Value of: Jake Guentzel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’ve seen posters make comments like this before, but has JR done anything similar to trading a top 30/40 prospect for a rental?

I didn't mean that as in "JR is an idiot", I meant that JR is hyper aggressive and will pay whatever price to acquire a player he likes. He has explicitly said that in the past.

Trading Lekkerimaki for a rental Guentzel would be an extreme example, but he has a track record of saying "screw the price, I want this player" with trades in the past. Kapanen is a glaring example of this, when he traded 16th overall and Hallander for him despite Toronto needing to clear cap space. That's basically the return that Vancouver got for Horvat last deadline.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
As I said before, I think Mikheyev + Lekkerimaki would make sense for Guentzel. Pittsburgh gets a prospect to replace him and Mikheyev maybe bounces back next year in Pittsburgh. Canucks clear cap space to sign Guentzel or some of their own free agents. Dubas is very familiar with Mikheyev. Also, Canucks get a trial period to see how Guentzel meshes with their centers.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If I'm Vancouver I'm only trading Lekkermaki for an extended Guentzel, not taking a risk of him walking after the season.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I didn't mean that as in "JR is an idiot", I meant that JR is hyper aggressive and will pay whatever price to acquire a player he likes. He has explicitly said that in the past.

Trading Lekkerimaki for a rental Guentzel would be an extreme example, but he has a track record of saying "screw the price, I want this player" with trades in the past. Kapanen is a glaring example of this, when he traded 16th overall and Hallander for him despite Toronto needing to clear cap space. That's basically the return that Vancouver got for Horvat last deadline.
Yea, but that’s for a player that was signed for another 7 years, through his prime. I’d gladly do that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No sense in trading an injured player until closer to the deadline. This is going to hold up the winger market.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

We're not hearing any particularly new names. Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver and Florida are the teams heavily interested, while Carolina is also interested but not likely (or not expected) to pay the huge price Guentzel will command.

Reactions: gimbznyr

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That was Kessel, not Kapanen.
My bad, read quickly and just saw Kapanen and Toronto.

I get what you’re saying with regards to JR always wanting to get his guy, but it’s also been reported that the Canucks aren’t likely to move any of their higher level picks/prospects for a rental.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My bad, read quickly and just saw Kapanen and Toronto.

I get what you’re saying with regards to JR always wanting to get his guy, but it’s also been reported that the Canucks aren’t likely to move any of their higher level picks/prospects for a rental.

Yeah I think it's insanely unlikely, I just wouldn't outright say it's not going to happen when it comes to JR.

If it's a rental trade, it's probably something Hoglander, a prospect like Raty and a 2025 1st for Guentzel.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
My point with that was that JR paid an insane price for Kapanen because he wanted to get his guy. I just mentioned Horvat to show how much JR paid to get Kapanen.
I completely understood that. I know JR won't take no for an answer lol. I was responding to the othet guy.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Yeah I think it's insanely unlikely, I just wouldn't outright say it's not going to happen when it comes to JR.

If it's a rental trade, it's probably something Hoglander, a prospect like Raty and a 2025 1st for Guentzel.

No cap space for that trade. Mikheyev has to be included. Unless they send Myers to LTIR.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No cap space for that trade. Mikheyev has to be included. Unless they send Myers to LTIR.

Yeah I think it's a given either Garland or Mikheyev would be included. I was just referring to what the actual "value" of the trade will likely be for a rental Guentzel.

Reactions: Tact

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I would be cool with Mikheyev, Hoglander, Podkolzin and a 1st.

Seems wild to take two roster pieces off the Canucks though given how good they've been this year.
Mikheyev I think they could move but Hoglander seems like a really well liked guy in the organization is scoring at a 20+ goal pace playing mostly from the 4th line. Highly doubtful he’s available.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Hey EMP, How about Lekkerimaki + Mikheyev + 2025 1st + 2025 2nd + 2025 3rd for Guenztel + Pettersson

UNDER THE CONDITION GUENZTEL AGREES TO EXTENSION

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hey EMP, How about Lekkerimaki + Mikheyev + 2025 1st + 2025 2nd + 2025 3rd for Guenztel + Pettersson

WTF??? why are we giving you Petts for basically free? he's another player that has good trade value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That's very bad for the Penguins. That value alone isn't that far off from Guentzel with an extension alone.

Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and a 2025 1st for Guentzel with an extension seems reasonable, which leaves a 2nd and 3rd for Pettersson.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
WTF??? why are we giving you Petts for basically free? he's another player that has good trade value.

I mean Lekkerimaki + 1st is more than fair for Guentzel. And a 2nd + 3rd + Mikheyev for Petterson also seems relatively fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad