Jack, Dahlin, Reinhart vs Matthews, Marner, Rielly

Best going forward.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Interesting that you dont know what the award is.

Gio won the Norris by the way, not sure if you're aware of that, also didnt have the most points for a dman but dont let reality stand in the way of your FACTS

Here is a fact, Rielly choked up the puck again last night, directly resulting in a goal against. The guy is lost in his own end.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Ya, Mike Green with zero Norris wins for his crazy high scoring offensive seasons in Washington says hi.
If you are insinuating that Rielly is a good defender, you are being disingenuous.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If you are insinuating that Rielly is a good defender, you are being disingenuous.
The only thing I’m suggesting with my post is that the notion that the Norris is a trophy given for solely offensive production is a fallacy and I’m using Mike Green’s huge offensive years with no Norris trophies as an example.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Man, this thread delivered. In both extremes, good and bad. lol

Aside from the extremes and the homerism, I think a lot will depend on the coaching the Sabres get going forward. If they have the right coach, or get one soon enough, it will be real close. If not, I think Toronto stays comfortably ahead.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Here is a fact, Rielly choked up the puck again last night, directly resulting in a goal against. The guy is lost in his own end.

Whats even more interesting is he is the first defensman to ever cough a puke up in his own end resulting in a goal. We should probably cut him.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The only thing I’m suggesting with my post is that the notion that the Norris is a trophy given for solely offensive production is a fallacy and I’m using Mike Green’s huge offensive years with no Norris trophies as an example.

Actually, Green works against your argument because he finished 2nd in Norris trophy voting two years in a row because of his offensive totals, despite being horrible defensively. He's proof that Norris trophy voters *do* put a huge emphasis on a defenseman's offense.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Whats even more interesting is he is the first defensman to ever cough a puke up in his own end resulting in a goal. We should probably cut him.
Of course not. A player like Rielly can be valuable, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an average, at best, defender. Does that make you a Norris finalist? Apparently so.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Rielly is a defensive black hole but Matthews/Marner > Eichel/Reinhart unless Reinhart suddenly has a break out season and lives up to his potential. Then you look at Dahlin.... IMO this is a toss up

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I think all would agree he will be significantly better than Reilly in 5 years.

Matty no rockets still isn't "quite a bit ahead" of Eichel, we will see Reinhart this year to gauge any gaps.

Man this will be a good one in a couple years (the thread).

lol youre crazy if you think ANY player with 1 year of experience is a lock to be "significantly" better than a top 10 D-man in 5 years. It could happen - he has super high potential. But you are pretty much guaranteeing he becomes a generational defenseman.

I don't even know how to address the rest of what you said. If you would take Reinhart over marner then this discussion isnt worth having. i love how your reasoning is that Reinhart can still improve and yet Marner is younger...

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Actually, Green works against your argument because he finished 2nd in Norris trophy voting two years in a row because of his offensive totals, despite being horrible defensively. He's proof that Norris trophy voters *do* put a huge emphasis on a defenseman's offense.
But they still voted someone who didn’t have nearly the amount of points that he had ahead of him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But they still voted someone who didn’t have nearly the amount of points that he had ahead of him.

But the discussion going on that initiated this was whether or not Rielly was good defensively, and someone pointing out that his 5th place Norris finish was due to voters placing an emphasis on offense when voting.

So bringing up Green as an example of why Rielly's defense is fine because of his 5th place Norris trophy voting seems odd considering Green twice finished 2nd in Norris voting, despite being iffy in his own zone.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
somewhere in a Alternate Universe Babyyyyyy

Oloffson-Matthews-Marner
Skinner-Mittlestadt-MoJo

Rielly-Risto
Mccabe-Miller

Johnsson-Eichel-Nylander
Kapanen-Tarvares-Reinhart

Muzzin-Dahlin
Barrie-Ceci

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
lol youre crazy if you think ANY player with 1 year of experience is a lock to be "significantly" better than a top 10 D-man in 5 years. It could happen - he has super high potential. But you are pretty much guaranteeing he becomes a generational defenseman.

I don't even know how to address the rest of what you said. If you would take Reinhart over marner then this discussion isnt worth having. i love how your reasoning is that Reinhart can still improve and yet Marner is younger...

Yep I'm gauranting it. Dahlin is Dahlin.
Wins this argument in skill alone, nevermind their ages in 5 years. It's gonna happen. Not sorry.

Also never said Reinhart was better but that doesn't change the fact he is underrated so...

Oh yeah, way worse than saying that Marner would be the fourth best forward on Buffalo.

Oh my bad bro I forgot, you are right.

Eichel being the 4th best forward in toronto is just as bad so I guess it's a tie between that and the Dahlin one I quoted.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Reinhart tips the scale for Toronto.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Oh my bad bro I forgot, you are right.

Eichel being the 4th best forward in toronto is just as bad so I guess it's a tie between that and the Dahlin one I quoted.
Except you could make the case that Matthews, Marner and Tavares are all as good or better than Eichel, or at the very least pick the order of those four however you want. There are just not three better players on the Sabres than Marner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad