Jack, Dahlin, Reinhart vs Matthews, Marner, Rielly

Best going forward.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What will this be based on? I'm curious what your expectations are for Matthews this year in order for him to justify that ranking. Second to McDavid in points? Tops in goals? Combination of the two?

I have zero issue with someone believing Matthews will be the 2nd best player in hockey IF they're also expecting him to finish just after McDavid statistically. But if Matthews finishes 10th in points or whatever after saying he's going to be the 2nd best player after McDavid, then would you be willing to admit he fell short of expectations?
Hart trophy voting.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Toronto.

Reinhart while a good player just isn’t the same tier as the other guys.

Reactions: Hustlr

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Again, find me someone that can touch Dahlin. Ekblad doesn't hold a candle to him, more physically mature and sheltered. Team wasn't great last year. Revel in the fact that Dahlin is only 2 games into the season while you can.

Also miss me with the whole Matthews joined both Marner, Nylander, even your goalie, newish coach and solo carried the team into the first of 3 1st round exits shtick.
Ummm Housley, finished top 10 in points as an 18 year old among D-men. Ekblad's season was very comparable.

Matthews was the best player as a D+1 player on a playoff team. Did I say solo carried? No. I said the best player on a playoff season, and the best goal scoring season by a D+1 rookie relative the league since the draft was created.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Marner > Reinhart
Dahlin >> Rielly

Eichel and Matthews are a wash.
For the time being, Dahlin and Rielly are close.
I'll grant Matthews and Eichel being arguable or a wash, although, I doubt many others would.
But Reinhart, while a solid young player, isn't close to Marner at this point in their careers.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
This should be voted on after Reinhart signs an extension.

Then you can factor in all factors, Dahlin in his second year on an ELC, and everyone else's contracts, etc.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I know rielly and reinhart are good, but if I were starting a franchise, I'd be more focused on the other 4 players. And I'd be more interested in the elite center + elite defenseman package than the elite center + elite winger package.

Eichel + dahlin for me.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this is the leafs easily. anyone who says otherwise is either a buffalo fan, or biased against the leafs

59g/191pts in 241 games VS 83g/239pts in 232 games

lock it up

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I know rielly and reinhart are good, but if I were starting a franchise, I'd be more focused on the other 4 players. And I'd be more interested in the elite center + elite defenseman package than the elite center + elite winger package.

Eichel + dahlin for me.

so ignore the 72pt dman on torontos end, and the 65pt winger on buffalos end?

yeah thats a fair trade-off. Rielly is pretty elite btw. TSN and NHL.com both have him at #7.

The only thing buffalo has is that Dahlin might be better than rielly in 2-3 years. Eichel will never be as good as Matthews and Reinhart will never even be mentioned in the same convo as marner

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews>Eichel
Marner>>>>>Reinhart
Rielly>Dahlin (right now)

tough call lol

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Do you really not know who Rasmus Dahlin is? Eichel is literally not worse than Matthews :dunno:

except he is . matthews hit 40g as a rookie and was a ppg+ player year 2. Eichel hasnt hit 30g yet and didnt have ppg+ until year 4. One has helped the worst team in the league to three straight playoff spots averaging 100pts while the other hasnt played a playoff game in 4 years.

tsn has matthews at 6 and eichel at 29
NHL.com has matthews at 13 and eichel at 42

there is literally no metric that shows eichel as being better. dude would be the 4th best forward on the leafs

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
More like Rielly is so underrated. People have Dahlin >> Rielly in here.

Dahlin is a FAR superior defender. He may not put up the number of points that Rielly does, but he also isn't continually on the ice with high production players.
Rielly is a good overall player, but I'm pretty sure there are at least 20 other defensemen who would put up his numbers and play a better defense if put in his position.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dahlin is a FAR superior defender. He may not put up the number of points that Rielly does, but he also isn't continually on the ice with high production players.
Rielly is a good overall player, but I'm pretty sure there are at least 20 other defensemen who would put up his numbers and play a better defense if put in his position.
Those are the same comments that were said about Duncan Keith and guess what, Keith will still be a hall of fame defender with a Norris and multiple cups.

As for Dahlin, I’m expecting a Legendary season from him this year with the amount of ass kissing being shown. The guy is far superior than a top 7 defender who was top 5 in Norris voting last year with a 72 pt season? This far superior dman should be a lock for the Hart let alone the Norris.

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'd rank em:

Matthews
Dahlin
Marner
Eichel
Rielly
Reinhart

I'd take the Leafs trio. Rielly is still a great dman and I prefer the Leafs forwards.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Those are the same comments that were said about Duncan Keith and guess what, Keith will still be a hall of fame defender with a Norris and multiple cups.

As for Dahlin, I’m expecting a Legendary season from him this year with the amount of ass kissing being shown. The guy is far superior than a top 7 defender who was top 5 in Norris voting last year with a 72 pt season? This far superior dman should be a lock for the Hart let alone the Norris.
Be careful with calling Rielly a top 7 defender. He is middle of the pack at best and feeds off of playing with amazingly talented forwards.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

You know this is for the next 10 years right? You should very well expect a legendary career for Dahlin.

No one really said he is ">>>" right now (although I have said Dahlin would surpass him by the end of this year or next at the latest)

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Thinking about it, since this is the next 10 years we are talking about, how can anyone pick toronto?

Reilly is 25 and Dahlin is 19. Enjoy your 30yr old player while we have a 24 year old Norris stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad