Value of: Jake Guentzel

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Canucks called up Podkolzin today, they need some help to cover injuries but it could also be for scouting.

With Pettersson re-signed and Myers out, I think the Canucks are looking pretty hard.

1st, Podkolzin, Mikheyev and some of Lekk/Elias Pettersson Jr/Willander for Guentzel and Marcus Pettersson?
As much of a premium asset as Jake is, so is Marcus Pettersson. Easily the Penguins best defensive dman and signed to a very good deal this year and next.

Lekkerimaki 100% in the deal if that's the case. Willander really guts the prospect pool so I'm not sure they do that but I'd be looking at something like Lekk+Pettersson+Hoglander+1st.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
As much of a premium asset as Jake is, so is Marcus Pettersson. Easily the Penguins best defensive dman and signed to a very good deal this year and next.

Lekkerimaki 100% in the deal if that's the case. Willander really guts the prospect pool so I'm not sure they do that but I'd be looking at something like Lekk+Pettersson+Hoglander+1st.

I'm actually fine moving Hoglander, but I'd struggle to do both Lekk + Pettersson if I'm moving Hoglander.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Canucks called up Podkolzin today, they need some help to cover injuries but it could also be for scouting.

With Pettersson re-signed and Myers out, I think the Canucks are looking pretty hard.

1st, Podkolzin, Mikheyev and some of Lekk/Elias Pettersson Jr/Willander for Guentzel and Marcus Pettersson?

I think adding both Guentzel and Pettersson in a single package makes the price untenable for the Canucks.

Speaking of the Canucks, I think most people agree on the general neighborhood of the Guentzel price, but including Pettersson adds a ton more value. I'd personally want both Lekkerimaki and Willander if I'm trading both Guentzel and Pettersson, which the Canucks wouldn't do.

If Guentzel would be coming with an extension, I could see that as more possible. But even then, I think the Canucks wouldn't bite the bullet on it, unless it was pretty much just Lekkerimaki, Willander and cap dumps for Guentzel with an extension and Pettersson.

Reactions: domaug and 66-30-33

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Canucks don't need Marcus Pettersson, I don't know why fans even think there's a fit for him with Hughes, Soucy, Zadorov already on the left side. Pittsburgh shouldn't be dealing Pettersson either as they have a weak left side as it is.
Zadorov is a UFA and Pettersson is significantly better than Soucy.

Reactions: domaug

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Zadorov is a UFA and Pettersson is significantly better than Soucy.
So? It's all about this year not next. They might re-sign Zadorov or someone else to replace him. They're not going to add Pettersson and have Zadorov sit in the press box for the playoffs. Guentzel and maybe Ruhwedel would be the target. Rather than trade more prospects though, Canucks should be looking to flip Lindholm to the Rangers or Canes and then have that team send some prospects to the Pens for Guentzel. Also, I don't think there are too many suitors for Guentzel and the price won't be as steep as Pens fans like. Canucks, Vegas, maybe the Oilers. Other teams have other needs like center and defense.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I think for Vancouver Mikheyev has to be included for cap reasons. Since one roster player is gone, it’s highly unlikely two will be included in the deal because JR and PA doesn’t want to disrupt chemistry.

Saying that I think Canucks best offer is Mikheyev, Podkolzin and Raty given that PIT wants two prospects.

That’s for JG as a rental.
If Tocchet doesn't play Podkolzin, Sully damn sure wont. Raty is meh.

Reactions: Sideline

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
He's out 4 weeks? So likely back a bit after the trade deadline? Hmm
Jake Guentzel is taking part in the Penguins optional morning skate wearing a white no-contact jersey. It’s the first time he’s participated in the official portion of a practice - until this point of the trip, he’d been coming on late.

— Pens Inside Scoop (@PensInsideScoop) March 2, 2024

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
If Tocchet doesn't play Podkolzin, Sully damn sure wont. Raty is meh.
Podkolzin isn’t playing for the same reason Hoglander didn’t last year. Management felt they were rushed by previous management and wanted both players to play a full season in AHL before bringing them back to NHL. He’s been recalled this week, will be interesting to see how he looks. He was a 10th overall pick, theres potential there.

Reactions: gianni

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Podkolzin isn’t playing for the same reason Hoglander didn’t last year. Management felt they were rushed by previous management and wanted both players to play a full season in AHL before bringing them back to NHL. He’s been recalled this week, will be interesting to see how he looks. He was a 10th overall pick, theres potential there.
I read the article with all the Tocchet quotes about Podkolzin. Your statement is false. The article is on hf somewhere. I'm not looking for it.
Ok, your article could have a bit a truth.
But after reading Tocchet's quotes and poster's remarks, the kid isn't NHL material.
Dubas will be looking for prospects that can play in the NHL now.
Because they sure don't have anyone in the AHL of stepping in. Except possibly Poulin and he'll most likely be just a bottom sixer if he ever makes it.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
So? It's all about this year not next. They might re-sign Zadorov or someone else to replace him. They're not going to add Pettersson and have Zadorov sit in the press box for the playoffs. Guentzel and maybe Ruhwedel would be the target. Rather than trade more prospects though, Canucks should be looking to flip Lindholm to the Rangers or Canes and then have that team send some prospects to the Pens for Guentzel. Also, I don't think there are too many suitors for Guentzel and the price won't be as steep as Pens fans like. Canucks, Vegas, maybe the Oilers. Other teams have other needs like center and defense.
I don't think there have been many opportunities to add a high end scorer with big playoff experience for potentially 3M (Pens retain half)...obviously this makes it better for the team garnering Jake with an extension...

Regardless the Pens have no reason to sell him cheap. If a team like the Nucks or Vegas think this is the year they'll give up value. If not good luck.

I'm at peace resigning Jake or trading him for a high end prospect package. No sweat either way. The pressure is on people like Rutherford who have the chance to win and need to hedge their bets...and Pens fans know how Jimmy deals when he likes a player.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I read the article with all the Tocchet quotes about Podkolzin. Your statement is false. The article is on hf somewhere. I'm not looking for it.
Ok, your article could have a bit a truth.
But after reading Tocchet's quotes and poster's remarks, the kid isn't NHL material.
Dubas will be looking for prospects that can play in the NHL now.
Because they sure don't have anyone in the AHL of stepping in.
Except possibly Poulin and he'll most likely be just a bottom sixer if he ever makes it.
You literally described Podkolzin. He has proven he can play a top 9 role before. He’s been recalled - we’ll see if he has worked on his game and improved, he’s still young.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
If the Canucks aren’t willing to even trade Hoglander for Guentzel, there’s not a chance in hell they get him. There’s no reason to have any discussion beyond that. Teams don’t pull off Guentzel caliber players, even as rentals, if they’re only willing to pay scraps for it.
Enjoy Anthony Duclair lol.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
There no way I want the Canucks to gut their futures another rental. We're going to need these young guys on ELC's going forward.
The value of Guentzel, in my books, is a 1st and a good prospect (Lekk) or a 2nd and a good prospect (Lekk) and a player (Hoglander). Both easy passes from me.
Buuuut, I might be talked into something around Boeser for Guentzel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad