her into battle. Someone that will show the team how to be a professional and play the right way. Maximum effort and class on and off the ice. Integrity is absolutely on the top of this list. No different from any boss that you have worked for in your job. Not necessary to be aggressive or be loud and take charge, but when necessary they should be able to say what needs to be said. It's a different time too. They need to be able to understand the young kids coming into the league. Cave man days are over. Need to be able to relate to both the young and older players. Communication is huge, but that doesn't have to translate into loud and domineering. Lots of quiet captains like Lidstrom, Sundin and Alfredsson. LOL just off the top of my head and all Swedes. I am sure there are many more. Others can be the loud rahrah guys on the bench and ice. Captain does not have to do this.

Reactions: pfunk

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would look for qualities in a person that would make me want to follow him/her into battle. Someone that will show the team how to be a professional and play the right way. Maximum effort and class on and off the ice. Integrity is absolutely on the top of this list. No different from any boss that you have worked for in your job. Not necessary to be aggressive or be loud and take charge, but when necessary they should be able to say what needs to be said. It's a different time too. They need to be able to understand the young kids coming into the league. Cave man days are over. Need to be able to relate to both the young and older players. Communication is huge, but that doesn't have to translate into loud and domineering. Lots of quiet captains like Lidstrom, Sundin and Alfredsson. LOL just off the top of my head and all Swedes. I am sure there are many more. Others can be the loud rahrah guys on the bench and ice. Captain does not have to do this.
I never said anything about loud. I said willing to speak up and say/do what needs to be said/done. That's not Spurgeon

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Surprised it wasn't Foligno but considering contracts and ones a wild born and raised and one isn't i think that's the edge.

Perhaps wild lockeroom isn't short of guys being vocal, so having a more quite captain that will let others voice isn't a bad thing.

Off the ice from everything I've seen from Jared over the years hes probably one of the most pro pros you could have. Never heard one bad thing about Spurg... ever.

Reaches out to future teammates so he's engaged in the future success of them. Good qualities.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im trying to think of really good captains. messier was a dk but a good cap , i think pronger was a cap? man they don't make many like him. yzerman never fought but was a leader on the ice. captains don't mean alot to me. who was your best alltime captain?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

Perhaps regretfully admit i love the words "gravitate towards" because in my fantasy anime worlds the hero protagonists often have the "can't help but want to stand by them" love or hate them at first you want to be apart of their team to reach their goals.

Go Spurgeon.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Lotta different ways to lead. Anybody disappointed here wouldn’t recognize leadership if it slapped em upside the head. Great choice.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Amusing that the Zuccarello cheerleader doesn’t like Spurgeon. Hard to compute given the similarities in each getting to this point. Granted Spurgeon has developed into a significantly better player. Can’t wait until the day Zuccarello is gone.

As a fan, I don’t understand the need to have a strong opinion on who is the captain one way or another. All that matters to me as a fan is that the captain handles himself professionally, is approachable from a media standpoint, and does everything in his power to be an advocate for the franchise. What he does behind closed doors isn’t for me to know/have an opinion on. If the franchise feels he is up to the task based on what they see everyday, I suppose I will put my faith in them over the keyboard hero's here.

Loved Koivu on this franchise but at the same token, you wonder if this team would have been viewed in a different light if their captain was more open and accessible. Being prickly, stoic, and closed off is all well and good but for a franchise that didn’t have much intrigue about them, you’re inviting those who can give your team more attention a reason to say why bother.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It’s a nice honor for the player, but in the end, it’s not going to mean a whole lot when it comes to wins and losses.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It’s a nice honor for the player, but in the end, it’s not going to mean a whole lot when it comes to wins and losses.

Except that a lot of losses can ruin a captain, who sometimes will think it's his fault. That's what happened to McDonagh.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I would look for a guy that is willing to stand up for himself/teammates. A guy that takes charge on the ice/bench. A guy willing to speak up for himself/teammates.

You think that Jared doesn't stand up for his teammates? Or that he isn't willing to speak up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You think that Jared doesn't stand up for his teammates? Or that he isn't willing to speak up?

I've yet to see that on the ice.

I'm afraid that if Spurgeon tries to get into the mix he'd get his rear spanked blue and yellow...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My guess, and guessing is all any of us are doing, is that Spurgeon has plenty of respect from the other guys in the locker room based on where he started his career, and where he's worked himself up to at this point.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
As others have said, I will trust the GM and coach to make the right decision as a) they are more qualified (unless someone on this forum was more successful than Guerin as a player/leader/around other leaders) and b) actually have had access to all the players, have experienced the culture, etc.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Albeit -- the choice makes sense. I too was in the Suter camp.
imagine the cup being handed to Jared Spurgeon first lol

but hey -- hes beloved across the org and plays honest hockey. good for him. go get em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad