Jakub Vrana Thread

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't understand where this idea came from that a slow guy can't pair with a fast guy.

Would you rather have all our slow guys on one line? Isn't it good to have at least some speed on every shift?

I mean do you expect every play to involve 3 guys racing each other up the ice? Don't we ever want to set up and establish zone time? Put together a play that takes more than a few seconds and doesn't involve sprinting down the ice?

If I was putting together an imaginary ideal team I'd probably have my 4 slowest guys on 4 different lines, so every shift you have 2 guys who can keep up with each other end to end and a 3rd guy with other skills to balance it out.

unrelated: Can we nickname this guy Vroomvroom?
If you watched the last few games where Svech was on the top line, he couldn't even stay in the television screen playing with Larkin. The concept of splitting up speed is the same as the concept of splitting up scorers to get scoring on every line. It usually doesn't work, especially in this case since Vrana is an offensive guy anyways. Larkin's style is scoring on the rush, give him a linemate that can actually keep up.

The end solution is to not have any slow guys at all. That's where the league is going, and it certainly doesn't look like Svech is in Stevie's long term plans.

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
yes, can only move 2 spots back though so worst gets top 3 at worst with like a 80% chance of a top 2 pick.

Ah nice so again the good old conflict of rooting for our young guys to play well and win us games - and hoping to be bad enough for a chance at a franchise player.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I agree, although I think he'll be better than AA

Agreed, while he does have 5 more GP, he's literally outperforming AA this season in pretty much every category. Vrana has more Goals, Assists, Points, Shots, Power play Points, Plus/Minus etc.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hot take: Vrana will be Athanasiou 2.0 here. Great per 60 stats, in the doghouse all the time, and most importantly, a perpetual controversy on these boards.

A poor man's Athanasiou

Everyone seems very confident that Yzerman traded for “Athanasiou 2.0” at the cost of Mantha when he just traded Athanasiou 1.0 for two 2nds and a cap dump.

Last I checked, no one forced Yzerman to trade Mantha.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Ah nice so again the good old conflict of rooting for our young guys to play well and win us games - and hoping to be bad enough for a chance at a franchise player.

Screw that, I want us to be terrible next year. We could have like 10 wins and I wouldn't care. Next year to me is all about maximizing the lotto chances.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Everyone seems very confident that Yzerman traded for “Athanasiou 2.0” at the cost of Mantha when he just traded Athanasiou 1.0 for two 2nds and a cap dump.

Last I checked, no one forced Yzerman to trade Mantha.
AA = two 2nds + cap dump
Mantha = AA 2.0 + 1st + 2nd + cap dump

Hence:
Mantha = 1st + three 2nds + two cap dumps

I can deal with that. Let's hope Vrana gets at least the same return as AA.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
AA = two 2nds + cap dump
Mantha = AA 2.0 + 1st + 2nd + cap dump

Hence:
Mantha = 1st + three 2nds + two cap dumps

I can deal with that. Let's hope Vrana gets at least the same return as AA.

You’re really fine with 2 cap dumps, no roster players, and no picks higher than 20-25 for a player you didn’t have to trade who was signed for 3 more years? That’s a worse return than what we got for an unsigned Tatar.

But I’m sure it’s because Vrana, who is 14th in the NHL in P/60 over the last 3 years, surrounded by elite players in the top 20 (and, ironically, Tatar), is just another variation of Athanasiou, who, as an alleged P/60 darling, is T-6th on the Wings in that time.

But I’m sure it’s just cause he plays with better players, too.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You’re really fine with 2 cap dumps, no roster players, and no picks higher than 20-25 for a player you didn’t have to trade who was signed for 3 more years? That’s a worse return than what we got for an unsigned Tatar.

But I’m sure it’s because Vrana, who is 14th in the NHL in P/60 over the last 3 years, surrounded by elite players in the top 20 (and, ironically, Tatar), is just another variation of Athanasiou, who, as an alleged P/60 darling, is T-6th on the Wings in that time.

But I’m sure it’s just cause he plays with better players, too.
Nobody gives a shit about AA's P/60.
His G/60 on the other hand is the best of our franchise this millenium.
upload_2021-4-15_19-35-9.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad