Jakub Vrana Thread

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Usually Ken Daniels has a phonetic spelling for everyone's name yet every time he says "Ver-ah-na" it just never sounds right to me... It's like the word forbade.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dude is going to cash in this summer, pretty amazing run on a very bad team. He could be extra special with real NHL players all around him.

Steveie doesnt really let RFAs cash in though and an 11 game run at a poibnt per game pace likely isnt enough to do it. I do think hes going to be a contributor long term for the team if he doesnt fall into the inconsistent play caps fans bitched about. I think being second fiddle to OV and getting low ice time contributed to that and hes showing he can be a legit top line player if given the minutes here.

Wait til he has someone like Raymond feeding him

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
On Vrana, I have to ask if ice time was the overwhelming factor in his improved production in Detroit, or whether Vrana was more likely inspired to perform better, like with a chip on his shoulder, after leaving the Caps, or whatever else.

Inevitably, ice time did factor in, but does that mostly account for the run he had in Detroit? I really think it's yet to be shown.

To me, the other interesting question is if I assume that Vrana was simply more motivated to play in Detroit for whatever reason, he enjoyed the added responsibility or enjoyed being able to restart anew away from coaches he doesn't like, etc, then the next question is about whether there was anything else behind that motivation. If, for example, I also assume his newfound motivation was really inspired by finding a new team outside of Detroit this summer as much as it was about leaving Washington, then I have to wonder whether re-signing him here will mean he ends up playing for Detroit like he played for Washington.

The flip side to it is Mantha also upped his game after the trade... Maybe Vrana and Mantha both end up backsliding into their old ways no matter what because that's just the kind of players they are. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Vrana would have been a 30 goal scorer over a full season. His production may even surpass that if he played big minutes in Detroit as opposed to limited minutes in Washington. He's everything we hoped Zadina would be. Vrana has been one of the few bright spots this season.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Vrana would have been a 30 goal scorer over a full season. His production may even surpass that if he played big minutes in Detroit as opposed to limited minutes in Washington. He's everything we hoped Zadina would be. Vrana has been one of the few bright spots this season.
To be fair, Vrana has 4 more seasons in the AHL/NHL over Zadina, so we'll see how Zadina is in his D+5 year, compared to his D+2 year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He’s been really good so credit where credit is due.

that said, he isn’t going to sustain his goal pace so I am still questioning what we really have here.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He’s been really good so credit where credit is due.

that said, he isn’t going to sustain his goal pace so I am still questioning what we really have here.
Vrana is a 25+ goal scorer. I think of him more like a Blake Wheeler type than a Kucherov or Ovechkin-lite kind of player. But he could score 30 or more when paired with other skilled players.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Vrana is a 25+ goal scorer. I think of him more like a Blake Wheeler type than a Kucherov or Ovechkin-lite kind of player. But he could score 30 or more when paired with other skilled players.

That’s fair, but the next question is what’s that worth in contract value? Do you have any comparables?

I see numbers with AAV of 5+ being thrown around and I’m not sure I’m sold on that.

Evolving Wild has a decent contract projection tool and pegs him at 5.4 x 4. But what happens when he goes through some scoring droughts? Is he bringing any value? For all his warts a guy like Mantha was a better two way guy and play driver, so he still had other ways to contribute. I’m not seeing much of that from Vrana so far, which is fine, but gives me pause at oFfering him a 5.5 million AAV

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Aside from goal scoring, which he seems to have a FULL toolbox of goalscoring skill (unlike Mantha who is more of a one-trick-pony), he is a firecracker and has untapped potential at improving his overall game. He's a competitor (also, unlike Mantha).

I hate to be "that guy", but Vrana is proving to be the superior player between the 2, and add in the the free pick(s)... I have no shame in rashly declaring Yzerman absolutely fleeced MacLellan.

It'll be interesting to see what Mantha does in the playoffs, but I am not really expecting much other than facing atleast one healthy scratch. Which sucks, because Mantha could have been a star in this league if he could put forth some basic work ethics and consistent effort.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Aside from goal scoring, which he seems to have a FULL toolbox of goalscoring skill (unlike Mantha who is more of a one-trick-pony), he is a firecracker and has untapped potential at improving his overall game. He's a competitor (also, unlike Mantha).

I hate to be "that guy", but Vrana is proving to be the superior player between the 2, and add in the the free pick(s)... I have no shame in rashly declaring Yzerman absolutely fleeced MacLellan.

It'll be interesting to see what Mantha does in the playoffs, but I am not really expecting much other than facing atleast one healthy scratch. Which sucks, because Mantha could have been a star in this league if he could put forth some basic work ethics and consistent effort.
so true about vrana being ' a firecracker and competitor ' , this guy has the hunger to score goals like anybody .
and he can carry the puck up ice with the best of them , elite wheels . what a great move by yzergod even if it were sans the pix !

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think everyone celebrating Vrana being such a better worker then Mantha needs to remember who is currently playing for his next NHL contract.

Vrana has been straight up been called out by multiple coaches in the past for not putting in the effort in the finer details of the game.

Jakub Vrana scratched in quarterfinals after criticism from former Czech national team head coach

“I am very disappointed by Jakub Vrána,” Sykora said as translated by RMNB’s Alexandra Petáková. “He doesn’t battle [for the puck], he’s invisible. A few moments were enough to assure me that he has celebrity manners. I don’t know if he learned that from someone in Washington but he should quickly forget it. I remember the evaluation of his presentation in junior national teams, he was unwilling to work for it. He basically just waits for a pass on a break where he can use his shot. He’s not active on his own. Even though he’s a successful young player, he’s getting recognition in the NHL. But to me his performance in the national team is a big disappointment.”

Now maybe Vrana has matured and turned the corner. Maybe this trade was a big wake up call.

But let's not celebrate he's some huge difference from Mantha fully until he's sitting on a fat new contract and still busting ass through the 82 game grind that's to hit next year.

Love what I see so far but I'm only cautiously optimistic.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think everyone celebrating Vrana being such a better worker then Mantha needs to remember who is currently playing for his next NHL contract.

Vrana has been straight up been called out by multiple coaches in the past for not putting in the effort in the finer details of the game.

Jakub Vrana scratched in quarterfinals after criticism from former Czech national team head coach

Now maybe Vrana has matured and turned the corner. Maybe this trade was a big wake up call.

But let's not celebrate he's some huge difference from Mantha fully until he's sitting on a fat new contract and still busting ass through the 82 game grind that's to hit next year.

Completely agree. If Vrana didn’t have his own warts he wouldn’t have been available in this trade.

0 points in his last 15 playoff games and 8 in 38 career playoff games is a little alarming tbh. It hints that when the games get grittier he has shown a tendency to disappear.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That’s fair, but the next question is what’s that worth in contract value? Do you have any comparables?

I see numbers with AAV of 5+ being thrown around and I’m not sure I’m sold on that.

Evolving Wild has a decent contract projection tool and pegs him at 5.4 x 4. But what happens when he goes through some scoring droughts? Is he bringing any value? For all his warts a guy like Mantha was a better two way guy and play driver, so he still had other ways to contribute. I’m not seeing much of that from Vrana so far, which is fine, but gives me pause at oFfering him a 5.5 million AAV
He will probably get Mantha's contract, or somewhere near that. Around 4.5-5.5 is probably going to be the number to keep him for at least 2 years of FA. His qualifying offer is at least 3 million, depending on how many bonuses he hits, and he's arbitration eligible. I think he only has two more years of RFA left before he can be UFA, so we have an advantage in negotiation, there, as we don't have as many years of FA to buy, as we did with Mantha...but Vrana's Qualifying offer is higher than Mantha's when we signed him last year, so I'm guessing Mantha's contract is about where we want to end up.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Simply put, consistency is his issue (consistency in effort, in production, whatever) historically, and an 11-game sample size is nowhere near big enough to prove he's past that, especially given his contract status, as previously pointed out.

Cautiously optimistic describes me as well. Hoping for the best moving forward, things are looking good so far, but still a lot of time for things to go south, given his past.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Based on the sample size I've seen, I'm celebrating. The fact he is proving his critics wrong is a HUGE step in the right direction.

That deserves celebration.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dude is going to cash in this summer, pretty amazing run on a very bad team. He could be extra special with real NHL players all around him.
Interesting take since he produced at a higher rate in Detroit than Washington. He was on the second line with TJ and Backstrom last season who are both much more skilled than anyone on this team.

I don't have a really good idea what the amount is going to be, but as long as it's less than 4 years and less than $5.5M, I'll be happy with it.

Edit: I'm really impressed with the way he handled this trade, getting sent to a bottom end team. Kudos on him for dealing with an emotional disappointment and going beyond expectations the last 11 games. Let's hope he continues it for 4 more years, lol.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Interesting take since he produced at a higher rate in Detroit than Washington. He was on the second line with TJ and Backstrom last season who are both much more skilled than anyone on this team.

I don't have a really good idea what the amount is going to be, but as long as it's less than 4 years and less than $5.5M, I'll be happy with it.

Edit: I'm really impressed with the way he handled this trade, getting sent to a bottom end team. Kudos on him for dealing with an emotional disappointment and going beyond expectations the last 11 games. Let's hope he continues it for 4 more years, lol.
less than 5,5M is very unlikely. 6-7 is about right.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He won’t get more than Larkin.
This ^^

Remember the chatter about Mantha getting $6-8? Look it up, some thought those were realisitic #'s. How bout Bert's deal? (got way less on 1yr then all of us thought).

I'd go 3y@$4.7 or 4y@$4.9. We can't let 11gp & shiny new toy with sparkle in his eyes syndrome taint our judgement.

4 yrs from today Vrana will be 29y & 2mo. old, perfect time to trade a "still in-prime, speedy, skilled Top6 scoring winger with near elite shot/release" for a late 1st + prospect.

SY steps up to the podium to accept the Annual NHL GM's Magician's Award, having turned a lazyish Mantha into 4+yrs of Vrana + 2 late-ish 1sts + late-ish 2nd + serviceable/overpaid Panik. SY takes a bow & disappears into like a thief in the night with trophy in hand, then laughs all the way back home.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
less than 5,5M is very unlikely. 6-7 is about right.
I'd walk from that. On the Wings he's a top line winger, on a playoff team he's a second line winger. $6-7 is beyond what Barkov, Huberdeau, Forsberg, and Laine (when he was good) got in their last RFA deal. Salaries are gonna go down this offseason because of the flat cap. No need to outbid yourself like Holland did.

Look at his overall stats including playoffs for the last 2 seasons, $5.5M is max since he's RFA. $5 - 6M is the going rate for a decent second line UFA winger.

Reactions: SirloinUB

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I'd be happy if he just turns into a Fedorov 2.0. I think Vrana could have a 40 goal season if given the right players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad