Jakub Vrana Thread

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This ^^

Remember the chatter about Mantha getting $6-8? Look it up, some thought those were realisitic #'s. How bout Bert's deal? (got way less on 1yr then all of us thought).

I'd go 3y@$4.7 or 4y@$4.9. We can't let 11gp & shiny new toy with sparkle in his eyes syndrome taint our judgement.

4 yrs from today Vrana will be 29y & 2mo. old, perfect time to trade a "still in-prime, speedy, skilled Top6 scoring winger with near elite shot/release" for a late 1st + prospect.

SY steps up to the podium to accept the Annual NHL GM's Magician's Award, having turned a lazyish Mantha into 4+yrs of Vrana + 2 late-ish 1sts + late-ish 2nd + serviceable/overpaid Panik. SY takes a bow & disappears into like a thief in the night with trophy in hand, then laughs all the way back home.

I don't see any way that Vrana, who was a 50 point winger prior to this season, gets less than 5 mil a year.
This season in 50 games Vrana had 36 points. 0.72ppg. Over a full 82 game season that's 59.04 points

Forwards with comparable production this year:
Yanni Gourde: 5.1666 mil
Matt Tkachuk: 7 mil (He had a down year)
Bo Horvat: 5.5 mil
Nino Niederreiter: 5.25 mil
William Karlsson: 5.9 mil
Cam Atkinson: 5.875 mil
Jordan Eberle: 5.5 mil
Brock Nelson: 6 mil
Anthony Mantha: 5.7 mil

Vrana's games with the Wings this year were his audition. He's looking like the kind of guy that can get 30-35 goals, 25-30 assists. Maybe even better if guys like Zadina start to bury the puck.

I'm willing to bet that Vrana's RFA contract is going to be comparable to any of the above players. 5.5 to 6 mil range for 3 years.

Reactions: majormajor

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I really like the way Yzerman trades. He has an eye for underappreciated value and although some might not have wanted to risk trading Mantha its awesome to have a GM that is willing to make the big trade.

Excited to see Vrana's potential even if consistency will probably dial this hype down over time. I think when this guy gets surrounded by the talent we are going to keep collecting in trades and drafts its going to be really fun to watch.

I also think 5.5 over 3-6 years and 6 mill on the high side if he plays hard ball

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Interesting take since he produced at a higher rate in Detroit than Washington. He was on the second line with TJ and Backstrom last season who are both much more skilled than anyone on this team.

I don't have a really good idea what the amount is going to be, but as long as it's less than 4 years and less than $5.5M, I'll be happy with it.

Edit: I'm really impressed with the way he handled this trade, getting sent to a bottom end team. Kudos on him for dealing with an emotional disappointment and going beyond expectations the last 11 games. Let's hope he continues it for 4 more years, lol.

He was with Oshie and Kusnetsov - not Backstrom. He actually played 2x as much with Eller than with Backstrom.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't see any way that Vrana, who was a 50 point winger prior to this season, gets less than 5 mil a year.
This season in 50 games Vrana had 36 points. 0.72ppg. Over a full 82 game season that's 59.04 points

Forwards with comparable production this year:
Yanni Gourde: 5.1666 mil
Matt Tkachuk: 7 mil (He had a down year)
Bo Horvat: 5.5 mil
Nino Niederreiter: 5.25 mil
William Karlsson: 5.9 mil
Cam Atkinson: 5.875 mil
Jordan Eberle: 5.5 mil
Brock Nelson: 6 mil
Anthony Mantha: 5.7 mil

Vrana's games with the Wings this year were his audition. He's looking like the kind of guy that can get 30-35 goals, 25-30 assists. Maybe even better if guys like Zadina start to bury the puck.

I'm willing to bet that Vrana's RFA contract is going to be comparable to any of the above players. 5.5 to 6 mil range for 3 years.
I don't doubt Vrana will get $4.9m+ or ++ even & he may/likely be worth it over the term 3-5yrs. The $4.9 max was the most I'm comfortable paying at this time, knowing what we know about him already. That could change I suppose. For $5 or more, I want a somewhat better 2-way game also (in addition to the offense). I think 3-4yrs @ $4.9 fits our window & his production can be replaced & traded by yr. 3 or 4, replaced internally by Raymond/Zadina etc. Some of those comps listed aren't worth their contract either. Just because a GM is foolish enough to authorize those deals, doesn't mean they're good value (as we both already know). I doubt SY gives him 5yrs, just my gut.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He won't. He shouldn't. Yzerman doesn't just throw money around like the last guy did...

Holland didn't give big dollars to RFAs, either. He gave medium size contracts to UFAs that did not deserve them. Like, he actually played hella hardball with Nyquist, Tatar, Ericsson as an RFA. It was when he could actually lose guys as UFAs that he overpaid.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He's such a great talent for this team, I just both parties are happy and we don't get screwed in the long run.

Yeah, I think it will be a good fit. Having Zadina and Hronek allows him to bond with the other Czechs. I love Vrana, the guy is fun to watch. I've been a huge Vrana guy for a while, I even bought a Vrana Caps jersey last year. I've always been biased towards skilled/speedy players, so Vrana is my guy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He was with Oshie and Kusnetsov - not Backstrom. He actually played 2x as much with Eller than with Backstrom.
Thank you for correcting me, but that really doesn't change my point, does it?

The notion that he'd produce more points with better linemates has already been disproven. He'll get more ice time with the Wings and gets to shoot more because he will be the primary shooter on whichever line he's on.

Better teammates usually means less ice time, less touches, and less PP time. Vrana will do just fine as a Wing as long as Blash and Disco let him do his thing. If Houda wants to improve his defense, then great.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Thank you for correcting me, but that really doesn't change my point, does it?

The notion that he'd produce more points with better linemates has already been disproven. He'll get more ice time with the Wings and gets to shoot more because he will be the primary shooter on whichever line he's on.

Better teammates usually means less ice time, less touches, and less PP time. Vrana will do just fine as a Wing as long as Blash and Disco let him do his thing. If Houda wants to improve his defense, then great.

You’re right, your overall point still stands, but I think it’s an important distinction considering Kuznetsov’s recent history. Usually people who chase the snowman (or stimulants in general) do so because they’re dopamine deficient to a degree, which implicates executive dysfunction/lack of ability to self-motivate. It would seem to me that a guy like Vrana, who has his own consistency issues, would be a particularly bad fit alongside a guy like that. The fact that there are now rumors that the Caps are considering moving on from Kuznetsov adds more fuel to that fire in my mind.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You’re right, your overall point still stands, but I think it’s an important distinction considering Kuznetsov’s recent history. Usually people who chase the snowman (or stimulants in general) do so because they’re dopamine deficient to a degree, which implicates executive dysfunction/lack of ability to self-motivate. It would seem to me that a guy like Vrana, who has his own consistency issues, would be a particularly bad fit alongside a guy like that. The fact that there are now rumors that the Caps are considering moving on from Kuznetsov adds more fuel to that fire in my mind.
I don't think Vrana has a motivational issue, he always wants to score. He needs to be on a team where that's his primary role. I think the Caps coaches were too hard on his defensive lapses because they have so many guys that can score. As long as he scores, the other guys on this team can compensate for the defensive lapses. He found a team where he's a better fit. I hope Blash doesn't screw him up too much, and let's him focus on what he's good at.

Stars and athletes do coke because they find real life boring compared to being on the stage. I don't think Kuz or Huddler are doing it to get motivated for games. I know a guy who does that stuff, he doesn't do it before going on stage, it's when he's bored.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't think Vrana has a motivational issue, he always wants to score. He needs to be on a team where that's his primary role. I think the Caps coaches were too hard on his defensive lapses because they have so many guys that can score. As long as he scores, the other guys on this team can compensate for the defensive lapses. He found a team where he's a better fit. I hope Blash doesn't screw him up too much, and let's him focus on what he's good at.

Stars and athletes do coke because they find real life boring compared to being on the stage. I don't think Kuz or Huddler are doing it to get motivated for games. I know a guy who does that stuff, he doesn't do it before going on stage, it's when he's bored.

I never said Vrana had a motivational issue nor do I believe he does, but being stapled to a guy like Kuznetsov when you have your own consistency issues can’t possibly help. And, like I said, the fact that the Caps are considering moving on for the guy speaks volumes.

As for coke itself, it’s cute that you “know a guy who does it,” lol. I’d say at least 1/3 of my colleagues use it occasionally while a not-insignificant number use it habitually. It’s very common in my line of work. And with the pro bono work I do, it’s very common to read psych process notes on people who abuse it. In other words - Im very familiar with it and those who consume it. I don’t know anyone who does it because they’re bored, though, although I’m sure some do…but that’s honestly a really weird take. (Unless by “bored” they actually mean anhedonic.) You do it cause it’s hella fun, gives you energy/focus/confidence, and makes you feel good. Everyone I know does it to take their parties to the next level or to give themselves a pick-me-up during long work hours or to meet a deadline. Obviously the amount you consume and the quality varies widely.

Tangent aside, the net effect is to motivate you - be it to act, talk, or to engage in physical extracurriculars. It is absolutely performance-enhancing in some respects.

Regarding Hudler, I’m not sure why that’s relevant, unless there’s more going on with Hudler that I don’t know about, but he was out of the NHL at the time of his “newsworthy” demand for cocaine, which says nothing of habitual use. He was drunk and belligerent - that’s prime time to want coke if you’ve used it before. And that’s the issue with Kuznetsov’s use - he tested positive at a time when he reasonably could’ve expected to be tested for it. YMMV, but cocaine is usually out of your system in a couple days unless you’re a habitual user, so the implication with Kuznetsov is that he’s either a habitual user or couldn’t help himself from using despite knowing he was going to be tested.

Even if Kuznetsov didn’t originally have an underlying executive dysfunction issue, habitual coke use is a great way to manufacture that problem for yourself.

To top it all off, the Caps had known about this issue for some time, and were trying to deal with it internally with varying degrees of success, at least from what I’ve read/heard.

(Really) long story short, Kuznetsov’s situation is a stand-out issue here.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Have you ever been to a restaurant? There's a 68.3% chance that your server did coke in the kitchen later that night after close.

I made that % up, but it wasn't until I entered a restaurant-adjacent industry 12 years ago that I realized the extent to which the pearl railway runs through the restaurant world.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Probably nothing, though I will say I know a ton of people who do it and I don't know anyone who does it because they are bored. But I also can't speak for all the nose candy aficionados out there. There are a lot.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Have you ever been to a restaurant? There's a 68.3% chance that your server did coke in the kitchen later that night after close.

I made that % up, but it wasn't until I entered a restaurant-adjacent industry 12 years ago that I realized the extent to which the pearl railway runs through the restaurant world.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Probably nothing, though I will say I know a ton of people who do it and I don't know anyone who does it because they are bored. But I also can't speak for all the nose candy aficionados out there. There are a lot.

Can confirm. I've got some friends that work in the restaurant world as chefs and servers at high end places that would tell stories about schniffin schneef in the bathroom before going back to work.

Late night jobs and high stress environments can lead to really unhealthy lifestyles. Also having a good disposable income doesn't hurt in supplying this kind of habit.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He won't. He shouldn't. Yzerman doesn't just throw money around like the last guy did...
He will and he should. He is top line offensive talent only thing Larkin has over him is his defensive game, otherwise Larkin is 2nd liner and maybe even not center on any other team. It hurts me to say it, i really hope he bounces back next season, but his tunnel vision and iq are huge problem.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He will and he should. He is top line offensive talent only thing Larkin has over him is his defensive game, otherwise Larkin is 2nd liner and maybe even not center on any other team. It hurts me to say it, i really hope he bounces back next season, but his tunnel vision and iq are huge problem.

Well this will be fun to come back to in a few months. Also, that's a poor eval of Larkin.

If Vrana gets more than Larkin, which is also more than all the relevant comps, then something has gone wrong in Detroit.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Well this will be fun to come back to in a few months. Also, that's a poor eval of Larkin.

If Vrana gets more than Larkin, which is also more than all the relevant comps, then something has gone wrong in Detroit.
Laviolette is idiot he was just afraid that vrana will take huge chunk of their cap space, because he was best 5on5 scorer on Caps team, so he lowered his icetime demoted him zo 3rd line and stopped hiving him pp minutes, yet he was still producing like absolute madman on that 3rd line. Maybe you don't know this, but he was best Czech prospect in his draft year Zacha was considered 2nd and Pastrnak was wait for it.... 3rd! Anything under 6mil per/yr will be massive robbery.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
If this guy producing at 65+ point pace with only 12-14 icetime without pp, then he is elite offensive talent and you can't prove me otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad