Jakub Vrana Thread

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I love Vrana guys! Show some love to a CURRENT wing! I'm excited to see him with us.

I'm not convinced you've ever watched Vrana play but you love to talk down about the Wings, that's for sure, so I assume you'll be annoying us all when you turn on Vrana by the end of the year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
More Vrana #s

Vrana's stats in Capital's context. Last 3 years. 1000 minutes played. 5 on 5
Goals/60
1. Ovechkin 1.49
2. Vrana 1.36 (5th in NHL)
3. Wilson 0.86
4. Oshie .82

Points/60
1. Vrana 2.49 (18th in NHL)
2. Ovechkin 2.36
3. Kuznetsov 2.35
4. Wilson 1.99
5. Backstrom 1.98

Among forwards in TOI/G
1. Ovie - 14:50
2. Backstrom: 13:55
3. Kuznetsov 13:36
4. Oshie 13:27
5. Wilson 13:23
6. Vrana 12:17

Vrana was tied for first in takeaways/60. Unfortunately was 2nd worst in giveaways/60.
He was second to Ovie in Shots/60.

The on-ice stats
Vrana has the 4th best CF% on the team.
He has the best GF% on the team, by far.
His goals against/60 is among the best on the team. Much better than Wilson or Ovechkin.

Looking at his linemates:
Ranked in order of TOI
Oshie 1136 minutes
Kuznetsov 936 minutes
Backstrom 735 minutes
Eller 525 minutes.

Every single one of Vrana's top 4 linemates had a better CF with Vrana than without.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
More Vrana #s

Vrana's stats in Capital's context. Last 3 years. 1000 minutes played. 5 on 5
Goals/60
1. Ovechkin 1.49
2. Vrana 1.36 (5th in NHL)
3. Wilson 0.86
4. Oshie .82

Points/60
1. Vrana 2.49 (18th in NHL)
2. Ovechkin 2.36
3. Kuznetsov 2.35
4. Wilson 1.99
5. Backstrom 1.98

Among forwards in TOI/G
1. Ovie - 14:50
2. Backstrom: 13:55
3. Kuznetsov 13:36
4. Oshie 13:27
5. Wilson 13:23
6. Vrana 12:17

Vrana was tied for first in takeaways/60. Unfortunately was 2nd worst in giveaways/60.
He was second to Ovie in Shots/60.

The on-ice stats
Vrana has the 4th best CF% on the team.
He has the best GF% on the team, by far.
His goals against/60 is among the best on the team. Much better than Wilson or Ovechkin.

Looking at his linemates:
Ranked in order of TOI
Oshie 1136 minutes
Kuznetsov 936 minutes
Backstrom 735 minutes
Eller 525 minutes.

Every single one of Vrana's top 4 linemates had a better CF with Vrana than without.

Such is life when you are an offensive dynamo. The positive thing is that he has been good at what he does. I think we have a good idea of what to expect as he joins the team, and probably best if we don't expect much else than someone who will drive offense (specifically through transition) and understand that means he may have some lapses in zone coverage. Hopefully he takes some strides to round out his game, but as long as he produces offensively, we have room for him 100%.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Such is life when you are an offensive dynamo. The positive thing is that he has been good at what he does. I think we have a good idea of what to expect as he joins the team, and probably best if we don't expect much else than someone who will drive offense (specifically through transition) and understand that means he may have some lapses in zone coverage. Hopefully he takes some strides to round out his game, but as long as he produces offensively, we have room for him 100%.

I haven't focused on him in game, ever.

I sure like the idea of Vrana-center-Zadina.
Larkin centering a different line.

Problem is, do we have a center to do that? Namestnikov? Fabbri? Rasmussen? Veleno? Filppula? Nielsen? None of those options are appealing at the moment.

Given what caps fans say about his game, I'm really not sure he's going to get a lot of love from Blashill. Though Blashill is WAY more patient with Yzerman acquisitions.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vrana wearing #15.

Glad to see #13 off limits, but at the same time 15 is such a not sexy number. Feels kinda strange for a player like Vrana. Hopefully he makes it his.
He wore 39 with the Bears and 64 with the Caps before switching to 13. Not sure what constitutes a sexy number.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I haven't focused on him in game, ever.

Problem is, do we have a center to do that? Namestnikov? Fabbri? Rasmussen? Veleno? Filppula? Nielsen? None of those options are appealing at the moment.

Given what caps fans say about his game, I'm really not sure he's going to get a lot of love from Blashill. Though Blashill is WAY more patient with Yzerman acquisitions.

Most of the analysis that I have read suggests that Vrana plays best with with centers that can match his pace. I wouldn't assume Larkin isn't the best fit. But I do like the thought of giving Rasmussen speed on his wing.

If we could manage to get everyone healthy, a top 6 of Larkin and Ras with interchangeable wingers of Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Zadina, and Vrana would be interesting (considering our weak roster). Bertuzzi is the only guy who really doesn't have high end offensive tools, so you will always have someone capable of scoring on a line, whether it is Fabbri, Zadina or Vrana. You can swap out Bertuzzi right now and sub in Svechnikov and have 4 quality shots on the wing. Not that this is any different than it was with Mantha, but still.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Fabbri-Ras-Zadina

Vrana-Larkin-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Ras-Fabbri

Really whichever way you want to set that up (sub Svechnikov) I think it plays reasonably well for our situation. Although I wouldn't be shocked to see Panik end up out of place in the top 6.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Interesting side note that both Vrana and Panik are Czech and Hronek knows Vrana pretty well apparently. Adding some Czech mates for our Filips.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
He wore 39 with the Bears and 64 with the Caps before switching to 13. Not sure what constitutes a sexy number.

Sexy numbers: 13, 91, 81, 88, etc. Goalscoring winger numbers.

#15 makes me think of Riley Sheahan. Not exactly a noted scorer of goals.

Of course none of this really matters.

Reactions: mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ah my bad for assuming based on his birthplace being Czechoslovakia, just noticed he's on the Slovakian national team.

I suppose he technically would be Czechoslovakian considering his birthdate, but I don't know how someone would identify themselves after the split. I don't know if you can be something that doesn't exist, so I assume it goes by geographical lines?

Who knows, you make a good point about where he was technically born.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I am really intrigued by a lineup with Larkin and Vrana on the ice together. They are both great skaters and Larkin has become a pretty solid passer. It would be disappointing if they didn't play on a line together given how thin we are at center.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I suppose he technically would be Czechoslovakian considering his birthdate, but I don't know how someone would identify themselves after the split. I don't know if you can be something that doesn't exist, so I assume it goes by geographical lines?

Who knows, you make a good point about where he was technically born.
Pretty easy for him since he's ethnically a Slovak and his birth city is now in Slovakia.

If you want to talk about a mess, talk to someone from Yugoslavia. They will strongly align themselves by ethnicity, not geographic birthplace. There are quite a few Yugos in Michigan, I still have a few friends there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You think Svech, the slowest skater in this division, should be playing with Larkin but Vrana shouldn't.

I would like to have whatever it is that you've been smoking the past 2 or 3 weeks, it must be really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad