Jakub Vrana Thread

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
A poor man's Athanasiou

Yikes.

Everyone seems very confident that Yzerman traded for “Athanasiou 2.0” at the cost of Mantha when he just traded Athanasiou 1.0 for two 2nds and a cap dump.

Last I checked, no one forced Yzerman to trade Mantha.

You’re really fine with 2 cap dumps, no roster players, and no picks higher than 20-25 for a player you didn’t have to trade who was signed for 3 more years? That’s a worse return than what we got for an unsigned Tatar.

It's not everyone. It's a couple users who beyond all reason support AA and think it was entirely because Jeff Blashill is an idiot that AA flamed out and was as streaky as he was. That he was used incorrectly for years... when AA is literally performing the exact same way in LA and in Edmonton that he did in Detroit. He's about good for 0.50 PPG annually. He's better for it in LA because he was signed for a pittance and his speed is something they greatly lacked.

And also... what? Vrana isn't a cap dump. Like, at all. He's a 50 point RFA who might want 6x6, but unless he shows something different, he's not got that kind of leverage. He's getting something in the low 5s, probably similar to Bertuzzi. I don't know what you're talking about.

This whole sentence about the value is just wrong. Tatar was signed to virtually the same contract as Mantha and traded in the first season of it. 4x5.3 and he returned 30, 54, and a third round pick which is likely to be in the 70s. Vrana is absolutely a roster player. Panik is actually a roster player, even if he's a cap dump... he's an upgrade over some of the guys we've been playing at forward. Vrana, Panik, 20-25 and 50-55 is a better return than what we got for Tatar.

Nobody gives a shit about AA's P/60.
His G/60 on the other hand is the best of our franchise this millenium.
View attachment 422796

I know at least one guy who cares about AA's P/60. In fact, I think he might be the only reason we know it so well.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yikes.

It's not everyone. It's a couple users who beyond all reason support AA and think it was entirely because Jeff Blashill is an idiot that AA flamed out and was as streaky as he was. That he was used incorrectly for years... when AA is literally performing the exact same way in LA and in Edmonton that he did in Detroit. He's about good for 0.50 PPG annually. He's better for it in LA because he was signed for a pittance and his speed is something they greatly lacked.

And also... what? Vrana isn't a cap dump. Like, at all. He's a 50 point RFA who might want 6x6, but unless he shows something different, he's not got that kind of leverage. He's getting something in the low 5s, probably similar to Bertuzzi. I don't know what you're talking about.

This whole sentence about the value is just wrong. Tatar was signed to virtually the same contract as Mantha and traded in the first season of it. 4x5.3 and he returned 30, 54, and a third round pick which is likely to be in the 70s. Vrana is absolutely a roster player. Panik is actually a roster player, even if he's a cap dump... he's an upgrade over some of the guys we've been playing at forward. Vrana, Panik, 20-25 and 50-55 is a better return than what we got for Tatar.

I know at least one guy who cares about AA's P/60. In fact, I think he might be the only reason we know it so well.
I honestly don’t know what the f*** you’re talking about. Other than the comment about Tatar’s contract, none of your shit addresses me. Who the f*** said Vrana was a cap dump?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I honestly don’t know what the f*** you’re talking about. Other than the comment about Tatar’s contract, none of your shit addresses me. Who the f*** said Vrana was a cap dump?

My bad. I had the guy you responded to ignored. So your response didn't make sense to me. It makes more sense now. I thought you were the one saying Vrana and Panik were both cap dumps, but it was a guy you replied to who said that.

And I was saying that it is a small amount of the board who is lining up to call Vrana AA 2.0, guys who have routinely giving AA the benefit of the doubt and thrown all blame on the coaching staff for him flaming out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You’re really fine with 2 cap dumps, no roster players, and no picks higher than 20-25 for a player you didn’t have to trade who was signed for 3 more years? That’s a worse return than what we got for an unsigned Tatar.
First of all, you're talking about a guy who's not a GM anymore and who in a previous TDL trade gave up Forsberg for Erat. You can't judge current trades by a bad trade made by a former GM. Holland absolutely fleeced GMGM, you'll never see that kind of return for a player again, not for the Wings at least.

Judging this trade on its own merits, the way Mantha was playing, yes it's a good return. He was on a downward trajectory, and if Blash gets an extension it would have been even worse next season. There's also a chance that he may have deeper issues that the Caps won't be able to fix, but as a Caps fan I'm hoping a winning environment and a new coach can fix it.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
My bad. I had the guy you responded to ignored. So your response didn't make sense to me. It makes more sense now. I thought you were the one saying Vrana and Panik were both cap dumps, but it was a guy you replied to who said that.

And I was saying that it is a small amount of the board who is lining up to call Vrana AA 2.0, guys who have routinely giving AA the benefit of the doubt and thrown all blame on the coaching staff for him flaming out.

Haha, it’s all good. We agree on most points. I get super irritated when I feel like someone is putting words in my mouth.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He looked absolutely lost defensively but everything else was really exciting. The kid has a wicked release and used it plenty last night. The way he found the soft area and opened up for that pass from Rasmussen was something we haven't seen on this team in a while, too bad it just missed.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Missed the game. How did Vrana look?
Like a goalscorer, but defensively uncertain.

Basically the narrative that he is a better version of AA seemed to fit.

Not quite as flash hands, not quite as fast, better release, more control to his skating with the puck, better at finding soft spots when the team has possession in the zone. Was largely untested but looked a bit like AA in his own zone - in terms of trying to play D, but giving the impression that he doesn't really know what he's doing.

But this guy will score goals. Goes to the right areas. can go there with great speed, and has wicked wrister.

Reactions: ZadinaN11 and MBH

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
First 9 games for Detroit: 6g 1a.

Pretty damn good start, especially considering Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Ryan were out all those games and Larkin was out half of them.

Reactions: Tetsuo

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Vrana is the best player on our team skill wise. Wonder what Stevie is gonna give him to stay here.
Probably the same contract as Mantha, because we have less FA years to buy. But the end number will be higher, so signing him after this deal is over will cost a lot, if he continues to pile on the points.

We also have Weiss' contract coming off the books, so if we need to spend a bit more than what Mantha was getting, than we can do it with negligible difference in cap hit/season

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
Probably the same contract as Mantha, because we have less FA years to buy. But the end number will be higher, so signing him after this deal is over will cost a lot, if he continues to pile on the points.

We also have Weiss' contract coming off the books, so if we need to spend a bit more than what Mantha was getting, than we can do it with negligible difference in cap hit/season
He's such a great talent for this team, I just both parties are happy and we don't get screwed in the long run.

Reactions: golffuul

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
this guy has elite speed and elite wrister , unreal .

next season jakub 'doc' vrana joins marshal dylan on the gun smoke line

* gunslinger ' doc ' holliday

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Fortunately, RFA negotiations have been one of Yzerman's biggest strengths as a GM. I'm not particularly worried about Vrana's agent taking us into deep water.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
If this guy is purely one dimensional and only scores goals im still on board. Even if we are still losing some scoring is nice to watch. Guy can shoot and he shoots everything that comes his way which we havent seen in a while. Some of the shots he's getting off are impressive too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad