Value of: Jake Guentzel

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
If he's coming with a 7 year 8m extension?

Might be in the minority of Rangers fans but I'd trade Kakko and our next 2 1sts and another piece that would beanything else not on the roster not named Othmann or Perreault

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1st
Wallinder (top 4 LHD prospect)
Berggren (NHL ready cheap fwd top 6 potential)
Ben Chiarot/Olli Maatta

for Geuntzel

I'd want Wallinder subbed out for a better prospect, since he really doesn't seem to be having a good year in the AHL this year, but Maatta, Berggren and a 1st as the other pieces is a really good start.

Sub out Wallinder for Buium and I'd be pretty happy with that package.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Pens aren’t that far out of a playoff spot. As much as I would hate to lose Guentzel for nothing, I would also hate to see the Pens throw in the towel on this season.

Also, if we can get rid of guys like Smith and Rakell we can easily afford to retain JG and I bet he would re-sign if we offer him fair market value in a contract. So we may not end up losing him for nothing

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pens aren’t that far out of a playoff spot. As much as I would hate to lose Guentzel for nothing, I would also hate to see the Pens throw in the towel on this season.

Also, if we can get rid of guys like Smith and Rakell we can easily afford to retain JG and I bet he would re-sign if we offer him fair market value in a contract. So we may not end up losing him for nothing
Who would want Rakell!??

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Who would want Rakell!??
Idk haha

But Reilly will only have 1 year left and is still decent. Plus Carter will be gone. Those 2 guys gone would easily give JG his raise

Getting rid of Rakell would be a bonus but not necessary in this case

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What happened to him? He used to be good.
51pts in 46gp (with a 37 goal pace) is still good.

One thing for people to consider - his goal scoring is down "a bit" but consider that the Pen PP% is like 31st so the vast majority of his product is 5v5 AND Crosby found a renewed love for shooting the puck so Sid's goal total is up which has Jake's down a but (however his assist total in up).

Maatta/Chiarot, Berggen, Buium, 1st would be a solid return. If taking back Maatta or Chiarot, I would want no protection on that 1st. If there are any protections, I may want to see either swapped out for a different roster player such as Sprong with retention coming on Jake (or us adding something).

That 1st could potentially be used to get the other Buium in the draft, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I'd want Wallinder subbed out for a better prospect, since he really doesn't seem to be having a good year in the AHL this year, but Maatta, Berggren and a 1st as the other pieces is a really good start.

Sub out Wallinder for Buium and I'd be pretty happy with that package.
Honestly buium doesn't have the skating to be a big enough impact on the blue line to be a acceptable centerpiece in a trade for Jake and berggen is a middle sixer who has a better chance of be a great third liner than a good player on the second so again not the centerpiece.

One of those would need to be subbed out for a higher ceiling prospect forward.

So kaspar and berggen or Danielson and buium, especially if the pens are taking back a bad contract at defense.

That's my opinion at least, especially when looking at what the flames got for for Lindholm.

Actually a similar Lindholm package would probably be a 1st, kaspar or Danielson, one of berggen/buium and a Rasmussen level NHL forward.

They are stacked with young players and good prospects so losing two quality ones will not hurt them long term and If the redwings take Jake and sign him to replace either perron or Kane in their top six they automatically jump into playoff team for the foreseeable future, who, with the right supplementary moves became a real challenger out of the east

• Haha
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Honestly buium doesn't have the skating to be a big enough impact on the blue line to be a acceptable centerpiece in a trade for Jake and berggen is a middle sixer who has a better chance of be a great third liner than a good player on the second so again not the centerpiece.

So kaspar and berggen or Danielson and buium, especially if the pens are taking back a bad contract at defense.

That's my opinion at least, especially when looking at what the flames got for for Lindholm.

Actually a similar Lindholm package would probably be a 1st, kaspar or Danielson, one of berggen/buium and a Rasmussen level NHL forward.

They are stacked with young players and good prospects so losing two quality ones will not hurt them long term and If the redwings take Jake and sign him to replace either perron or Kane in their top six they automatically jump into playoff team for the foreseeable future, who, with the right supplementary moves became a real challenger out of the east
If you think you get a 1st, Kasper (8OA center) Berggren and Rasmussesn for UFA Jake Guentzel then I've got some real bad news lol

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
51pts in 46gp (with a 37 goal pace) is still good.

One thing for people to consider - his goal scoring is down "a bit" but consider that the Pen PP% is like 31st so the vast majority of his product is 5v5 AND Crosby found a renewed love for shooting the puck so Sid's goal total is up which has Jake's down a but (however his assist total in up).

Maatta/Chiarot, Berggen, Buium, 1st would be a solid return. If taking back Maatta or Chiarot, I would want no protection on that 1st. If there are any protections, I may want to see either swapped out for a different roster player such as Sprong with retention coming on Jake (or us adding something).

That 1st could potentially be used to get the other Buium in the draft, lol.

He wasn't talking about Guenztel, he was talking Rakell when he said what happened to him he used to be good.

You can't be serious. You wouldn't get a prospect the level of Kasper or Danielson for a rental. You expect them to add a 1st and even more after it?

There's a big difference in Vancouver 1st vs Detroit 1st also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
He wasn't talking about Guenztel, he was talking Rakell when he said what happened to him he used to be good.

You can't be serious. You wouldn't get a prospect the level of Kasper or Danielson for a rental. You expect them to add a 1st and even more after it?

There's a big difference in Vancouver 1st vs Detroit 1st also.
The redwings aren't trading for a player like Jake for a rental this year, that would be a stupid waste of assets.

They should only be trading for him with either an extension in place or knowing they can resign him to be a long term left winger next to larkins.

He's a guy who for the next 5 years is putting up potentially between 30 and 40 goals in that spot each year going forward.

So yeah I'm expecting a major asset back. I said either Danielsson and buium OR kaspar and berggen with the first IF a cap dump the level of maata or chariot is included is fair.

And I believe it is with the assumption Detroit is keeping Jake long term which is the only way a trade with Detroit makes sense.
Neither Danielsson or kaspar would make as much of an impact of Detroit's ability to be successful over the next five seasons, while larkin/decat are in their primes and Raymond is reaching his full potential as having Jake would, and Detroit would only lose one of them and still have a rather flush

I used the top prospect, plus b-minus, plus 1st, plus useful right now level nhler to compare what Vancouver gave up. And even in that kuzmenko is a hell of a lot better player than Rasmussen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is Guentzel even available?

It would be absurd for PIT to keep him with their current record and him being unsigned.

We are 7 pts out of the playoffs at the 50 game mark.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Seems like Detroit is better off spending assets on a G or D. Guentzel is good but plays a similar style as Kane, DCat, Raymond. I don’t see the need for him
interestingly enough, our defense is playing much better and more sound with Lyon in net (who woulda thunk it). We have depth scoring and adding another top end scorer would be helpful. I think we would rather have buchnevich because of his two way play, not sure if guentzel has that ability too or not.

With Guentzel, our top 6 would be

Guentzel - larkin - raymond
dbc - compher - kane

Guentzel is a monumental upgrade to perron with larkin/raymond, so there is still a need. The problem is, I don't see Yzerman giving him a long contract like that 7 years others are talking about. I could see him giving him a 3-4 year deal but it probably wont be more or that much more than what DBC is making. I would assume the contract would be eerily similar to dbc, if accepted.

Other wings fans want to trade a LHD to create the room for Edvinsson. Like trading Ghost/maatta (seems like these two are the consensus). We would probably be happy with adding ghost and maybe even retention to the deal.

We are 7 pts out of the playoffs at the 50 game mark.
I will say...you do have games in hand last time I looked. and I don't think PHI is going to be able to hang on to that last spot in the division

Reactions: Bijelo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad